Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Make Way for the Highway

Title of a Little Golden Book available on the internet:
    http://www.edthefed.com/papers/the_highway.pdf

Classic story of property rights.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Thanks

That story inspired me to finish my pavement design................
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Another inspirational book: "Jonathan Cleaned Up - Then He Heard a Sound : or Blackberry Subway Jam" by Robert Munsch.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Title of a Little Golden Book available on the internet:
    http://www.edthefed.com/papers/the_highway.pdf

Classic story of property rights.
    You can definitely tell the book's age by how politically "INcorrect" the story line is.
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Here's my favorite kids' planning book, "The Little House":

http://www.amazon.com/Little-House-V...e=UTF8&s=books

The little house is in the country and over time, becomes surrounded by a city.

I got this for my neieces and nephew.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I loved "The Little House" but I guess I didn't really get the message because I thought it was really cool when the subway appeared and found the country to be rather boring and a sad ending. I will admit that that last few city images were quite negative. Looking back at it now, it would have been cool if they just built a skyscraper over the site of the little house, allowing it to form the center piece of a grand lobby.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by IlliniPlanner View post
    You can definitely tell the book's age by how politically "INcorrect" the story line is.
    ?whay is it INcorrect, what am I missing (ps. I am an idiot with PC, so I really am curious)?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    ?whay is it INcorrect, what am I missing (ps. I am an idiot with PC, so I really am curious)?
    While it is a children's book, if it were written in 2005, the book I know would have delved more into the process of (being said in "kind" child's terms) "Mayor Noxberry having little meetings with the people who live in the path of the road prior to construction regarding why their property is disappearing", better known to us as "public hearings with local and federal officials on the use and power of eminent domain resulting in the taking of their property and how they will be compensated. And PETA would have been thrown in there somewhere because the contractors were destroying the animals' habitats and killing some of them in the process. And the fact that they used Grandma in the storyline. I mean who could do such a thing to Grandma? "The kids reading the book must have been terrified and traumatized!" is what psychologists today would be saying. Recommending that Grandma be replaced with the giant lumberjack who will "back you to stand 'gainst the worst in the land...." You get the picture.

And it is almost Friday!
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Here's my favorite kids' planning book, "The Little House":

http://www.amazon.com/Little-House-V...e=UTF8&s=books

The little house is in the country and over time, becomes surrounded by a city.

I got this for my neieces and nephew.
    I get to revisit all of this with my kids. It helps me explain what the heck a planner does. ..

Don't forget Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel (same author as the Little House - Virginia Lee Burton). Mike Mulligan can't find work with Mary Ann, his steam shovel, because all of the jobs have been taken by gas and diesel shovels (there is even a sign on one page with something like "steam shovels need not apply").

So, they go to the country and agree to dig the basement for a new town hall in a day or its free. They dig it, but forget to get themselves out and now they are stuck down there. Eventually a kid suggests Mary Ann stay there and be adapted as the boiler to heat the building (smart kid...). Its adaptive reuse!

http://www.amazon.com/Mulligan-Steam.../dp/0395259398
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Nice find, JNA!!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What a gem!!!! Anyone care to maybe submit Little Golden Books an updated 21st century version? Hmm, "Stan the Code Enforcement Guy"?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What a gem!!!! Anyone care to maybe submit Little Golden Books an updated 21st century version? Hmm, "Stan the Code Enforcement Guy"?
    We could write it... however we would have to film it into an mpeg so that people could load it onto their new video I-pods. No one ‘reads’ books anymore!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    "Digger Dan" versus "Stan The Man"......be there.

Film at 11:00.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    This reminds me of the Bugs Bunny short where Bugs' hole is in the path of a planned new freeway.

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Don't forget Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel (same author as the Little House - Virginia Lee Burton). Mike Mulligan can't find work with Mary Ann, his steam shovel, because all of the jobs have been taken by gas and diesel shovels (there is even a sign on one page with something like "steam shovels need not apply").

So, they go to the country and agree to dig the basement for a new town hall in a day or its free. They dig it, but forget to get themselves out and now they are stuck down there. Eventually a kid suggests Mary Ann stay there and be adapted as the boiler to heat the building (smart kid...). Its adaptive reuse!

http://www.amazon.com/Mulligan-Steam.../dp/0395259398
    I loved that book as a kid and can't wait to read it one day to a little one of my own.
    @GigCityPlanner

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A suggestion for highway signs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 11 Jul 2012, 3:22 PM
  2. Toronto highway aerials
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Jun 2005, 3:21 PM
  3. Signs / billboards Highway signage