Urban planning community

Poll results: How many Trick or Treaters do you usually get?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • More than 100

2 4.88%
  • 50 - 99

1 2.44%
  • 20 - 50

9 21.95%
  • Fewer than 20

8 19.51%
  • We don't git no trickertreaters 'round here. Say, you got a purty mouth..

9 21.95%
  • We get trick or treaters but turn the lights off and don't answer the door

6 14.63%
  • What is this Halloween you speak of?

0 0%
  • Other (explain below)

6 14.63%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Cost of Halloween

Registered
    Feb 2004

The Cost of Halloween

Just curious, where do you purchase/obtain your pumpkins and if you don't grow your own how much do you usually pay for a pumpkin? I know in the case of Christmas trees folks that live in places like L.A. or Manhattan pay a premium, but is the same true of pumpkins?

Alot of folks around here buy them at grocery stores. A basketball-sized gourd runs about $2.50 at the local Meijer's store. If you buy them at the local farmer's market, the same size goes for about $3.00. In a bizarre twist of marketing, they cost around $4.00 if you buy them at the cider mill (where they are presumably grown on premises!)

Pumpkin trivia of the day: did you know that 90% of the pumpkins in the US are grown within a 90 mile radius of Peoria, IL?
    http://www.agmrc.org/agmrc/commodity...bles/pumpkins/
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

A kid was selling them out of the back of his dad's pickup in his driveway about a block from here for about $2.00 for a little smaller than basket-ball size. Size does matter as far as pumpkins and larger ones are more expensive.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I save my money by not buying pumpkins and turning the lights off.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I haven't handed out treats for several years. The number of trick or treaters dropped off so much, plus having a tree in the front of my house during one Halloween, I just gave up.

Pumpkins here are expensive. It's a minimum of $5 for a smallish one, even at Wal-Mart. Anyway, it's usually so warm you can only leave them out for a day after you carve them.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Don't 'do' the 'holiday' (mainly because we live in a large(ish) apartment building. But my wife will probably want to get a pumpkin in order to toast the seeds.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We usually buy a pumpkin and some candy. Don't get a lot of trick or treaters. In Helena it always seems to be really cold on Halloween. So there is a lot of trick or treating at the Mall and at one of the college dormitories, so the kids' costumes aren't covered by a coat.

We usually hit the Catholic Church haunted house, a few blocks around the church, because the people are pretty generous, then the college dorm, maybe the mall. Last year my son seemed more interested in people's houses and pets than candy.

I take my son. My wife stays home and hides in the basement from the kids.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I don't buy pumpkins, too much work.

Trick-or-treating has nearly become extinct in my neighborhood. Its stange too. Lots of kids, bit no one hands out candy. I'm to the point where I now hand out full sized Hersey Bars because I know any kids out there are going to get slim pickings. You might think this would cost a small fortune, but last year I got no one, and the year before that I got six.

A lot of the Churches and Mosques have Holloween parties to keep the kids off the streets. The sad part about this is that there were a lot more trouble makers running around when I was a child, but we were still able to run for bloccks getting candy. Nearly 95 percent of the houses were giving out back then too.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It is a conspiracy by the dental and candy industry;
    and not to say anything about the international trade for the costume industry.

About pumpkins - you have see the World Championship Punkin Chunkin Association website: http://www.worldchampionshippunkinchunkin.com/main.htm
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    The severed head that I hang on the door bell with a motion sensor that makes the eyes open and a loud scream keeps the kiddies away.

Seriously though, I live in a secure building, so unless they have a key card to get in, I am not going to worry about it. I will take our puppy for a walk though. That way she will get use to little kids wearing funny costumes. We think that we are going to get a ballerina costume for her.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I think we paid $3 for ours. We don't get many trick or treaters, being at the end of a dead end street.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I don't buy pumpkins, too much work.

Trick-or-treating has nearly become extinct in my neighborhood. Its stange too. Lots of kids, bit no one hands out candy. I'm to the point where I now hand out full sized Hersey Bars because I know any kids out there are going to get slim pickings. You might think this would cost a small fortune, but last year I got no one, and the year before that I got six.

A lot of the Churches and Mosques have Holloween parties to keep the kids off the streets. The sad part about this is that there were a lot more trouble makers running around when I was a child, but we were still able to run for bloccks getting candy. Nearly 95 percent of the houses were giving out back then too.
    I know what you're saying. Some seismic shift occurred in the 30 years since I last went trick or treating. We used to pass out candy to probably over 100 kids at my house when I was growing up. I live only two blocks away from my childhood home and I have gotten ZERO trick or treaters the last three years running (and only 4 each year prior to that). Parents, nowadays take their kids to the malls or churches. It's kinda sad, really. I'm unaware of anyone locally putting razor blades in the apples or LSD in the popcorn balls, so for the life of me I can't figure WHY hardly anyone goes trick or treating anymore - I just know it can't be due to any real safety concern.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    We get probably in the 75-100 range. That is groups of kids, mostly 3-4 in a group. This is Utah afterall. We grow our own pumpkins, but my wife loves decorating the house for halloween, so she buys them too. She is a model of sustainability though, and gets them at this little garden shop about a half mile away. She even walks there with the kids in the wagon. It is pretty cool because you can pick your pumpkins and other gourds right of the vine up until a week or so before halloween.

I'm a big halloween guy. This year, we are going to several halloween parties as Margo and Richie Tennenbaum. Now i got to get around to cutting off mywifes fingere and replacing it with a wood one.

Registered
    May 2005
    Trick or treating is alive and well in Albuquerque. Last year (and the 7 years previous) we lived in a rural setting south of the city. It was dark, the houses are far apart and there are no sidewalks, so the kids were few and far between. Even so, every house had at least one pumpkin and yard decorations were very en vogue.

We did have one neighborh, though, who viewed Halloween as a sinful, pagan event and, although they gave out candy, each piece had a psalm printed out and stapled to it. Their pumkin also said "Jesus" instead of having a smile. Last year's quotable said something about repenting for your sins now and asking for forgiveness form Jesus. I didn't know if that meant I sholdn't eat the candy or what...

Now we live in downtown Albuquerque and are preparing for a veritable onslaught of candy seekers. Its a very walkable, safe, and fairly dense neighborhood, so I expect it to be a busy night.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    The severed head that I hang on the door bell with a motion sensor that makes the eyes open and a loud scream keeps the kiddies away.

Seriously though, I live in a secure building, so unless they have a key card to get in, I am not going to worry about it. I will take our puppy for a walk though. That way she will get use to little kids wearing funny costumes. We think that we are going to get a ballerina costume for her.
    I am hoping the severed head is not a real one.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Pumpkin trivia of the day: did you know that 90% of the pumpkins in the US are grown within a 90 mile radius of Peoria, IL?
    http://www.agmrc.org/agmrc/commodity...bles/pumpkins/
    Yes I did! Trust me, we don't get a break on prices for being in the middle of pumpkin growing land either.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ohhh.....MAN....

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I save my money by not buying pumpkins and turning the lights off.
    If I was even within a thousand miles of you, I'd load the family up and drive there....we'd all be dressed as developers and bang on the door of your 8' wide pre 1960 mobile until you answered you mean mean man but then again, maybe its better that the local kids have limited contact with you....he he he.... Three dollar bottles of wine may not go over well with the kids, but the parents are sure to LOVE it......make it mad dog if your in a good mood

Are you going to require that everyone in your office dresses up like the cast of gilligan's island....You could be gilligan....COME on have some fun Maybe the Beverly Hillbillies would be good too......Rumpy can be Jethro Come on....take the bait....

Every year we only get about 10 or fewer kids at the door......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Are you going to require that everyone in your office dresses up like the cast of gilligan's island....You could be gilligan....COME on have some fun Maybe the Beverly Hillbillies would be good too......Rumpy can be Jethro Come on....take the bait....
    When I worked at the main county building for 7 years, I always wanted to do The Brady Bunch, we had everyone but a "Peter" on the planning staff. sisterceleste and I would have been key players.... Nobody would go along with it....

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Here's the deal.....when this Bear resided in rural Henry County we would never get any trick or treat kids. When we moved to bedroom suburb Swanton we DID get those costume-wearing kiddies. And every year there are more!

Two years in a row we ran out of treats......and that was with a bunch of bags of treats. Guessing at about 150 kiddies.

Like most small towns surrounded by farms and rural America, all the rural kiddies come in to town for the trick and treat adventure.

Maybe this year we will do Loma Linda's instead of passing out goodies.
    _____

We don't have a pumpkin. Guessing that Suburb Repairman's relatives, just down the road from this Bear, will be charging about $3 for a basketball-sized pumpkin. His relatives have the area's largest display.....and some of the largest pumpkins.....some of their pumpkins are as big as a desk.
    _____

Katie and I are going to a Halloween party a week from Saturday.....a bit early, but it will be fun.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    If I was even within a thousand miles of you, I'd load the family up and drive there....we'd all be dressed as developers and bang on the door of your 8' wide pre 1960 mobile until you answered you mean mean man ......
    Off-topic:
    Didn’t ya’ll hear? I got me rid of the 8-foot wide. Replaced it with the double-wide. One of these days, I’m gonna strap the gal down to the cinderblocks shes a sitting on, too. Some guy comes out, said his name was Stan, tolt me the double-wide don’t meet no setbacks. I asked, “What? This is my land!” Then this Stan keeps a yammering on about distances from propery lines and site coverage and parking and heelth permits and what not. It was all Yankee talk to me. I finely tells this Stan, “Neighbors don’t have no problem.” Ain’t heard from him since. Or maybe it was the ought 6?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am not sure how many trick or treaters we get, duh, I am a single ma - I am out with the kiddies getting goodies

When I lived in Washing, MO we must have lived in "the" neighborhood, the kids were dropped off by van load, the first year we went through 4 bags of candy and had to turn the lights off!

In my parents neighborhood, where we used to trick or treat, the parents would drive the kiddies around on the golf carts (gold course community), drink heavily and let the kidsgo door to door...wasn't really my thing (the golf carts

For the past 6 years, I take off 1/2 day on Halloween, pick the boys up early and bring them down to Main Street in St. Charles. The merchants in the district all give out candy (its over 20 city blocks long, 2 sides of the street) it is so much fun and the boys get an early start (and worn out a little bit)...we come home, eat really quick and head back out with the neighbors. There are so many house here we hit less than a 1/4 of them and have pillow cases full of candy

I take the boys to the pumpkin farm 1-2 times each year, they each get 1 pumpkin...they are anywhere from 3-8$, I like the larger ones. I carve them about 2 nights before Halloween.

In case you guys can't all tell, Halloween is my FAVORITE holiday. I really like it, have since I was a kid. I used to always dress up (bartending, it was a given) now I don't always have a reason too...last year I did have to go to a ew parties so I was a Flapper girl, this year I have one party and not sure what I will wear, I have a ton of costumes from the bartending days (althoug plent of them are not appropriate for a work related party )

As a kis a looked so forward to Halloween because my b-day was 3 days later....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I thought about asking RJ to be Rumpy for the holiday by simply sticking a spoon up his butt but he won't go for it...

Moderator note:
    No smiley???? Please remember your smiley's if your intent is for irony or humor. Thanks.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 13 Oct 2006 at 8:48 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Nobody will want to climb the outdoor metal-staircase that's three flight tall into the dark on Halloween night. So, I don't need to worry about decorating my entryway in a Halloween theme or having treats for the treaters.

That means more treats for me!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well since I live in an apartment building I don't get any trick-or-treaters... at least last year... and if any kids (highly unlikely in a building which is 1/3 yuppies, 1/3 old people and 1/3 uni students (I'm making up those proportions... it's probably 1/2 yuppies 1/4 old people and the other quarter are renters and uni students)) show up this year I ain't opening...My poor folks do have lots of them back at home, but that's because lots of people come to my neighborhood just for that, nowadays my folks just run away and go eat dinner out for that specific day.

And about pumpkins... If anybody is selling real (not plastic filled with cheap candy) pumpkins here... I'm betting they're damn expensive. Try getting pumpkins at the begining of spring!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Too cheap and lazy to "do" holidays. Don't really get any trick-or-treaters because my little condo enclave is somewhat closed off and people aren't sure where are front doors are.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My daughter has given up on Halloween trick or treating. Last year she went to a Halloween party at her friend's house. I stayed home and handed out about 2 bags of candy. This was in SC which is pretty religious so the churches try and usurp the holiday and do something with a lot of kids.

This year we are in NJ. We live in family housing but 80% of the families are foreign so I am not sure what kind of turnout we will get. I'm waiting for some of the jackass undergrad's coming around to try and get candy. We don't do pumpkins anymore, I have a foam type one with an electric light and a lighted window thing in the shape of a pumpkin that I plug in. As a rule, I suck at holidays, even Christmas. I could care less.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Halloween Songs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 31 Oct 2013, 9:10 AM
  2. Halloween Costumes (if any)?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 64
    Last post: 01 Nov 2012, 3:55 PM
  3. Halloween