Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Incentive zoning

Registered
    Jan 2006

Incentive zoning

Can you cyburbanites direct me to some cities with good "incentive zoning" ordinances.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Chicago is a good example. One of the first along with NYC
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What type of incentives are you looking for? Most cities offer some sort of incentives. I know the City of Vancouver offers density bonusing to developers that contribute to public art or more amenity / open space.
    "First we shape our buildings, and then our buildings start shaping us." - Sir Winston Churchill

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm a big fan of incentive zoning but it's hard to discuss unless I know what the goal is for you - as in public art as cmd said, or for us, it's affordable housing and green building technology

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I'm a big fan of incentive zoning but it's hard to discuss unless I know what the goal is for you - as in public art as cmd said, or for us, it's affordable housing and green building technology
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. My goal is to provide incentives (i.e. density bonuses, etc.) to developers for providing better planned subdivisions in terms of better/more amenities within their developments. The amenities could be in the form of trails, usable open space/parks, swimming pools, sports facilities, public art, etc. I intend to also provide density bonuses to the developer for providing things such as pervious concrete, bio-retention and alternative energy sources, such as solar power. Has anyone else gone this far with density bonuses.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    PM me your email, i'll send you the Ordinance provision -

Registered
    Sep 2001
    For public art check out Portland Maine.

There are a few city's in BC that also have good programs. I'll have to check and get back to you on tis.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    For green building, check out Chicago's website. It also talks about their Green Rooftops program where gardens of trees, shrubs, grass are planted on residential and commercial rooftops to help conserve energy and minimize stormwater run-off. Interesting photos of City Hall's rooftop garden.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...OID=-536887205
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    There is some wonderful research done by William Whyte, which I am sure most of you are familiar with on urban design methods in small urban spaces. The title of his book is called The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces. In this he talks about Incentive Zoning in regards to adding more floors to a building when putting a courtyard or a plaza on the ground level of the building.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Sears and the incentive game
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 13 Jan 2014, 11:47 AM
  2. ED finance and incentive layering in DeKalb Co., GA
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Apr 2011, 8:18 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 02 Jun 2003, 7:38 PM