Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: First interview in 15 years

Aug 2006
    La Canada-Flintridge, CA

First interview in 15 years

Thank you for all of your advice on this thread.
    Here's the latest--I had the my first planning interview, after being out of the field for 15 years. The format was not quite what I expected, and not surprisingly--I did not make the first cut.

The details: panel interview of 3 planners, armed with a list of generic questions. Each planner asked three questions, and scored my answers. It never developed into a "conversation," nor did the questions take into an account my many years of non-planning experience. I tried to turn into a conversation about what I studied/observed in their community--and these questions were answered quite quickly, with a strong desire to return to their list of questions.

Many of the questions did not pertain to me, and I found it odd that they were asking it, as I was quite clear on my application/resume on what I had done while in the planning field, and my accomplishements/skill set, outside of the field.

I guess this was an attempt to screen people out of the process. I think they had 8 interviews scheduled on the same day as me.
    Any feedback would help.

Sep 2001
    skating on thin ice
    In many instances employers have set questions they ask and don't stray from them in order to keep things "fair" for all. Once you recognize that the questions they are asking don't relate to you or your expereinces, you should recognize that you either have to change how you are answering the questions (give them what they want) or accept that regardless of how much you want the job, you are not going to get it.

The opportunity to take control of the interview and create a conversation comes when they ask you for your questions.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 22 Oct 2013, 10:53 AM
  2. New Years
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 03 Jan 2011, 10:21 PM
  3. 500 years forward or 500 years back?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 08 Apr 2010, 5:06 PM