Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: In Paris [Broadband Recommended]

In Paris [Broadband Recommended]

There's more to come.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Wow! Paris looks a lot like Las Vegas or Detroit!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Am way way jealous
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Seconde Partie

You will notice something unusual, even eccentric, about the following three churches.

All three churches integrate an ecclectic mix of three architectural styles: roman classical, gothic and medieval romanesque. Despite combining three completely different styles, the churches maintain complete architectural coherence. That takes skill.

In front of that last church is this small playground. Paris is filled with children, which comes as a shock to the American visitor who has grown accustomed to children being warehoused in the suburbs. In Paris the stroller is king, and the trotinette rules the sidewalk.

Though the Champs de Mars give you more freedom, and when you get bored there are the go-karts pictured previously.

If the Champs de Mars don't give you enough space, the throughways on the shores of the Seine are limited to pedestrians (and human powered vehicles) on the weekends.

And here are are few more interesting architectural artifacts for you to drool over.

À la prochaine!

Everything in Paris looks so stately Thanks for the pics, Paris really is the most beautiful city on earth.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    A real city -- never to be mistaken for copy of a copy like Las Vegas or depopulated Detroit.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Paris is a great place. Nice pics jaws. besides the architecture (particularly the eclectic churches), the thing that stands out to me about the pictures is how wide the pedestrian ways are.

And vegas is no Paris.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by bocian View post
    A real city -- never to be mistaken for copy of a copy like Las Vegas or depopulated Detroit.
    Calling Las Vegas "a copy of a copy" is too generous. It's nothing more than pure kitsch combined with the worst practices of post-WW II car centric planning theory.

Paris, as you indicated, is the real thing and mere photos don't do it justice.
    "I believe in pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps. I believe it is possible. I saw this guy do it once in Cirque du Soleil. It was magical!" -Stephen Colbert

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Jaws- did you get a chance to see Chartres Cathedral while you were there? I think it is probably even more spectacular than the Cathedrals in Paris.

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Jaws- did you get a chance to see Chartres Cathedral while you were there? I think it is probably even more spectacular than the Cathedrals in Paris.
    So far I've done Charles-de-Gaulle airport, RER B (Roissy Express) and Paris.

I'm not really into high gothic cathedrals to be honest with you. I don't know if I'll ever head to Chartres. I might have to go to Orléans sometime next month so I'll try and stop along the way.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jaws View post
    I'm not really into high gothic cathedrals to be honest with you. I don't know if I'll ever head to Chartres. I might have to go to Orléans sometime next month so I'll try and stop along the way.
    It is worth the trip just to witness it appear out of the French countryside. The thing is really a monster.

Registered
    Oct 2006
    Beautiful!

Les Halles is an underground shopping mall covered by this:

Keeping watch over the place is another Classico-Gothico-Romanesque church that seems to be a genuinely Parisian style.

Gothic frame,

Classical Roman facade.

On the east side is a sunken plaza that attempts to re-enact the plaza at Rockefeller Center. It just doesn't work without fifth avenue, plus the sci-fi feel is too alien, and the Quick Burger restaurant that dominates the ground lacks class. (Not pictured with good reason.)

The mall looks exactly like every shopping mall you've ever been to.

Bonus pics!

If anyone has any special requests in Paris proper (I'm not going to stop by Chartres or London or anything) I'll take them.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'd actually love to see SUBURBAN Paris-both the distopian parts and the village-submerged-in-the-metropolis parts. But-that would be out of your way

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Are they ever gonna finish that tower thingy? Put some siding and sheetrock on it. It looks naked.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Are they ever gonna finish that tower thingy? Put some siding and sheetrock on it. It looks naked.
    It can't really be seen in pictures, but in evening the tower's lighting system twinkles at an epileptic-crisis pace. It's completely over the top but acts towards tourists the same way a fly trap works.

Can you please take and post some from Arr.s 3 and 4 (Marais)? I especially like the areas around Place de Voges (Rues Sevigne and Tournelle) and the "village" of St. Paul. Thanx!

I tried to get some pics of the Marais but the narrow streets don't create very good vistas to photograph. Here's Place des Vosges.

And some interesting courtyards...

Even ye olde chainelinke fence gets the royal treatment.

The following two pictures were taken at the exact same geographical point, except 180 degrees apart.

Paris classique.

Paris moderne.

I know which one I like best.

Right in the middle of the ultra-chic 6th arrondissement are the Luxembourg gardens. It is the biggest public park in Paris, taking up what must be a billion dollars of real estate.

What do you do with a billion in real estate? Set up ping pong tables of course.

The Luxembourg palace, once the seat of a queen, now the home of the Republican Senate. (Boooo!)

After 5:00 PM les gendarmes started whistling people out of the park, so I continued down Boulevard St-Michel to the St-Michel fountain and Île de la Cité.

Sweet dreams.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    There sure are a lot of cars in Paris, maybe thats what keeps the city lively? I suggest that they take Luxembourg Parc and turn it into a giant parking lot.

(Detroitplanner waits for Jaws to freak out)

Geez I was just kidding.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Sigh...

It's sad that we here in the states have squandered resources to create such hideous cities. I really wish we could have something as amazing as Paris to call our own. Maybe one day our population will demand a town worth living in instead of the mini Las Vegas towns littered with McDonalds and KFC signs.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by pugachev View post
    Sigh...

It's sad that we here in the states have squandered resources to create such hideous cities. I really wish we could have something as amazing as Paris to call our own. Maybe one day our population will demand a town worth living in instead of the mini Las Vegas towns littered with McDonalds and KFC signs.
    I hope you're right. I'm not entirely optimistic about the US, but I hope you're right.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Quote Originally posted by pugachev View post
    Sigh...

Maybe one day they will have an economic system where their demands are heard.

There are McDonalds and KFCs all over the place in Paris.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 17 Oct 2010, 4:12 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Sep 2010, 7:56 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 25 May 2007, 1:28 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 22 Apr 2006, 1:17 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last post: 14 Jan 2005, 3:39 PM