Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning and Southeast Asia

Registered
    Aug 2006

Planning and Southeast Asia

Hello, this is a rather obscure question but I'm hoping someone can help me out. I am considering grad school in Urban Planning starting fall of 07 and in particular I am curious if anyone knows schools with MUP programs that feature faculty members with some sort of expertise in Southeast Asia (and even more specificially Thailand). I have found many schools that offer some sort of concentration in "planning in developing countries" but I was curious if anyone has any leads or ideas about planning faculty with this type of specialization. Thank you!

Registered
    May 2005
    I would imagine it may be difficult to find someone with this specific experience in a planning department. I wonder, though, if any schools have a joint area studies/planning program in Asian Studies or something related (or would let you modify your degree to combine these elements). Here in New Mexico, UNM has a dual Masters in Latin American Studies and Community and Regional Planning. Its a very strong program - students get the more intensive, area-specifics of Latin American studies and are able to combine it with on-the-ground planning. Most students' theses are based on field study in a specific Latin American community, so its wonderful experience for those who intend to work abroad. We also have many students from Central and Southa America, so many of them are getting training to return home and work in development/planning related areas.

So, try identifying universities with strong Asian (SE Asian if it gets that specific) studies AND planning and talk to the faculty and see what types of opportunities there are for combining these areas for the degree.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by arafura View post
    Hello, this is a rather obscure question but I'm hoping someone can help me out. I am considering grad school in Urban Planning starting fall of 07 and in particular I am curious if anyone knows schools with MUP programs that feature faculty members with some sort of expertise in Southeast Asia (and even more specificially Thailand). I have found many schools that offer some sort of concentration in "planning in developing countries" but I was curious if anyone has any leads or ideas about planning faculty with this type of specialization. Thank you!
    Ball State in Indiana has Dr. Nihal Perera and another person that are very hands on in SE Asia and the Indian Subcontinent. Dr. Perera is on a Fullbright in Hong Kong this year but is still answering email from his Ball State account and will be returning next fall.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2004
    You might want to check out the University of British Columbia's School of Community and Regional Planning http://www.scarp.ubc.ca

UBC also has a number of experts in Asian area studies in many of its departments, as well has a very large Institute of Asian Research. http://iar.ubc.ca I am sure if you took up a planning degree at scarp, you could design a program for yourself that focused on SE Asian urban development.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Thank you to all those who have given me some thoughtful replies. I am considering a dual degree between urban planning and SEAsian studies, and I know of at least one school (University of Michigan) where this is a real possibility. I have also looked at the UBC program and it did appear like they had a fair amount of faculty with interests in Asia. Anyone else have ideas/thoughts?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I think University of Texas has a dual planning and Asian Studies program as well.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    While researching schools, I came across a faculty page for Lois Takahashi, an urban planning professor at UCLA who focuses on environmental issues in southeast Asian cities; apparently, she has done research in Thailand as well. Perhaps talking to her would help.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban planning in Asia
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jun 2011, 6:53 PM
  2. Hello from Southeast Wisconsin
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 08 Mar 2010, 1:44 AM
  3. greetings from asia
    Introduce Yourself