Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Horse stables in public parks for trailriding, horse rentals and boarding

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2005

Horse stables in public parks for trailriding, horse rentals and boarding

Does anyone have any information or suggestions about how to approach the economic feasibility of horse stables and trailriding operations in/adjacent to public parks? As fate would have it, I have three different public park projects--two in the Southeast and one in the Southwest--that vary according to the size of local/regional resident and tourist markets. A potential use that has come up in all three is horse stables for trail rides.

Aside from market considerations, what are baseline assumptions, design and financial factors that are applicable across all three projects--a business pro forma for horse operations? If anyone has some good cases or suggested resources, please share your ideas and experiences, especially if you are familiar with stables that have accommodated multiple horse-related operations, including mounted park security.

I've found some good macro impact information through the American Horse Council, national and state chapters, and a few state extension schools (e.g Penn State and NC State), but I'd like to know more about overall costs-benefits and day-to-day operational revenues and expenses.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Gedunker should remember this -

Union County NJ Watchung Reservation's Stables: http://www.unioncountynj.org/parks/stable.html
    There is connact info on their website.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    The Salt lake Equestrian Center is run by the Salt Lake County government. You could probably find out some info from their web site at www.slco.gov

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm.....

I remember there being stables in Chatfield State Park, Littleton, Colorado:

http://www.painthorsestables.net/

It looks like they are a private outfit that uses state park land for operations through a lease. If I remember correctly, Colorado did pass an Equine Liability law that limits the liability for injured riders......?? I think its a great idea for public parks to provide this type of recreation opportunity, even considering the costs.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    We have many parks in Westchester County, NY that have horseback riding,,,but it really isn't for tourism, but more recreation for local residents. I think out west people might associate tourism with horses. Horses in Westchester are considered more of an upper class thing. (Westchester County actually has a lot of horse farms) You might find some examples for managing horse riding in the parks however. NYS Parks operates Rockefeller State Park in Pocantico Hills which has 100's of miles of carriage trails.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by tsc View post
    We have many parks in Westchester County, NY that have horseback riding,,,but it really isn't for tourism, but more recreation for local residents. I think out west people might associate tourism with horses. Horses in Westchester are considered more of an upper class thing. (Westchester County actually has a lot of horse farms) You might find some examples for managing horse riding in the parks however. NYS Parks operates Rockefeller State Park in Pocantico Hills which has 100's of miles of carriage trails.
    Allegany State Park in Cattaraugus County (70 miles south of Buffalo) has horse trails and some camp sites for campers with horses. I think, but I'm not sure, that there may be plans for a public stable (renting horses for trail riding) in the new plans that are going forward to modernize the park.

I will check their web site and see what I can find.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    The city of Prairie du Chien, WI has a 300 or so acre park with roughly 5 miles of trail on park land, but adjoins with private property that has, supposedly(I haven't been able to confirm yet)100 miles of trails. This park has camping facilities specifically aimed at equine use. I'm not so sure about eco bene's yet as I've just started the job. I'll post again as I find out more.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The City of Edmonton Alberta leases park space in Whitemud Park (a park in the City's river valley) to a major equine centre. I'm sure you could call either the City parks department or contact the Equine Centre itself through the above link.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Hamilton County Ohio has a horse barn in their Winton Woods park. They have horseback riding camp in the summer---not sure what other other activities, but I'm sure there are more..

Registered
    Jun 2005
    For an internation perspective, Sydney's Centennial Park has a large stables area, where city slickers can take riding lessons or adjist their horses. I think this is fairly popular as it is near a race course.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 22 Sep 2009, 9:23 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Aug 2008, 9:08 AM
  3. Trojan Horse
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 May 2006, 10:02 PM
  4. Uses Horse boarding/training facility
    Land Use and Zoning