Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Miami - FIU Football Brawl Thread (Split from 06 College Football Thread)

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327
    I just watched the film clip of the University of Miami versus Florida International footbrawl. What a sad video clip, available on YouTube. Watched the huge melee, complete with a player using a helmet as a weapon, foot-stomping, kicking, slugging. Criminals dressed as college football players.

    To top it off.....the video I watched was with the sportscasting analysts, including an ex-Miami player who was saying, "Now that's what I'm talking about! You come into our house and that's what you get!"

    Compare that idiotic comment with the slight attempt to be funny on the Fox coverage of the baseball playoff game. That dude was fired for that humor attempt (which had some supposed racist hints).

    Sometimes sports are a whole lot better with the sound turned off.

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    2,386
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    I just watched the film clip of the University of Miami versus Florida International footbrawl. What a sad video clip, available on YouTube. Watched the huge melee, complete with a player using a helmet as a weapon, foot-stomping, kicking, slugging. Criminals dressed as college football players.

    To top it off.....the video I watched was with the sportscasting analysts, including an ex-Miami player who was saying, "Now that's what I'm talking about! You come into our house and that's what you get!"
    Ugly, ugly incident. As of right now, Lamar Thomas (the color commentator on the broadcast) has been fired, FIU has kicked two players off the team and suspended 16 others indefinitely. FIU has also ordered all suspended players to complete 10 hours of anger management counseling and 50 hours of community service, plus put them on probation for the rest of the academic year, and ordered all other playes and coaches to complete community service projects. Miami has suspended one player indefinitely, suspended 12 others for one game, and ordered all 13 players to complete community service work.

    If Larry Coker wasn't probably already on the way out at Miami, then this has to be the last nail in the coffin.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  3. #3
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Ugly, ugly incident. As of right now, Lamar Thomas (the color commentator on the broadcast) has been fired, FIU has kicked two players off the team and suspended 16 others indefinitely. FIU has also ordered all suspended players to complete 10 hours of anger management counseling and 50 hours of community service, plus put them on probation for the rest of the academic year, and ordered all other playes and coaches to complete community service projects. Miami has suspended one player indefinitely, suspended 12 others for one game, and ordered all 13 players to complete community service work.

    If Larry Coker wasn't probably already on the way out at Miami, then this has to be the last nail in the coffin.
    You KNEW Miami would only get slaps on the wrist - 1 Measley game? - as that program is their bread and butter. Their players have always been "hotheads" (J. Shockey, K. Winslow, The Boz, etc. etc.) but have gotten away with lots of stuff. I'd be surprised if the NCAA doesn't make examples of a program like that and impose a bigger penalty on them (sanctions and post-season restrictions). I saw this was their 3rd or 4th fight in 7 games. This kind of thing cannot be tolerated in sports.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Tide's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Gig City
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr View post
    You KNEW Miami would only get slaps on the wrist - 1 Measley game? - as that program is their bread and butter. Their players have always been "hotheads" (J. Shockey, K. Winslow, The Boz, etc. etc.) but have gotten away with lots of stuff. I'd be surprised if the NCAA doesn't make examples of a program like that and impose a bigger penalty on them (sanctions and post-season restrictions). I saw this was their 3rd or 4th fight in 7 games. This kind of thing cannot be tolerated in sports.
    Everyone knows the Florida teams have always been a bunch of thugs with Miami leading the way followed by FSU then Florida. I knew after watching that brawl that the suspensions for Miami would be less than FIU even though practically all involved were equally guilty. I don't think Coker should lose his job, yes you should be responsible for your team, but with 90+ thugs out there I can't blame him for the entire incident. I do, however, hope the NCAA steps in and sanctions more suspensions.

    Added: I am also scared that if Coker loses his job Miami will woo away Rutgers' head coach Schiano to Miami with a boat load of moolah. We just gave him a 7 year deal last year and now we have back to back winning years which is a far cry from the 0-11 and 1-10 years less than a decade ago.
    Last edited by Tide; 17 Oct 2006 at 3:48 PM.
    @GigCityPlanner

  5. #5
    Miami came in to Louisville's Pizza Palace and stomped the mid-field logo just before kick-off, nearly toughing off a fight. It was really, really classy. At the end of the game, the video operator was replaying the 'Canes stomping the logo to screaming howls from Cards fans.

    Coker should be fired and Shalala should forfeit the game. What a travesty.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian cmavis's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Krypton
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr View post
    You KNEW Miami would only get slaps on the wrist - 1 Measley game? - as that program is their bread and butter. Their players have always been "hotheads" (J. Shockey, K. Winslow, The Boz, etc. etc.) but have gotten away with lots of stuff. I'd be surprised if the NCAA doesn't make examples of a program like that and impose a bigger penalty on them (sanctions and post-season restrictions). I saw this was their 3rd or 4th fight in 7 games. This kind of thing cannot be tolerated in sports.
    Just a correction...Brian Bosworth went to the University of Oklahoma. Maybe you got The Boz mixed up with Ray Lewis, who if you recall, was at a murder scene after the Super Bowl in Atlanta in 2000.

    Fine upstanding citizens, nonetheless...

    GO BLUE!
    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription...is more cowbell!" - Bruce Dickinson

  7. #7
    Cyburbian AubieTurtle's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Downtown Atlanta
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Everyone knows the Florida teams have always been a bunch of thugs with Miami leading the way followed by FSU then Florida. .
    Back when Terry Bowden coached at Auburn, his dad would pass along recruits that didn't fit in with what FSU was looking for... and I seem to recall that we had more problems with thuggish behavior from the football players during that time period.

    I'm not trying to stick up for a fellow SEC member but I really don't recall hearing a whole lot of out of the ordinary behavior (relatively speaking) from UF players but maybe they were just overshadowed by the other two programs in the state.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,334
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle View post

    I'm not trying to stick up for a fellow SEC member but I really don't recall hearing a whole lot of out of the ordinary behavior (relatively speaking) from UF players but maybe they were just overshadowed by the other two programs in the state.
    Generally you didn't because Spurrier didn't put up with that crap. I recall hearing about suspensions for "Team Rules Violations" - sometimes even before a big game - and that seemed to be the end of it. Remember when he took over the '***** of SC and booted a dozen or so players (the year after the fight with Clemson when Holtz was coach).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    6,080
    Mods

    Can we do a split here. The whole FIU/UM fight plus the whole fights in college football deserve a thread of their own.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  10. #10
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    ????
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Generally you didn't because Spurrier didn't put up with that crap.
    I would day the Urban is from the same mold in terms of discipline. He kicked several players off the Utah team when we was here and suspended star players. But he also took some troubled kids under his wing and helped them turn t heir lives around. As bad as it sucked being a stepping stone for him, he seems to have a good heart. I became a Florida fan when he was hired on there.

  11. #11
    Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,609
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Mods

    Can we do a split here. The whole FIU/UM fight plus the whole fights in college football deserve a thread of their own.
    Moderator note:
    Consider it done
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

  12. #12
    Cyburbian IlliniPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr View post
    I'd be surprised if the NCAA doesn't make examples of a program like that and impose a bigger penalty on them (sanctions and post-season restrictions). I saw this was their 3rd or 4th fight in 7 games. This kind of thing cannot be tolerated in sports.
    And the NCAA finds the University of Illinois "hostile and abusive" because of the use of its university symbol? It would seem the NCAA should find this fight as attempted murder.
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

  13. #13
    Cyburbian hilldweller's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Posts
    3,740
    I'm ashamed to be a Cane fan. Kudos to the FIU program for demonstrating that they have some decency and standards of conduct for suspending players indefinitely and kicking players off the team. Miami meanwhile is too afraid of losing any more games that the administration will only slap some wrists.

    As for the comment that Miami is a team full of thugs I would only say that 90% of the teams in college football are the same way. The difference is that other teams have coaches that won't tolerate that crap or are better at covering up off the field incidents. Larry Coker is just a doormat and it is clear that he has no control over his players whatsoever.

  14. #14
    It's not limited to big-time college football either. Apparently Division I-AA Dartmouth and Holy Cross went at it at the end of this weekend's game.

    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...tm?POE=SPOISVA

  15. #15
    Cyburbian jmello's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clayobyrne, CB
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Everyone knows the Florida teams have always been a bunch of thugs...but with 90+ thugs out there I can't blame him for the entire incident
    Thugs? Football is a violent game. Who do you expect to play it? Are we really that surprised?

    You all are really overreacting a little bit. Let's look at hockey for a minute.

  16. #16
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    ????
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Thugs? Football is a violent game. Who do you expect to play it? Are we really that surprised?

    You all are really overreacting a little bit. Let's look at hockey for a minute.
    I tend to agree. There are bench clearing brawls all the time in every sport (baseball certainly has it's share of it). I do think that there are a select few who should get kicked off their teams and some suspensions, but I do think that both schools have to act in their own way. I also think the NCAA should only step in if the schools aren't willing to do much. I would say that both schools penalties are justified.

    The Miami program is in a mess anyway. I am suprised they haven't tossed Cocker yet.

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally posted by cololi View post
    I tend to agree. There are bench clearing brawls all the time in every sport (baseball certainly has it's share of it). I do think that there are a select few who should get kicked off their teams and some suspensions, but I do think that both schools have to act in their own way. I also think the NCAA should only step in if the schools aren't willing to do much. I would say that both schools penalties are justified.

    The Miami program is in a mess anyway. I am suprised they haven't tossed Cocker yet.
    Yeah but... there are several differences here. Largely the fights in hockey and baseball level happen at the semi-pro-pro level. These are college kids. Plus baseball fights are largely shoving matches and hockey fights are 1 on 1 with lots of padding. Hockey fights come across as WWF cage matches.

    There is something about football. You always seeing shoving and mouthing off after the play in football with the refs and/or other players having to break it up. Football always seems to be on the edge of having a fight breaking out. Plus there seems to be a lot of thuggery happening this year in football, both on the college and pro level. A couple of weeks ago there was that Titans player that stomped on the head of a Cowboys player.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  18. #18
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,756
    Just a thought… if this happened off the field, people would arrested and charged with assault with the intent to create great bodily harm, and assault with a weapon. (in the helmet case)

    But because it’s a college they don’t get much of anything beyond “Bad Players”
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

  19. #19
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    7,324

    Yup....

    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Just a thought… if this happened off the field, people would arrested and charged with assault with the intent to create great bodily harm, and assault with a weapon. (in the helmet case)

    But because it’s a college they don’t get much of anything beyond “Bad Players”
    Great point....in sports, the field has always been treated like Switzerland for some reason....I mean it is in the City, which DOES have a police force...and there is a huge difference between getting tackled and taking a hit on the chin from some idiot(would be prisoner) in a football uniform. Orange is a good color for Miami....since most prisons and jails use that as their color..... Didn't Miami get into a big fight with Colorado in the early 1990's???
    Skilled Adoxographer

  20. #20
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Thugs? Football is a violent game. Who do you expect to play it? Are we really that surprised?

    You all are really overreacting a little bit. Let's look at hockey for a minute.
    Yes, thugs, otherwise we would watch expecting to see fights, via pro hockey. However it IS college football. If it is expected just because it is football do you expect to see it (or condone it) in high school games and furthermore in pee-wee football, as these are who they look up to, right? Why doesn't college basketball have the fights that college football does - because they are not thugs? There certainly are some out there, or is it because they are better coached???? Or is it because they don't wear pads??? Maybe it is because they don't get to rest and huddle between every play, therefore their energy is directed more toward playing the game rather than extra cirricular dancing/celebrating/taunting/fighting as in football.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

  21. #21
    Cyburbian Tide's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Gig City
    Posts
    2,657
    [QUOTE=ssnyderjr;346746]Why doesn't college basketball have the fights that college football does - because they are not thugs? There certainly are some out there, or is it because they are better coached????QUOTE]
    I think this is due to the ratio of players to coaches. In College Bball there is a Head Coach, Asst. Coach, and at least 2 bench coaches to only 12-14 players. (3.5:1)
    In College Football you have maybe a staff of 12 watching out for almost 100 players.(8.3:1)
    @GigCityPlanner

  22. #22
    Cyburbian jmello's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clayobyrne, CB
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Just a thought… if this happened off the field, people would arrested and charged with assault with the intent to create great bodily harm, and assault with a weapon. (in the helmet case)
    You could also be charged with assault for physically blocking or tackling someone, both integral parts of the game of football.

  23. #23
    [QUOTE=Tide;346749]
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr View post
    Why doesn't college basketball have the fights that college football does - because they are not thugs? There certainly are some out there, or is it because they are better coached????QUOTE]
    I think this is due to the ratio of players to coaches. In College Bball there is a Head Coach, Asst. Coach, and at least 2 bench coaches to only 12-14 players. (3.5:1)
    In College Football you have maybe a staff of 12 watching out for almost 100 players.(8.3:1)
    Not good rationalle, because one coach cannot hold back 3 and a half jacked-up college students if they really want to get in the mix. The truth is that the benchwarmers seem to make up the majority of the troublemakers. How many starters did Miami lose (were allegedly involved).....not many, and not any really key players, even though they were certainly on the field. These (benchwarmer) kids look at it as their way to get in the game and "help protect" their first string players. Hey, they didn't go to practice all week, do stretches and calisthenics for nothin' ! In fact all they did was get replayed 25 times on every sports channel and got their names (and jersey's) scrolled across sports center another 50 times, so in their adolescent minds they have gained a bit of celebrity.
    So, looking forward to the greatest rivalry in college football, Michigan versus Ohio State, I should EXPECT a fight during the game EVERY YEAR. I mean, hey a coach cannot hold back 8 and a half football players, right????
    Last edited by ssnyderjr; 18 Oct 2006 at 5:25 PM.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

  24. #24
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    18,164
    Overshadowed was

    The Miami brawl wasn't the only one last weekend.

    After Holy Cross beat Dartmouth 24-21 in overtime....

    The Associated Press says the fun started after the winning players had the bad taste to celebrate atop the Dartmouth “D” painted on the field (think then-49er T.O. on the Texas Stadium midfield star, just before George Teague set him straight).
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 3:00 PM
  2. 2012 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 245
    Last post: 11 Jan 2013, 12:27 PM
  3. 2009 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 244
    Last post: 12 Jan 2010, 10:17 AM
  4. 2008 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 176
    Last post: 12 Jan 2009, 5:20 PM
  5. 2007 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 272
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 2:41 PM