Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wedding mishaps (AIB M'skis Wedding Invites)

Registered
    Sep 1999

Wedding mishaps (AIB M'skis Wedding Invites)

It can be very funny when something goes wrong. Some of my favorites:

A former boss didn't closely review the pics taken by the photographer before sending everybody a link to the website. There were a bunch of her with wet hair, no makeup, and wearing only a slip posted, for all to see.

My brother's best man forgot to pick him up and take him to the wedding.

A friend's incredibly overbearing MIL tried to take over everything at the reception. She was marching to the back of the banquet ball to give a waiter a piece of her mind when she slipped on a spilled drink, landed on her butt, and slid to the wall, ending up with her legs in the air and her dignity shredded. Especially when everyone started laughing.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Funniest but sad...

Bride, 8 months preganant. Wedding at their home. The groom kept trying to get the preacher to make the ceremony short. So the preacher said the shortest he could make it was "Do You?" and "Do You?". When he asked the groom "do you?" The groom replied "NOPE" The very pregnant bride got a kitchen chair and proceeded to beat the groom with it. No one stopped her, it was a justifiable beating.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    My mishaps centered on me and my dress. It was two piece with a corset top that laced in the back and a full skirt. The only person to ever lace the top was my dressmaker, who obviously knew what she was doing. When I was getting dressed, my bridesmaids did the lacing...they either pulled it too tight or not tight enough. They finally got the right tension and I thought everything was cool from there. By the time I got to the church after a very tight ride in the back of a classic Rolls, the top had loosened up considerably. I didn't have enough time to get it relaced, so the show had to go on with me pulling up the top every few minutes (which can be quite embarrasing when you have real cleavage). And then on top of that, I hadn't really practiced walking in the skirt before the wedding. If I had, I would have known that my shoes were going to get caught up in the slip. I discover this just as I proceed with my grand entrance into the church. So, I'm walking down the aisle tugging at my top, looking down and kicking my skirt out way in front of me so that I don't trip and fall. It wasn't the most graceful entrance, but definitely memorable.

By reception time, I took the slip off but still never had my top relaced. I still kept on pulling it up every so often and my constant dancing made it worse. Some of my friends told me that they had bets on whether or not the top would completely slip off. Well, it didn't and the day ended with my dignity intact.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    My brother in law's wedding was in August in an old (1879) chapel with no modern amentities (i.e. air conditioning). All the windows and doors were open in this small country chapel but there was no breeze. Adding to the heat of the day was the fact that the place was very crowded. You could see sweat through people's jackets which, by mid-service, were starting to come off. As the service was getting serious with the vows, a groomsman began to sway, then fainted and fell. It was the domino affect all the way to the groom.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Wedding “A” The DJ showed up two hours late
    Wedding “B” The Bestman passed out because of a combination of being dehydrated, wearing a tux, standing for a very long time, and a lack of AC in a small church with 105 degree temps outside!
    Wedding “C” Groom’s parents boycotted the wedding.
    Wedding “D” (I was not at, but was well informed from friends) the Brides Grandmother and Uncle, the priest, and over half the guests got lost on the way to the wedding.
    Wedding “E” (Good friend and Ex Girlfriend) None of the bridal party (other than the Bride) had any idea of when and were anything was. Everything was late, and then the Honeymoon in Mexico was ‘extended’ because of a hurricane hitting and them missing the last flight out.

I also heard about a couple that planned a wedding in FL and a hurricane hit, so they rescheduled for a few months later, and another hit. Third time, the another hurricane hit a week before and leveled the church. They did get married, but it was on the beach... with yet another hurricane approaching.

Then there was several little issues at all the weddings that I have been to due to errors in planning and communication. The Fiancée and I have already agreed that one month before the wedding, each member of the wedding party will receive a comprehensive itinerary with specific times, addresses, phone numbers, locations, and everything else that any of them could possibly want to know. It will also include a specific checklist of everything that they will need to bring. (Socks and such)
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Nobody told me that, as best man, I was responsible for paying for the limo.

At my own wedding, I kept trying to put the ring on the ring finger of the wrong hand. (Only cuz the officiant hadn't gotten my now-wife to say "obey" and it wouldn't be real till she did )

Easy, there, luckless pedestrian...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I was involved with a great one. I was golfing at a local country club where there were frequentlywedding receptions just off of the 18th green. The hole is a long par 4. If you can clear about 250 in the air, you go over, if not you play to the right down the tree line. It sets you up for a second shot about 220 yards to the green. This is what I did. My tee shot went right where it was supposed. My second shot was a different story. I sliced a three iron pretty good. I knew where it was headed and yelled fore. The ball travelled right into the buffet line hitting one of the warming trays filled with food and bounced just to the side of a table. I wasn't about to go over and hit the ball, instead I planned on discretely dropping off the side of the green and finishing my round. As I approached the green, a bunch of guys in tuxedoes were screaming at me to come play my ball. So I did.I hit a great chip shot from about 40 yards to within a foot or two. The wedding party cheered, but one lady who I was guessing was the brides mom, she gave me the look of medussa. It was the one and only time I had a gallery watching me golf.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Nobody told me that, as best man, I was responsible for paying for the limo.

At my own wedding, I kept trying to put the ring on the ring finger of the wrong hand. (Only cuz the officiant hadn't gotten my now-wife to say "obey" and it wouldn't be real till she did )

Easy, there, luckless pedestrian...
    The best man does no have to pay for the limo...unless its for the bachelor party.

You got your wife to say obey!!! You the man!!! I got beat every time I suggested it.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We were scheduled to have our reception in the hotel/restaurant owned by a coworker. The day before the wedding, while doing some remodeling work in the kitchen, the workers set off the fire retardant over the grill and the whole kitchen and dining room was covered in fire retardant dust. So the reception was moved to another building owned by my coworker. The morning before the wedding another coworker sat on the wedding cake.

But everything went fine. The new reception site was great. The cake was repaired. The bride was beautiful. The groom was sober. The honeymoon was good too
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was REALLY nervous, so I wasn't really listening to the vows and I ended up saying "I do" right in the middle of the long list of vows. Then I had to say it again afterwards when he finished the list. There were only four of us (me and my hubby, and my mom and dad as witnesses). So even with only four people, someone is bound to mess up something (and given the four people involved, odds were in my favour that I'd screw it up).

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    At a wedding of two of my McDonald's customers that I introduced.....

A decision was made to use a niece and a nephew as a flower girl and ring bearer. The nephew played his role like a pro and sat quietly through the ceremony. The niece did her flower scattering duties and then the fun began. She decided that her dress was itchy and started rolling around on the ground behind the bride and groom at the alter. It was amusing and many people were trying to stifle their laughter while the ceremony was going on and the couple were trying to figure out why, until the girl climbed under the dress and then it all came out, everyone including the reverend was laughing.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    a car accident outside the wedding facility knocked-out the power at my friend's wedding in the middle of the ceremony. The wedding was in August here in Texas and the building was old and drafty, so it quickly turned into an oven. The reception was at the same place. The wedding cake icing was starting to melt, so they had to cut the cake early. The whole thing was really quite funny because the guests & wedding party were stripping down as much as they could while maintaining decency! My friend and his wife thought the whole thing was funny and really took it in stride.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

Then there was several little issues at all the weddings that I have been to due to errors in planning and communication. The Fiancée and I have already agreed that one month before the wedding, each member of the wedding party will receive a comprehensive itinerary with specific times, addresses, phone numbers, locations, and everything else that any of them could possibly want to know. It will also include a specific checklist of everything that they will need to bring. (Socks and such)
    Friendly amendment... Give your wedding party a laminated business card with everyone's mobile numbers as well as the numbers for the location, priest, cake people and flower people. It was a lifesaver for keeping everyone in the loop, even for our relatively small wedding.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I was a groomsman once in a multi-cultural ceremony (Sikh/Unitarian) where one half of those in attendance could not understand what was going on at any given time due to the lack of bilingual Punjabi/English speakers. Part of the ceremony involved attendees getting up and switching sides several times. The father of the groom was an arrogant man and having heard briefly how the complex ceremony would proceed some weeks earlier believed he understood well enough to instruct the english speaking attendees whenever they were supposed to move. Naturally he didn't get a single cue right and chinese firedrills were the order of the day ("get up everyone.....no wait a minute. Okay....go now......I think we were supposed to actually have gone the first time....but wait, I think we've got another move coming up....")
    Man, when I think back on that wedding and all the inter-family fights I heard about that preceeded it in the ceremony planning phase ("what do you mean my 87 year old mother has to sit on the floor like some heathen?!"), it's amazing they're still married after 10 years.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Friendly amendment... Give your wedding party a laminated business card with everyone's mobile numbers as well as the numbers for the location, priest, cake people and flower people. It was a lifesaver for keeping everyone in the loop, even for our relatively small wedding.
    That is a great idea… I am definitely going to do that. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Aug 2001

You cant make this stuff up

-one bridesmaid got into a car accident on the way to rehearsal, missed rehearsal, and did the wedding in a neckbrace hopped up on drugs. She drank at the reception and made an ass out of herself. At 2a.m. she was awakened by friends to be informed that her twin brother - a marine home on leave from GW1 - was shot and killed in a bar fight.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    None of my family and friends made it to Jamaica for my wedding. I still had a good time after about 20 minutes of moping at BWI before we left. My FIL sweats profusely, so he showered and changed clothes between the beachfront ceremony and the small reception we had. When I show the pictures to someone, they always ask if it occurred on two different days.

A month later, my wife and I had a full reception here in Baltimore for everyone. A good time was had by all. Although, only three family members showed up, Mom, Dad and my youngest brother.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    My son was 4 when his dad and I finally decided to get married (should have done it before he could talk!!) ...as I walked down the aisle Jacobs yells out "Mommy, you look expensive!" ughgughug everyone got a good laugh...I told him I was very expnsive to Grandpa that day

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    Not a mishap exactly...

I'm the big brother to three younger sisters. My Dad was an unrepentant practical joker.

In 1979, we were at work on a construction site. About 50 yards up a hill, in the woods, Dad started yelling for our laborer and me to "hurry, get up here, right now!!" Out of breath after our 50 yard uphill run, Dad pointed to the ground and said to us, "Look". There, on the ground was the sole of a shoe. Perfectly deadpan, but with a twinkle in his eye, Dad said to us, "That's the lost soul everyone is always talking about." We weren't amused at all, but Dad got a big laugh out of it.

In 1985, Dad passed away, three days short of his 60th birthday.

When my youngest sister got married six years ago, she asked if I'd stand in for Dad, and give her away. I was happy to be so honored. She was married on Cape Cod. Between the ceremony and the reception, the wedding party went down to the beach for some photographs. As I waited nearby, there in the sand, I found the sole of a shoe....

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Thanks digger. That's a great story.

The only real mishap I've seen was at a friend's wedding. It was a Catholic ceremony, and everything went just fine until just after the vows were exchanged. For some reason, the organist mistakenly started the recessional hymn, and since everyone was so well-rehearsed, the wedding party, ummm, recessed. Those of us who have some Catholic history looked around at each other, immediately realizing something went wrong.

The bride and groom had a really good attitude about it and thought it was funny. They even missed the "you may kiss the bride..." part of the ceremony too, but said they would make up for that later.
    Last edited by jmac; 18 Oct 2006 at 5:11 PM. Reason: "recessed" from my own post too early.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    Thank you.

We prefer to remember that one, rather than the fact that on the eve of my own wedding several years ago, with a houseful of out of town relatives, I had to go rent a sewer snake to unclog our sewer. We believe Dad had a hand in that one too...

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Another good story I completely forgot about...

My brother was the best man for a buddy's wedding... it was one of those where they kneel in front of a priest. Well, he & the groomsmen decided to have a little fun with him. The night before, they took his shoes and wrote "Help" on the left sole and "Me" on the right sole.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I was on the way to the church for the wedding i was suppose to be there at 2:00 for pictures. 10 after 2 i was in route about a minute a way from the church, my cell phone rings and it is my mother, who was franic. She asked where i was and i told her... she then told me the tux place called and i left my tux at the store needless to say i turned around and drove the 10 miles to the tux place; however i was hungry so i stopped by one of my favorite greasey spoons and got a sloppy burger all the way - no onions i was getting married in less than 45 minutes. meanwhile my cell phone is ringing off the hook, my mother, my father, the pastor, my brother, and my best friend, but i knew nothing as it was on silent mode by accident the ladies at the tux place dressed me as i walked in the door and less than two minute later i am on my way to the church. I arrive at 3:40 with five minutes to spare. yeah, It was my idea for a 3:45 wedding my wife got a good laugh when i told her about it the saturday after when were on the way back from the honeymoon, she knew nothing untill then......maybe i'll be on time for my funeral.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. 11/12/13 Wedding Day?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 13 Nov 2013, 10:30 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 03 Apr 2008, 5:55 PM
  3. Who’s in the wedding party?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 17 Nov 2006, 7:06 PM