Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Concentrations need help?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006

Concentrations need help?

So can someone please tell me what the big difference is between these three degrees, because I am having a hard time figuring them out. So here are the three, please let me know the differences because I want to figure out what I want to do. Thanks:

MUP: Concentration in Physical Planning
    MUP: Concentration in Urban Design
    MUD: Master of Urban Design

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by lucifer View post
    So can someone please tell me what the big difference is between these three degrees, because I am having a hard time figuring them out. So here are the three, please let me know the differences because I want to figure out what I want to do. Thanks:

MUP: Concentration in Physical Planning
    MUP: Concentration in Urban Design
    MUD: Master of Urban Design
    most schools have a description of the programs and courses required for the difference concentrations. ask the school to send you the requirements and you can do a quick compare/contrast of the different programs.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I agree with dandy_warhol.

Generally in my experience a MUP is a degree in planning so that is the primary focus or your core courses will be in planning. The concentrations will more or less be your elective courses. I imagine physical planning is land use and subdivision focussed and touches on some basic civil eng principles, e.g grading and cut/fill. Urban design tends to concentrate more on the built form and intro courses, particularly those in a primarily planning program, will have you read a lot of the writing done in this field - you will touch on some basic arch principles but necessarily on the building on its own but how a building relates to the larger urban fabric. Urban design IMO is more focussed on the inter-relationships of the built forms with the people.

MUD is usually offered thorugh an arch or design school and sometimes planning. These core courses tend to be more design focussed and your courses and discussions and ultimately your thesis will be more reflective of the built form. You may get into more arch intricacies of buildings but again urban design is about the inter-built form rather than the intra-built form (examining a cluster area vs. designing a building).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 07 Oct 2013, 7:13 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Aug 2013, 12:31 PM
  3. Practicality of concentrations
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:45 PM
  4. Concentrations
    Student Commons