Urban planning community

Poll results: Are you a member of the APA?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I find it beneficial.

10 31.25%
  • Yes, but only to pump up my resume.

12 37.50%
  • Yes, but I am thinking of terminating my membership.

5 15.63%
  • No, I never have been a member.

2 6.25%
  • Not anymore. I didn't get any benefit of being a member.

2 6.25%
  • No, but I am thinking of joining/rejoining.

1 3.13%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: To be or not to be in the APA

Registered
    Jan 2005

To be or not to be in the APA

I have seen posts in the past from Cyburbia members regarding the APA and its usefulness and wanted to get an idea from you whether you have a current membership. After reading some threads in the past, it got me to thinking, is there a benefit? Thoughts?
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    when given a choice between ULI and APA (paid for by my employer), i went with ULI. but i'm in the private sector, so that might be a consideration. i don't think APA is that helpful for me.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by IlliniPlanner View post
    I have seen posts in the past from Cyburbia members regarding the APA and its usefulness and wanted to get an idea from you whether you have a current membership. After reading some threads in the past, it got me to thinking, is there a benefit? Thoughts?
    APA has the only certification out there right now, but for me that is about where its usefulness ends. I prefer the content, etc. from ULI. If ULI ever offers an equivelent certification, APA is in serious trouble.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    IP - Please send me your poll choices, as when I merged the multiple threads, the poll was lost. I will recreate the thread with the poll once you send me the options. Thanks.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yeah....

ULI if you are a developer, broker, real estate agent or land use law attorney....
    APA if you are in the public sector....and AICP.....
    I used to belong to a host of Geography groups and planning related orgs. until I went into the private sector and had to pay for all of them.....the only one I kept was APA/AICP. My last employer paid for ULI, but my new rural job won't (rightly so) because there just ain't anything "urban" about it. I've seen very little interest from ULI for "rural" interests, for the obvious reason

It seems to me that ULI is more redevelopment oriented and downtown/urban core type stuff. If that is what you do, ULI is the group to be with.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by IlliniPlanner View post
    My membership is up in December and I can't decide if I will stay a member. I work in a rural setting now and my employer won't pay for it. I think APA is to academic although I like some of the legal articles. I'm moderate when it comes to politics and I think APA is just to far on the left wing for me to gain any knowlege from the magazine.

If only Cyburbia had an AICP
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    ULI if you are a developer, broker, real estate agent or land use law attorney....
    APA if you are in the public sector....and AICP.....
    I think that this notion is part of the bigger picture "planner identity" problem. Philosphically and putting aside their perceived value, Planners, both public and private, should be members of both organizations. APA should not just represent public planners; ULI is an exceptional resource for what all planners are involved in day to day--the built community.

Registered
    Apr 1996

APA Poll

Moderator note:
    Reinserted poll after it was lost in thread merge.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I've been in APA since college, first cause the student membership was pretty cheap and I thought it was necessary to have that on my resume when I did go looking for a job. And ever since, employers have paid for it. Now I'm AICP, so I guess I have to keep my APA membership forever, even if it means paying out of pocket in the future.

I find the Planning magazine interesting, but you can search their job board and stuff without having membership.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I am a member of APA, but mainly because work pays for it.

I find about 1/2 of their info/publications useful, but will need to stay a member to become AICP.

I will join ULI in the near future though.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm a member of both, but only in APA because of my AICP cert. ULI is far more educational I think. I get more out of one edition of Urban Land than I do out of Planning Magazine. Plus, ULI conferences are better. I do think that ULI has a lot to offer public sector planners because you get viewpoints from various players, not just those on the planning side.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    I've been in APA since college, first cause the student membership was pretty cheap and I thought it was necessary to have that on my resume when I did go looking for a job. And ever since, employers have paid for it. Now I'm AICP, so I guess I have to keep my APA membership forever, even if it means paying out of pocket in the future.

I find the Planning magazine interesting, but you can search their job board and stuff without having membership.
    Pretty much describes my situation except I'm never paying for membership out of my pocket.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I would rather be in ULI as I find it much more useful for planning in the DC area. APA does not impress me thus Im only a member due to work paying.
    Alas work will not pay for ULI membership
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

I'm with the I'm a member of APA/AICP because my work pays for it. Plus, I have to be in APA because of AICP. I'm in AICP because it looks good on a resume. Beyond this, I found APA to be expensive and not much good. They're also more than a little bureaucratic and political, which is ironic. Most of us spend our days fighting both of these.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 1996
    I've been a member since 1993, AICP since 2001. Employer pays.

I voted beneficial, purely because of the fine work of my Chapter. Other than national conferences, APA National doesn't do much for me.

Registered
    Apr 2005

APA is Just OK

Since I am AICP I'm kind of locked in. However, the organization is very badly run, is too expensive for what you get, takes political positions that many of its members disagree with, and can just generally be annoying. It does, however, publish some good stuff that is worth getting and is good for networking at the state level. A mixed bag, all in all.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm....

ULI and APA should join forces, wouldn't that be cool? Joint membership with AICP as the certification wing.....maybe rename it to CLP, Certified Land Planner or Certified Urban & Land Planner CULP, or even CRAP, Certified Regional Area Planner.........he he he.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I got my AICP in '92. Gave it up a few years ago when my employer screwed up the payment and refused to pay a late fee. No regrets.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I just downloaded the info for AICP certification. It will look snazzy on my resume, but I don't feel a huge benefit from national or state APA. Our local section, however, is fantastic.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm AICP, work no longer pays for it, but they used to. A round of cost cuttings a few years back dropped this benefit, and it has yet to resurface.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am a member and the state chapter makes it benifical(sp?) could be more responsive but you get out what the membership puts in. I like the ULI and even the CNU. I would be members off all three and i can only justify the APA because of my AICP.

+ Reply to thread