Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: require site plan review for demolitions?

Registered
    Feb 2002

require site plan review for demolitions?

Does anyone require site plan review for a demolition permit? We do not, however they have to apply for a permit. My question, is if you require a site plan, on what basis would you be able to approve or deny a request? Building code already covers the removal of the foundation, and pmc already requires it be seeded or whatever.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not required here. When I was in California and a structure in the coastal zone was proposed to be demolished, a coastal zone development permit was required. They were always approved.

Registered
    May 2004
    no site plan review but we do look to make sure the building is not historic, or within a specified distance from a wetland. In some instances a land use permit may be required if it could change the hydrology of the wetland.

Like RJ said- in California a Coastal Development Permit is often required if in the Coastal Zone.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    No actual site plan review south of the border either. We do review demolition plans along the lakeshore to ensure environmental protection.

Registered
    Mar 2004

No.....

But I would suggest that a copy of the current zoning regulations be given to the owner, just in case there is a disconnect and the property becomes non-conforming. I guess it depends on what your code says about rebuilds.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Does anyone require site plan review for a demolition permit? We do not, however they have to apply for a permit. My question, is if you require a site plan, on what basis would you be able to approve or deny a request? Building code already covers the removal of the foundation, and pmc already requires it be seeded or whatever.
    We require a demo permit, but no site plan. We go out to the site after the structure is down and make sure it was disposed of properly. We also inspect fire jobs before we issue remodel permits.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    When a demolition permit is applied for, we check to make sure that the building is not of historic significance and we ask if there are immediate plans for redevelopment. If the property is within our redevelopment district which encompasses our downtown and lakefront, site plan review is required (what will be replacing this?). If redevelopment is not imminent, the site must be graded and seeded.
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Thanks everyone! Does anyone have any demolition standards in their zoning ordinance - something that says the entire foundation has to be removed and the parcel seeded? Anything else it should address?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Our demolition regs are mainly in the Building Code and administered by the Building Dept. I think they require a plat of survey of the pre-demo site and then an inspection to make sure the property is fully and properly cleared and/or restored.

Though, for single family and in our downtown, we require that a development proposal be approved by the Design Commission prior to the demolition of any existing structures. But this could be overridden for hazardous properties.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Site plan review question
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Jul 2010, 7:35 PM
  2. Big box preliminary site plan review
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 02 Feb 2007, 5:26 PM
  3. Site plan review timelines