Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mental speed bumps - remove traffic control devices

Mental speed bumps - remove traffic control devices

http://www.pps.org/info/products/Boo...tal_speedbumps

This would be an interesting book, has anyone read it or been to any of these cities/towns where it has been applied?? Sounds like criss-cross-crash, the old matchbox/hotweels game.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Jul 2005
    It sounds good in theory, I think there was a big article in Wired or somewhere about the Dutch guy doing it. But in the present environment and with my license on the line I think I'll wait for the first cases to work their way throug the court system...

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I'd agree with RTG, liability issues would be a major concern. That being said I have little doubt that the concept has merit. I don't think anyone should be suprised that traffic calming is more effective if drivers believe they should slow down, as opposed to telling them to slow down when they don't think they need to. Another way to put it would be that the driver needs to believe that their safety is at risk by driving too fast.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    A few years ago, at an APA conference in Portland, OR, an ODOT staffer presented a study of vehicle-on-ped accidents. The frequencies of accidents and ped fatalities was highest for areas where drivers do not expect ped activity. Especially on the rural-urban fringe highways, and near shopping malls/power centers. Reminds me of arguments made by commuting bicyclists, who want to ride in the roadway, or widened shoulder lanes.
    "That guy handles the puck like a cow handles a gun!" - Mike Lange

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Our local streets have no stop/yield or any signs. Only when they intersect minor arterials or higher classifications. Cops hate it, cannot determine fault in accidents. Also vehicles often stop at marked intersections because they cannot remember where signs exist. And try teaching your kids what to do. City engineer loves it, because there is no issue with "rolling" through stop signs. Some people are under the false impression that all north-south streets have the right of way.

But the theory may be working: most every one is extremely cautious, not knowing what to do.

Registered
    Nov 2004

Sounds like a 'home zone' to me.

Isnt this the same attitude which applies to a 'homezone' or 'woonerf'. These are astreets which are calmed by design, with completely shared surfaces and no markings, lights or signage. I am in a team which is developing a network of said homezones in Dublin.

Or if this relates to the whole, overall street network, what happens when you come to a large dual carriage way etc. Does this theory only apply/work with single lane roadways?
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Our local streets have no stop/yield or any signs. Only when they intersect minor arterials or higher classifications. Cops hate it, cannot determine fault in accidents. Also vehicles often stop at marked intersections because they cannot remember where signs exist. And try teaching your kids what to do. City engineer loves it, because there is no issue with "rolling" through stop signs. Some people are under the false impression that all north-south streets have the right of way.

But the theory may be working: most every one is extremely cautious, not knowing what to do.

I witnessed this over the weekend. No stop signs on local street intersections. Maybe I could get out traffic department to consider removing all stop signs here
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Dec 2006

KC Plaza

Kansas City has an old upscale shopping district called the Country Club Plaza. Most intersections are unregulated. There is enough foot (and carriage) traffic to compete with vehicles most of the time. Through traffic soon learns to stay on the controlled streets as a way to guarantee passage in some reasonable length of time.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Traffic control devices
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Oct 2011, 9:56 AM
  2. Obsolete traffic control devices
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 06 Oct 2011, 8:45 AM
  3. Article about fake speed bumps
    Transportation Planning