Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MI MPA or WI MUP?

Registered
    Oct 2006

MI MPA or WI MUP?

I am interested in a career in local government admin or planning and need career advice.
    I am finishing a law degree but don't want to be a lawyer.

I am looking at continuing onto an MPA or MUP.
    My plans are to move from Michigan to Wisconsin and have a career in Milwaukee.

Does it make more sense to stay in Michigan and get an MPA or
    move to Milwaukee and get the MUP?

Can the MPA open doors in land use and planning?
    Which degree opens more opportunities?
    Which degree would be a better compliment to a JD?

Any ideas of where I should go from here to get into a career into planning?

Your input is appreciated!

William

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Move to Milwaukee and get the MUP, if you really want to be in Milwaukee. Location is such a huge factor in job placement. Have you taken any planning/public admin classes? If so, you may be able to get a planning/public admin job with just your planning degree. I work in the private sector, but I would guess that if you're willing to take the lowly planner salary, most employers would want to have you. But for what it's worth, your law degree is going to get you pretty far as far as MUP/MPA admissions goes.

All that aside, you should really determine whether you want to pursue public admin or planning. They overlap, but there are differences.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    But...you could go to UofM and get an MPA and an MUP with in-state tution.

The MUP program at Michigan allows for dual degree with the School of Public Policy. And it would only add maybe one extra year to the normal 2 year MUP program.

And the cache and renown of Michigan is big. For full disclosure - I did a BA in History, and my MUP at Michigan.

Plus, with a JD you should no problem getting into the MUP and MPA programs at Michigan.

Good Luck!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2002
    UW-Milwaukee also offers a coordinated MPA-MUP degree.

Check out this link for some more info: MPA-MUP at UWM

Registered
    Oct 2006
    What would you say are the overlap & differences?

All that aside, you should really determine whether you want to pursue public admin or planning. They overlap, but there are differences.[/QUOTE]

The MPA/MUP program at UWM looks like when I'm looking for and will help cover all my interests and goals.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

William
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 27 Oct 2006 at 10:45 AM.

+ Reply to thread