Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Studying for tests

Registered
    Sep 2001

Studying for tests

Anyone have any advice for learning how to study for tests?

I am an aural learner that needs to internalize informaton in order to remember it. I can not memorize things and be able to regurgitate them.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Hmmm

I would start with what works. If you learn by listening, why don't you try repeating your notes/information into a voice recorder playing it either the car or at home?
    I would include any helpful tricks, rhymes, memorization tactics as well into the recording. I'm sure there has to be classes out there, test taking skills...effective learning 101....

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Exactly Sandi. I've realized that my best way to study for tests is to talk into a tape recorder, as if I'm teaching the material to somebody else, not just reading and regurgatating, but actually sticking in my own explanations and tricks to remember things. Then I listen to it as I go to bed at night, and in the car, on my way to the test.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Right.
    One other thing. On the night before the exam, get plenty of water, a relaxing healthy dinner, put the book DOWN and go to sleep. The brain finalizes learning during sleep, think of sleep as the burning in part.. trying to cram at the last minute is often counterproductive. Get a good solid night's sleep, avoid caffiene, get lots of liquids.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    How about eating lots of nuts while studying?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I cant study through listening, i have to read things out aloud, explain things to myself through talking them through.

I find chocolate and tea are great too- well thats what i have been living off for the past couple of months- but i agree with JZ get sleep. I have been ill this week as i have not slept enough and studied my computer screen too much!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jess View post
    How about eating lots of nuts while studying?
    You must know me, before studying I bought some of my favourite snack foods and non caffeine drinks. All I ended up with was a stomach ache.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2006
    If you're an aural learner then try remembering things by rhymes or other word tricks that sound like something you will remember.

I memorize by remembering the way the words sound in my head. So whatever i am memorizing is a tune in my head.

Does that make sense? hmmmm.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    You must know me, before studying I bought some of my favourite snack foods and non caffeine drinks. All I ended up with was a stomach ache.
    Ooh!! maybe you took too much. Just do it moderately.
    Maybe this one works, take the first letters of each words and jumble them to make another unique word for you to remember them (effective for enumeration type).

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    Anyone have any advice for learning how to study for tests?

I am an aural learner that needs to internalize informaton in order to remember it. I can not memorize things and be able to regurgitate them.
    Wild guess:
    Based on how athletic you are and the nature of the sports you engage in (cross country skiing, cycling, and so forth), it seems to me you could also be a kinesthetic learner, which is someone who processes information best when their large muscles (like leg muscles) are engaged. This is your classic "pacer", the type who can't talk on the phone without walking back and forth and who gets their best ideas while out walking, jogging, cycling, skiing... you get the idea. If that sounds like it applies to you, consider taping your lectures and listening to them on the tread mill, or out for a walk, or while cycling. Consider taking a walk right before class -- say, park at the far end of the parking lot on purpose or something -- and work out some before class on test day (preferably while listening to your taped lectures/notes or singing your own made-up mnemonics or what have you).

My oldest child is a kinesthetic and auditory learner. He puts on "one man plays" and acts out the information he is processing. He also gets extreeeeemely chatty when we go for walks together, which can be quite taxing for poor old mom but is always an amazingly productive session of information processing for him.

Never a dull moment around here.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    This may not apply to you at all, but for my Urban Studies and Planning classes that cover just tons of material, I start by taking notes of my notes- like go through all of them and pick out the most important points and examples. If need be, I take notes of those too. I think a problem a lot of people have with studying is feeling overwhelmed with the amount of material and how to connect it all, and this technique helps me a lot, though it does require a decent amount of time to do it. Good luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 115
    Last post: 15 Jan 2014, 8:24 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Nov 2008, 11:51 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 16 Sep 2005, 10:30 AM
  4. Ethics Tests
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Sep 2004, 9:30 PM