Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Following Up on Job Application

Registered
    Mar 2006

Following Up on Job Application

Maybe there has already been a thread about this, but I can't find one. My husband applied for a job, and it is now a week and a half past the application deadline, and he hasn't heard from them yet. We know the position is already vacant and they really need to fill it soon. He really is perfect for the job, fits all the requirements to a T, and he'd really like to have it. The position announcement said "No Phone Calls", but he's debating sending a follow-up email, just to make sure they don't need any more information from him, and to let them know he'd still like to have the job. I know there has got to be a good way to word his email, without sounding pushy or needy, but neither of us can come up with the perfect wording.

Does anybody have any suggestions, maybe some ideas for what has worked for you. Or maybe you don't think a follow-up at this point is a good idea. I'd especially like to know how department heads feel about this. The job is with a city engineering department. I've only done follow-up letters after interviews, thanking them for the opportunity... pleasure to meet you kind of stuff.

Thanks.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm.....

Call HR and ask if the job is still "open" and if they are still accepting applications. If the job is open until filled, you can still do this.....no need to give your name..... Call the transportation planner and ask a simple question about some street in town, using your middle name only....then at the end of the call find out what he/she knows about the position and if it might be getting filled from within......(this is a major problem with many jobs) They tend to take applications only as filler, when they have always inteded to hire from within....trying to make the process look fair.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2002

Not That Long

A week and a half doesn't seem that long- there may be an internal committee that wants to meet to review resumes, or internal candidates, or being too busy to interview. Our office tries to fill positions quickly and generally posts them as soon as we know they'll be vacant but it still often takes us weeks after the closing date to set up interviews.

I wouldn't call at all- they know where to reach him.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2006
    Here is a email I sent for a job when I didnt get a reply from HR. I would send a email to inquire about the status. The worst they can say is the position has been filled. The HR department is generally happy when qualified canidates call to inquire about openings. Asking shouldnt hurt his status as a canidate.

To whom it may concern:
    My name is ----- and I emailed my application for the position of
    Planner --- on Monday, April 17. I didn't receive a
    confirmation and I am afraid that my email didn't reach its intended
    target. It would be greatly appreciated if you could email back to
    confirm if my application has or hasn't been received. Thank you very
    much for your time.

Sincerely,

-----

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    A week and a half doesn't seem that long- there may be an internal committee that wants to meet to review resumes, or internal candidates, or being too busy to interview. Our office tries to fill positions quickly and generally posts them as soon as we know they'll be vacant but it still often takes us weeks after the closing date to set up interviews.

I wouldn't call at all- they know where to reach him.
    I agree with this too- i have waited up to a month before i have had a call from a firm, and when they rang it was to set up an interview.

You dont know how busy the HR department is, or how many applicants etc so i reckon its best to wait
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I don't think we've ever even received the apps to review from HR within a week and a half. Give it time - bureaucrats move slowly (especially those in HR!) The planners may want the job filled quickly, but that doesn't mean HR cares. If it says "no phone calls" I wouldn't e-mail either. I don't see any problem with calling HR, though, but don't expect much other than "the position is still open" or "the position has been filled" (indicating an internal applicant, as mentioned before). Good luck!!!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    My husband was just being impatient. He got an email yesterday, telling him they'll contact him shortly to schedule an interview. Thanks for convincing me to convince him to just hang in there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Job application questions
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Jun 2013, 10:32 PM
  2. AICP Application
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 10 Jun 2013, 7:24 PM
  3. Plan of OZ Application
    Friday Afternoon Club