Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Open space requirements for multi-family

Registered
    Mar 2005

Open space requirements for multi-family

We're updating our zoning ordinace and the Planning Commissioners want some feedback from other communities so I was curious...

What are the open space requirements for multiple family developments in your community?

We're proposing that at least 40 percent of the development be in open space/recreation/natural areas etc. How does that jive with the requirements around the country?? Thanks!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by CDT View post
    We're updating our zoning ordinace and the Planning Commissioners want some feedback from other communities so I was curious...

What are the open space requirements for multiple family developments in your community?

We're proposing that at least 40 percent of the development be in open space/recreation/natural areas etc. How does that jive with the requirements around the country?? Thanks!
    Do you consider roads and public easements to be part of your open spaces or just the parks & playgrounds dedicated for the users of that community? How about the space occupied by the recreational structures like clubhouses, gazebos, etc., are they part of the open spaces?

Registered
    Oct 2006
    OMS (WHO?) world halth organisation preconises 11 square meters of green public space per inhabiant...

Registered
    Oct 2006

Quantifying equipment and services for new developments

What about some
    good references to estimate capacity or surface requirements of schools, leisure, sports, and other services according to population or housing surface?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Roads would not qualify, but open easements would (like for drainageways)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We have setbacks and maximum building lot coverage (35% max for moderate density, 45% max for high density).

Now most of our new multi-family projects are on existing platted lots.

With new plats of subdivision we have the normal park donations (or fee-in-lieu), which is 9 acres of land per 1,000 ultimate population.

We are a 2nd ring suburb in northwest Chicagoland.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    We require a 30% open space standard with a usable open space standard for multi-family uses. The open space can not be all in setbacks areas or landscape islands in the parking lot. One-half of it has to be available for recreational use of some type. Either passive or active. This is a fairly suburban standard. If you have any true urban infill potential in your community you should look at a lesser standard for those areas or the ability to subsitute open space for better design.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Dumb, non-professional-planner question.

Doesn't a public open space requirement encourage sprawl?
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Luca View post
    Dumb, non-professional-planner question.
    Doesn't a public open space requirement encourage sprawl?
    Not necessarily. For a subdivision of land, many codes require land be dedicated for parks, which could be within any development pattern scale.

They could be required to provide 1 acre of park for a 10 acre subdivision with 20 units per acres (which is pretty "dense" in many US munis)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Roads would not qualify, but open easements would (like for drainageways)
    In that case, we have the following ruling;

Case I. Total of 40% for medium-density with bldg. height limit of 15 Mts. (49.21í)
    in which maximum allowable for paved open spaces (roads, driveways) shall be 30% and minimum of 10% for unpaved open spaces.

Case 2. Total of 30% for high-density bldg. height limit of 36 Mts. (118.12í)
    in which maximum allowable for paved open spaces shall be 20% and minimum of 10% for unpaved open spaces.

The above is applicable only to multiple-family dwelling units within one building/structure.

PUDís, Condominiums, apartments or complex subdivision project has its own ruling.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jess View post

Case I. Total of 40% for medium-density with bldg. height limit of 15 Mts. (49.21í)
    in which maximum allowable for paved open spaces (roads, driveways) shall be 30% and minimum of 10% for unpaved open spaces.

in which maximum allowable for paved open spaces shall be 20% and minimum of 10% for unpaved open spaces.

The above is applicable only to multiple-family dwelling units within one building/structure.

PUDís, Condominiums, apartments or complex subdivision project has its own ruling.

What is your specific location so I can note it in my report to the Planning Commission?? Thanks!

It sounds like our proposed 40% is on par for what others are doing. I'd love more input from other cities.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    What is your specific location so I can note it in my report to the Planning Commission?? Thanks!

It sounds like our proposed 40% is on par for what others are doing. I'd love more input from other cities.
    Thanks for your interest to our code. Ours is a unified code implemented across the whole country. We're right here in dowtown Manila.

Registered
    Oct 2006

other than -Open space- requirements for multi-family

furher into multi-family development planning...

other than open space ratios have you fixed requirements for playgrounds surfaces (or other not-open-space surfaces for community services) according to number of inhabitants or density?

thanks

Quote Originally posted by Jess View post

Registered
    Jun 2002
    We require 30% Open Space in our almost 20,000 population "bedroom community" near a state capital. Paved areas may not be included.

Building setbacks may be included in the Open Space requirement.

Setbacks:
    Front Yard: 200 feet with no parking lots, patios, or swimming pools or other paved surfaces except for entrance/exit drives.
    Side Yards: 50 feet except when abutting other residential zones, then it must be 100 feet without paving areas.
    Minimum space between buildings: 100 feet.

No more that 50% of the open space may be covered by lakes or ponds.

If the development is to be built in phases, each phase must have 30% Open Space.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by wcam View post
    furher into multi-family development planning...

other than open space ratios have you fixed requirements for playgrounds surfaces (or other not-open-space surfaces for community services) according to number of inhabitants or density?

thanks
    Density ratio is applicable to TND's and parcellary subdivided into smaller lots. Community services are computed separately according to the resulting density of the project.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Multi-family development
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 5:49 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Apr 2008, 12:54 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Dec 2006, 2:57 PM
  4. Open space requirements
    Land Use and Zoning