Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Devils Night

Registered
    May 2005

Devils Night

Is Devils Night in Detroit still as big as it was some years ago? I’m just saying I haven’t heard much about it Nationally it seems, lately. What other cities does this take place in? I will do some in-depth research (Youtube videos!!! Ha.) today.

A good book on it and Detroit I read is, “Devils Night: And Other Tales of Detroit” by Zev Chafets.

Bill

Registered
    May 2005
    It is nowhere near as bad as it use to be.

Detroit now has what it calls Angels Night, a volunteer effort aimed at curbing the arson, etc. It has been very effective.

http://www.angelsnight.org/angelsnight/default.htm

Registered
    May 2005
    Where I grew up (outside of Philadelphia), we called it "mischief night." In neighboring cities in New Jersey things did sometimes get out of hand with arson and the like, but I never experienced this stuff myself. We just toilet papered trees, threw the occasional egg and generally ran around in the dark at night being idiots. It was always the night before Halloween.

I recently asked people from here in New Mexico if they had this same tradition. They said they just sometimes practice what is called "beggars night" which is evidently just a variant of "trick or treating." You beg for candy (treat) and if you don't get it, you vandalize the home (tricking - usually things like toilet papering the trees and maybe egging the place). I think they do this in Ohio, too, though I was not clear if it is the night of or the night before Halloween.

What say you, Buckeyes?
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In my hometown, it was called Cabbage Night and it consisted of egg throwing battles, shaving cream fights (and decorating) and pumpkin smashing (preying on those ignorant souls who forgot about Cabbage Night). Even though it was only about 20 years ago, I don't think kids know anything about it today.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by ICT/316 View post
    Is Devils Night in Detroit still as big as it was some years ago? I’m just saying I haven’t heard much about it Nationally it seems, lately. What other cities does this take place in? I will do some in-depth research (Youtube videos!!! Ha.) today....
    IIRC Devil's Night was greatly diminished during the last year(s) of the Young administration, and Mayor Archer pretty well put it down for good. That was at least five years ago. Much depends on the weather; combustibles burn better on warm dry nights.

When I was with the city, the public involvement was amazing. City staffers driving around all night during the days before. I recall looking up and down a block and seeing three different yellow flashers (atop car roofs) in the area.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    In Fort Dodge, It's "Beggar's Night"- they only let you trick or treat on this night, not on Halloween.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    In Madison, WI they have Freakfest, which was held this past Saturday. In years previous the riots got out of hand, and then the city decided to organize the whole thing and charge admission, and now I guess it isn't as much fun, of course.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I hope nobody dresses up at work tomorrow. There was no discussion of it today, so probably won't happen.
    When I get home tomorrow, I hope ZG greets me in that French maid outfit that...oops. Never mind; keep walking, folks....
    Annoyingly insensitive

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Pub Night in Downtown LA
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Jul 2009, 11:44 AM
  2. The Freaks Come Out at Night
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 24 Aug 2004, 7:13 AM
  3. Replies: 9