Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by john View post
    The Sox will sweep the Rockies in four games............as they did to the Cardinals in 2004 (1967 is another story)............it is interesting that the Sox came back after being down 3 games to 1...........wonder if they get crowd or game incentives, since each game adds millions to the player''s, owner's and others pockets............just wondering..........
    Yes the fix is in, highly skilled and competitive athletes who have honed their craft are going to throw a few games for the a few extra bucks while risking not making the next round and forgoing much more money. Get real!!!
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The Sox will sweep the Rockies in four games............
    Oh yeah... cause you're, like, sooooo sure...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    He may not be, but I am. GO SOX!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    My biggest hope with this World Series is that the arrogance of red sox nation get knocked down a couple of notches.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My biggest hope with this World Series is that the arrogance of red sox nation get knocked down a couple of notches.
    Not likely after last night. Is that Francis guy your best pitcher?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

oh, I'm sorry, you must have us confused with Yankee fans, who are all home crying...

arrogance? are you kidding me?!? we've been taking it up the @$$ with a curse that we finally broke 3 years ago!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Not likely after last night. Is that Francis guy your best pitcher?
    Quote Originally posted by luckless ped
    arrogance? are you kidding me?!? we've been taking it up the @$$ with a curse that we finally broke 3 years ago!
    File last night under "waking a sleeping giant." We got our one loss in 20 games out of the way again and now we can go back to winning.

I don't see a big deal with this at all.

Take the series split in Beantown and then win the next three at Coors Field, I don't see the problem with this at all.

DISCLAIMER: My "arrogance" comment is mainly directed at the new found Red Sox "fans" out here in Colorado that all of a sudden came out of the woodwork a couple years ago. All you lifers had many struggles with Red Sox WS appearance prior to 2004 and had to deal with the ever GREATER arrongance coming out of the Bronx. Betwixt the Yankees and Red Sox, I would take the Red Sox. Between the Rockies and the Red Sox... well, you know...
    But the Patriots still suck (in that way where they don't suck skills-wise, but they suck to the rest of us that cannot believe they are THAT GOOD...

-Peart

Registered
    Jan 2005
    File last night under "waking a sleeping giant." We got our one loss in 20 games out of the way again and now we can go back to winning.

I don't see a big deal with this at all.

Take the series split in Beantown and then win the next three at Coors Field, I don't see the problem with this at all.

DISCLAIMER: My "arrogance" comment is mainly directed at the new found Red Sox "fans" out here in Colorado that all of a sudden came out of the woodwork a couple years ago. All you lifers had many struggles with Red Sox WS appearance prior to 2004 and had to deal with the ever GREATER arrongance coming out of the Bronx. Betwixt the Yankees and Red Sox, I would take the Red Sox. Between the Rockies and the Red Sox... well, you know...
    But the Patriots still suck (in that way where they don't suck skills-wise, but they suck to the rest of us that cannot believe they are THAT GOOD...
    Eventually you will have to win a game in Fenway Park, and I don't see that happening. Not with the pitching I witnessed last night. I read an article that said the only member of the Red Sox that didn't come to the plate in the fifth inning was the mascot, Wally the Green Monster, and that Spier probably would have walked him too

Also, we should call the new found Red Sox fans what they are- bandwagon jumpers. It angers me as a lifelong/diehard Sox fan to watch my team become like the Bulls, Cowboys, etc. They don't deserve to enjoy any of our recent success IMO.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

okay, now that was a funny post...

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Also, we should call the new found Red Sox fans what they are- bandwagon jumpers.
    grrr I hate the pink hats (the local term for the recent, apologies in advance, female bandwagon jumpers). Actually, a lot of men fall into the pink hat crowd as well.

The Onion's got some good stuff this morning as well....

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/68709

Terry Francona Announces Josh Beckett Will Start Games 1, 4, 7, 2, 6, 3, 5

BOSTON—Boston Red Sox manager Terry Francona announced Tuesday that the Colorado Rockies would receive a healthy dose of pitcher Josh Becket during the 2007 World Series, saying that the ALCS MVP would start games one, four, seven, two, six, three, and five, in that order. "I don't think this should come as a real shock to anyone," Francona told reporters, adding that with this schedule, Beckett should get "more than enough rest" between games one and four, which would allow him to be at maximum strength for games seven, two, and, if necessary, six, three, and the crucial fifth game. "Looking at the pitchers I have at my disposal, this gives us the best chance to win." According to Francona, Beckett should also be ready to pitch in late-inning relief of himself in games four and six, close games seven and three, and pitch on three hours rest if needed.
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/68710

Rockies Complain About 'Thick' Fenway Park Air

BOSTON—Although Colorado players, managers, and coaches said they would not issue a formal complaint about the playing conditions in Boston, the Rockies have gone on record as saying the "thick, soupy sea-level air" in the city made it unusually difficult for them to play baseball. "Seriously, I can barely push my bat through this stuff," said Rockies slugger Matt Holliday, who collapsed and had to be administered less oxygen after Wednesday's practice. "I was hitting them as hard as I could out there and the ball was still returning to the earth. We might as well be playing in quicksand." Other Rockies players were equally vocal in their criticism of the hostile atmosphere in Boston, with Kaz Matsui claiming he found it hard to slide through the viscous air and Willie Taveras aggravating a recent thigh injury while attempting to stand up quickly.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I completely understand the BoSox loyalists' dislike of the recent bandwagon jumpers. The Braves had a ton of folks (including Mrs. Bubba, for the record) jump on the bandwagon in October 1991...although I do admit that the sheer number of bandwagonners was not unexpected, since there were only about 800 or so Braves fans left at the conclusion of the 1990 season. I imagine that a lot of them will sprain their ankles jumping off the wagon next year if the Braves miss the playoffs again and Bobby Cox retires.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I feel asleep near the beginning of the 5th inning, then woke up alittle later and saw it was still the 5th and thought 'good I didn't miss much'...then looked at the score - WTF?!?!?

Anyway Bubba - I remember the pushcart we Braves fans had in the 70s and 80s (we didn't need a bandwagon back then). Ahh memories of Chief Nocahoma.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Anyway Bubba - I remember the pushcart we Braves fans had in the 70s and 80s (we didn't need a bandwagon back then). Ahh memories of Chief Nocahoma.
    Oh, yes, the bad 'ol days. I remember going down to Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium two hours before game time and getting tickets from the box office for field level seats behind home plate...and there's also the great story about the guy in the stands at one of the games during the mid-80s turning around and yelling up at the TBS broadcast booth - "Hey, Van Wieren - keep it down!"

Red Sox in 5, I think.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007

Sox in 5

I don't think Jimenez has ever pitched against an AL team... and his introduction will be the absolutely scorching bats of the BoSox... the kid is good, but tonight might be a prime example of the difference between the AL and the JV...uh i mean NL . Sox will take one in denver and Beckett will shut it down in game 5. My two (slightly obnoxious) cents.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ahhh.....

go Rockies

:-d
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Apr 1996

Figured I'd post this here instead of the lolcat thread, since, well, there aren't any cats in the pic.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    ^^Uhh... yeah... pay attention Holliday....

And now... my thoughts about this Series...

Could we...

Maybe...

Please?...

WAKE UP THE BATS?!

That Boston pitching is a FORCE... either that or the Rocks are just there watching. How many called strikes can one time watch go by? What happened to their patience at the plate? I may not know much about baseball, but called strikes are typically right down the middle, right? Isn't that where you would want to hit them?

At least we're back in Denver now...

I feel beaten down today. I'm leaving town.

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001

Barry, say it ain't so...

Bonds: Don't count me out
    Gwen Knapp

San Francisco -- Barry Bonds launched a subtle campaign Wednesday night in front of 450 people at a Commonwealth Club gathering. The slogan was inspired by Yogi Berra: His career as a Giant isn't over until it's over.

"There's still time," he said. "Things might change."

"I told Peter Magowan that if I'm a part-time player, I'm still better than your full-time player, and it's a wise idea to keep me," Bonds said just before he hinted at a reconciliation.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../SPN1SVDIR.DTL
    Annoyingly insensitive

Arrogance, I grew up with that F**king curse, now its gone for good. If you didn't grow up with the curse, then you have no idea what is like to see your dreams crushed each year in September. I can proudly say that my Dad saw them win the world series, and maybe he will see them win again this year and for a lot of people from Boston, seeing the Sox win before they die was a dream. We are not arrgoant we are just basking in the glory of winning for once. And lastly of course it was a good year, they beat the Yankees..........

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    He also said if he was made one of the decision makers he could guarnatee a World-Series championship for San Fran because he was excellent at evaluating talent. I guess that's right because he could evaluate Conte's BALCO place with supplying the right mix of clear and cream (that stuff is just linseed oil right?) - UGH! Please Barry, just go bye-bye.

On a better note:
    Great game last night. Strong pitching and defense from both sides. Manny almost over ran third and Holliday was napping (that might have been the difference). So does Ortiz play first? Does Yoooooouuuuuk sit out? Does Dice-K pitch likes he did eariler in the year? Who pitches Game 4 - Lester or Beckett? Do the Rox like back home? Can Manny cover a large left field? Did Hurdle cattle-prod the men with the purple bats? Ain't Baseball Great?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by chrisinmd View post
    Arrogance, I grew up with that F**king curse, now its gone for good. If you didn't grow up with the curse, then you have no idea what is like to see your dreams crushed each year in September. I can proudly say that my Dad saw them win the world series, and maybe he will see them win again this year and for a lot of people from Boston, seeing the Sox win before they die was a dream. We are not arrgoant we are just basking in the glory of winning for once. And lastly of course it was a good year, they beat the Yankees..........
    Dude, did you read my Disclaimer?

I don't know what it is like watching my dreams get crushed?
    1987 Giants 39 Broncos 20
    1988 Redskins 42 Broncos 10
    1990 49ers 55 Broncos 10

Sure it is a different sport, but don't say I don;t suffer. I'm suffering right now in September.

The Red Sox are a beast and I hope the Rocks can wake up this weekend in the Thin, Crisp Rocky Mountain air.

-Peart

Quote Originally posted by chrisinmd View post
    You mean beside me, a life-long Cubs fan who haven't been in the Series in my 43-year lifetime?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Dude, did you read my Disclaimer?

I don't know what it is like watching my dreams get crushed?
    1987 Giants 39 Broncos 20
    1988 Redskins 42 Broncos 10
    1990 49ers 55 Broncos 10

Sure it is a different sport, but don't say I don;t suffer. I'm suffering right now in September.

The Red Sox are a beast and I hope the Rocks can wake up this weekend in the Thin, Crisp Rocky Mountain air.
    I guess I never realized the Red Sox are a beast? Growing up with them since the 1960's and following them every year and them having them win in 2004 was like a dream..............but of course the Yankees ARE the Evil Empire!!!

Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    He may not be, but I am. GO SOX!
    Yea, I am..........'course could never afford a ticket at Fenway, Big Money has taken over..........used to pay 2 bucks for a bleacher seat, five bucks for grandstand (with many obstructed views). But now I watch 'em for FREE! Such a deal!!!

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Yes the fix is in, highly skilled and competitive athletes who have honed their craft are going to throw a few games for the a few extra bucks while risking not making the next round and forgoing much more money. Get real!!!
    Actually its more than a few extra bucks............go to a game sometime and count what you spend on incidentals..........parking ($50-100), popcorn, sodas (or tonic in beantown), hot dogs, peanuts, pretzels, beer (8 bucks times six = too much), souveniers, etc etc.............plus television rights, and the beat goes on..............

Yu gotta see this..............

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...p_the_sox?pg=2
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 26 Oct 2007 at 4:31 PM. Reason: triple reply

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Good stuff.

My favs:

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 233
    Last post: 30 Oct 2011, 12:12 PM
  2. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM
  3. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 11:28 AM
  4. Replies: 251
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 11:30 AM
  5. Replies: 338