Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle View post
    The Braves are done for. It looks like the sale to Liberty Media, who is buying them solely as an accounting device to avoid paying capital gains taxes on Time-Warner stock, is about to go through. Liberty has no real desire to own and operate the Braves but they have to take them to get the tax breaks. Expect to see them cut expenses, especially in salaries, everywhere they can so keep this "asset" from ever costing them money. Five years from now when they can resell the Braves without incurring the tax liability they're trying to avoid, the Braves will be the new Marlins.

Of course, I could be wrong about this. Liberty might want to plow lots of money into the team in hopes of making it a more valuable property to later sell but if history is any indication, it is best to gut the franchise of its high price players and other expenses so the books look good when it is time to sell.
    Yep, I read that Liberty will probably just hang on to the team for 2 years and sell. Not good news for the Bravos. Hopefully they'll see the need to lock up A. Jones (and others) to keep the value of the team up there. Gotta remain optimistic (and I don't have to read the Atlanta Journal reporters opinions).

Good article in SI this morning about 10 players over 30 and they showcased Chipper Jones and his injuries over the last 3 years.

Bubba & Aubie Turtle, I might be heading for the TED in early May and then in September. I'll let you know for sure. We usually have to eat at the Vortex for burgers and beers. Could be a good excuse for a laefest.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Yep, I read that Liberty will probably just hang on to the team for 2 years and sell. Not good news for the Bravos...

Bubba & Aubie Turtle, I might be heading for the TED in early May and then in September. I'll let you know for sure. We usually have to eat at the Vortex for burgers and beers. Could be a good excuse for a laefest.
    The sale of Los Bravos to Liberty shouldn't affect anything this season, and I think that Andruw will be in some other uniform next year regardless of the ownership situation. It will be very interesting to see what Liberty does in regards to the payroll for next season, though.

Keep me posted about your pilgrimages to the ATL - you won't have to twist my arm too much to get me down to the Vortex.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Off-topic:
    Are you from Appleton? I think the former Razorback baseball coach Norm DeBriyn is from up that way. An outstanding coach and all around guy...
    Well, my little avatar box says that I am.

Anyways, I had never heard of him, but a quick Google search shows that he grew up in Ashland, WI (on the Lake Superior shoreline, far northern edge of the state) and graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh (my BS alma-mater and about a 30 minute drive from where I live).

The UWOshkosh Titans have historically had a very good Div-II baseball program, right up to this day.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Isn't Jerry Koosman (1969 World Series NY Mets pitcher) from Appleton, WI?
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Well, my little avatar box says that I am.

Anyways, I had never heard of him, but a quick Google search shows that he grew up in Ashland, WI (on the Lake Superior shoreline, far northern edge of the state) and graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh (my BS alma-mater and about a 30 minute drive from where I live).

The UWOshkosh Titans have historically had a very good Div-II baseball program, right up to this day.

Mike
    People lie in the little boxes...

I just know he was always getting recruits from up in your area. And he really was a very good guy. He was the coach for many many years, and still works with the program. (We stole Van Horn from Nebraska, and he's a heck of a coach.)

On Topic:

GO PHILS!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Isn't Jerry Koosman (1969 World Series NY Mets pitcher) from Appleton, WI?
    Close, but no cigar, Koosman was born/raised in Appleton, MN.

OTOH, numerous Major League standouts have played Minor League baseball here, most recently Alex Rodriguez.

Mike

I'm bummed that my Redbirds let Jeff Soup Suppan get away, but I think the Brewers are over-paying him and I think he'll be disappointed that the brew crew infield commits so many errors.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I have said it several times before (and last year it almost came true.. who knew!)

TIGERS WILL WIN IT ALL!

(and will beat the Cubs in the world series!)
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

2007 Predictions

This Bear is again pulling for a Detroit Tigers appearance in the World Series.....and this time, victory in the October Show.

But.....I have to be a realist in my picks.....the AL Central is an incredibly strong division.....getting through that schedule will be a tough nut to crack.

My picks:

AL East
    Boston
    New York
    Toronto
    Tampa Bay
    Baltimore

AL Central
    Minnesota
    Detroit (Wild Card)
    Chicago
    Cleveland
    Kansas City

AL West
    Oakland
    Texas
    Los Angeles
    Seattle

NL East
    New York
    Philadelphia (Wild Card)
    Washington
    Atlanta
    Florida

NL Central
    Houston
    St. Louis
    Chicago
    Cincinnati
    Pittsburgh
    Milwaukee

NL West
    Los Angeles
    San Diego
    San Francisco
    Arizona
    Colorado

World Series: Twins defeat Mets in seven games.
    _____

Sure hope I am wrong.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Man, Adam Wainwright of the Cardinals, last seen as a closer striking out the Tigers to clinch the World Series (sorry Bear has a Spring Training ERA of 0.98 as a starter. I'm a lot less concerned about the massive changes to our rotation now than I was in January. Plus, we should get Mulder back at the perfect time to ride that hoss.

Dave Duncan is a freakin' genius pitching coach!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Hey Bubba and Aubie Turtle - Interesting article in SI.com about Andruw Jones and his future with the Braves. unfortunatley it may be his last year wearing a tomahawk on his chest, especially with Bora$ as his agent.

3 Days unilt the season begins! Here's a little trivia for ya. Name the only player to be traded for "a player to be named later" and then becoming that player to be named later?

In 1962, Cleveland Indians catcher Harry Chiti was purchased by the Mets for a player to be named later in the season. That "player to be named later" ended up being Harry Chiti. Chiti is the only player ever to be sent back to his original team in a trade in Major League history.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Hey Bubba and Aubie Turtle - Interesting article in SI.com about Andruw Jones and his future with the Braves. unfortunatley it may be his last year wearing a tomahawk on his chest, especially with Bora$ as his agent.

3 Days unilt the season begins! Here's a little trivia for ya. Name the only player to be traded for "a player to be named later" and then becoming that player to be named later?
    Andruw Jones career as a Brave will end after this season. He has stated no "home town discount" and he chided the Braves for not ponying up for Furcal. My guess is he will be roming centerfield in Chavas Revine in 2008.

If only we could release Hampton to free up some $$$.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Aug 2005
    In 1962, Cleveland Indians catcher Harry Chiti was purchased by the Mets for a player to be named later in the season. That "player to be named later" ended up being Harry Chiti. Chiti is the only player ever to be sent back to his original team in a trade in Major League history.
    That's funny - I read a tongue-in-cheek season preview a couple of days ago (on ESPN Page 2, maybe?) that suggested the Red Soxs satisfy Manny Ramirez's on-again, off-again trade demands by telling him that he'd been traded to the Mets for a player to be named later that turned out to be Manny Ramirez.

I've figured for the last couple of years that Andruw would be gone after this season unless new ownership stepped up and increased the payroll past the $80 million range - and I don't see that happening with Liberty Media.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    10 great places to relish fine stadium fare

Headline and article from USA TODAY:
    http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...ium-food_N.htm

HIGHLIGHT:
    Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks" goes the line from baseball anthem Take Me Out to the Ball Game. But nowadays, the menu at the ol' ballpark goes way beyond that: fish tacos, pierogies — even sushi. With baseball season scheduled to start this weekend, Kevin Reichard, founder of ballparkdigest.com, directs Ron Schoolmeester for USA TODAY to the best places for food fare and all the fixins' at stadiums nationwide.
    Stadiums mentioned:

AT&T Park - San Francisco
    Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City, Mo.
    Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles
    Petco Park - San Diego
    Safeco Field - Seattle
    PNC Park - Pittsburgh
    Jacobs Field - Cleveland
    Coors Field - Denver
    Miller Park - Milwaukee

Your favorite stadium food / beer ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    10 great places to relish fine stadium fare

Headline and article from USA TODAY:
    http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...ium-food_N.htm

HIGHLIGHT:

Stadiums mentioned:

AT&T Park - San Francisco
    Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City, Mo.
    Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles
    Petco Park - San Diego
    Safeco Field - Seattle
    PNC Park - Pittsburgh
    Jacobs Field - Cleveland
    Coors Field - Denver
    Miller Park - Milwaukee

Your favorite stadium food / beer ?
    I've only been to Miller Park in recent years (at least for baseball) and the realllllly good food there is in the parking lot before and after the game. The concessions stands aren't that bad, either.

BTW, just announced, genuine Midwest (Express) Airline fresh hot chocolate chip cookies will be available at Miller Park this season.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bring your credit card to AT&T Park.

It has finally come to this -- the $8 beer at AT&T Park.

That's for 20 ounces of draft Bud, Coors or Miller in a plastic cup -- up 25 cents from last season, and 50 cents more than what the A's are charging for the same size brew at the Coliseum. (Then again, the A's do offer a 24-ounce bottle of Corona for, yikes, $10.)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AGV5OVOJ91.DTL

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Three days into the season, Planit, and things look good for Los Bravos (so far). The bullpen looks solid and McCann is playing like the contract extension is well justified. I won't panic about the fact that our leadoff hitter is zero-for-the-season for at least another day or two...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Three days into the season, Planit, and things look good for Los Bravos (so far). The bullpen looks solid and McCann is playing like the contract extension is well justified. I won't panic about the fact that our leadoff hitter is zero-for-the-season for at least another day or two...
    The bottom of the order and the bullpen are their strong points right now and that's fine. McCann looks like he's really enjoying himself. Frenchy finally got hits and Huddy pitched a strong one last night. All that talk about if Johnson was able to play second was garbage. Its only a couple games in, but the biggest point is the two extra inning wins this year were two 9 inning losses last year. Hope your broom is out tonight.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Ahhh yes. 'Tis a good thing to watch the St. Loser Crads get pounded at home (and swept).

The Chubs won too.

And the Rockies have won their first opening series in a long time going 2-1 against the D-Backs.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Ahhh yes. 'Tis a good thing to watch the St. Loser Crads get pounded at home (and swept).

The Chubs won too.
    Ah, yes, Small Bear fans chortling at the Redbirds. In April.

Go ahead, zman. We'll see where things are in October, when it matters.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Ah, yes, Small Bear fans chortling at the Redbirds. In April.

Go ahead, zman. We'll see where things are in October, when it matters.
    The team will fold mis-season after seeing an outfield that is afraid of the ball...
    "Oh... the lights..."
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    So there I was Saturday afternoon, all ready to watch Smoltz versus Glavine...Braves versus Mets and FOX TV blacks out the game to show Mad Max. Come on I'm 4 hours away from Atlanta! It's not like I'm within the immediate area! Then I couldn't find it on TBS or SportsSouth..ugh! I watched the Masters instead.

Los Bravos take 2 of 3 from the Metropolitans...and that's a good thing

Registered
    Aug 2005
    So there I was Saturday afternoon, all ready to watch Smoltz versus Glavine...Braves versus Mets and FOX TV blacks out the game to show Mad Max. Come on I'm 4 hours away from Atlanta! It's not like I'm within the immediate area!
    That's insane...the game was not blacked out locally...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Time for a redux of the movie Major League - the Angels @ Indians series (Tuesday 10-April through Thursday 12-April - 3 games) has been moved to Miller Park in Milwaukee due to the over-abundant snow in Cleveland, OH. Tickets $10 each, parking $8.

Yes, the Sausages will run but these three games will not count for their season record.

BTW, old County Stadium in Milwaukee stood in for old Cleveland Municipal Stadium during Major League's filming.

(I wonder if they'll be playing Joan Jett's version of Wild Thing on the PA system....)

Mike
    Last edited by mgk920; 10 Apr 2007 at 11:19 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Time for a redux of the movie Major League - the Angels @ Indians series (Tuesday 10-April through Thursday 12-April - 3 games) has been moved to Miller Park in Milwaukee due to the over-abundant snow in Cleveland, OH. Tickets $10 each, parking $8.

Yes, the Sausages will run but these three games will not count for their season record.

BTW, old County Stadium in Milwaukee stood in for old Cleveland Municipal Stadium during Major League's filming.

(I wonder if they'll be playing Joan Jett's version of Wild Thing on the PA system....)

Mike
    Huh? They're actually gonna play three games that won't count for anything?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 233
    Last post: 30 Oct 2011, 1:12 PM
  2. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 12:02 PM
  3. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 12:28 PM
  4. Replies: 251
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 12:30 PM
  5. Replies: 338