• Redneck - Resident of the Town next door

1 2.13%
  • Mom/Pop - All my clothes are stained from the kids

5 10.64%
  • Mall Rat

0 0%
  • T's and Track pants

1 2.13%
  • Fashionista - it has to be new and expensive, and I'll only wear it for a month

1 2.13%
  • I'm an original, I'll describe below

20 42.55%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Describe your style

Registered
    Sep 2001

Describe your style

AIB by the JAB threads and the clothign thread, how would you describe your style?

The reason I ask this is last night I was at a party and someone said I looked like an art student. I don't think it is a bad thing, but it definitely has connotations associated with it.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I will spend $12 on a shirt, $20 on pants, $20 on my one and only (never worn) sportcoat, and will spend whatever it takes on comfortable shoes. Jeans and political t-shirts on the weekends (not allowed under the company dress code).

I also buy in bulk when my price is reached.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    My last girlfriend insisted that I was metrosexual. I think it was more because of who she had dated in the past than anything I did. Since I work at a law firm, I have to dress nice but hate the white shirt and conservative tie look so I tend to be a bit more stylish than that. I never use any type of hair gel or mousse. Heck, I don't even use hair spray. I've never had my nails done or anything like that. Isn't the use of hair products a requirement for metrosexual membership? Wouldn't I get kicked out for changing my own oil and owning a table saw?

I voted iHipster since I actually do live in a faux loft (though I've been de-loftifying it) and do eat and drink at places with names like Halo, Slice, Piebar, and Shout (yes, it does have a sister restaurant named Twist).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Generally speaking, conservative. Maybe on the preppy side. ZG or Rumpy can confirm.
    Trust me, I'm with the government.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00348[1] (4).jpg  

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Left to my own devices, the preferred style of dress is whatever is the most comfortable thing to wear. This means lots of baggy t-shirts and sweat pants (or shorts in the summer). I've said it elsewhere before but if I could get away with wearing dashikis I would.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I voted preppy because I really like classic, well made clothing that will last season over season and not go out of style. Buttondowns, sweaters, khakis, wool flannels, etc are the backbone of my wardrobe. I do like bright colors though so I indulge that habit a bit and love the new wrinkle resistant version of clothes.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Hmmm, I look like a day laborer or an illegal alien to some people.

I could be spokesperson for J-mart after my visit there yesterday. Cheap, because some how I'm going to get paint, blood, or something else on it. At work JC Penny's.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have no "style". I pretty much live in jeans, t-shirts, polos, and shorts. I wear tennis shoes most of the time. I never wear my shirts tucked in; RJ always tucks his shirt in, even around the house...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    mixed bag here in my closet, classic enduring styles coexist comfortably with grungewear. Nothing avant garde or too trendy. I could use more color in the wardrobe.
    what is the purpose within
    if not to reach the cluBBe
    herein it remains contained
    let the journey of the words begin

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Typical bland midwesterner who is almost 50 yrs old.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Hmm im a bit strange when it comes to style- i dont think i can classify myself in any category.

I go to work, and i dress professionally, but add a bit of colour or some chunky beads or something to make it more "nat".

At home i am more "slob/sporty" and am a huge fan of trackies and a singlet to hang around the house in, or pop down to the shops to pick up the groceries.

When i go to uni or out somewhere i will usually dress up a little, some designer jeans and a nice shirt, i have been getting into wearing dresses lately.

So im a bit of everything i guess!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    My style? I got none... nor do I care about it... I just wear whatever is clean in the morning...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My wardrobe is really kind of eclectic. I dress in lots of dark colours for work, slacks and twin sets mostly, or button down long sleeve shirts.

Outside of work, totally mixed bag. Usually nice jeans and black sweaters, worn with funky shoes are my M.O. But I have a lot of bizarre pieces that I bring out on occasions, like I have a few different pairs of Chuck Taylor plaid hi-tops and some really nice doc martin wingtips. These are usually relegated to concert wear (punk or ska) these days. My husband describes my general style as artsy urban, but it has become much more laid back since moving to Alberta. I looked kind of odd with all the cowboys around here.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    Hmmm, I look like a day laborer or an illegal alien to some people.
    Just leave the sandals at home and not in the office, OK?

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    RJ always tucks his shirt in, even around the house...
    There's something wrong with that? Geez. I'll give you a wedgie next time a see you...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sounds repetitive but "I am my own man". My own crappy style.

work - casual. no tie (might hang myself)
    home- what ever is clean. tend to keep things for decades at a time.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I am a chameleon. I dress for the occasion. However, last week, I was dusting those hard to reach places at my parent's house in a blue suit. this involved a lot of reaching around and assuming that their maid did a decent job. I left their covered in dust!

BTW before you picture me as some spoon-fed brat, my parents only got the maid last year. She comes in once a month. With mom getting over her cancer and dad with bad legs, this was the best solution to the situation.

I usually try to push the envelope to see what I can get away with when dressing. I wore my tux to my 20 year High School reunion, but also have shoes nearly as old that I mow the lawn in.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I guess if I lived in a metro area where there actually WERE restaurants with one name, I'd probably go to them, so I'll have to vote other, but I'd fit right in w/the iHipsters I think. Thats for work though. Weekends, depending on the season, its either cycling shorts/jersey, or Carharts to go play in the woods.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I have no fashion style…
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I am so like... none of the above... I suppose that my lifestyle is modern urban hippy... but it doesn't translate to any sort of fashion statement or style per se. I dunno.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Definite Hipster, cross-bred w/ metro sexual

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'd probably classify myself as a thrifty hipster. I tend to gravitate toward the metrosexual style -- but no salons & bodywaxing for me! I will look at the trends and adopt the ones that seem capable of lasting and look good on me (and I can duplicate at a reasonable price). The suits I have are more modern cuts and wingtips are a dirty word in my closet. I tend toward a bicycle-toe or split-toe. I like the "martini" bars because its one of the few places in a college town I can go get a drink and not have to put up with popped collars and college girls that drink a nice beer or martini like its a can of Natural Light. It also seems like that's the only place I can find a bartender worth anything. If we had lofts in this town, I'd think seriously about buying one. My folks & I almost went in together to buy an old downtown building, but it just wasn't financially feasible for us at the time.

at home I'm a khaki shorts - Hawaiian shirt - flip flops kind of guy.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am usually the best dressed guy at the office, but that is because 1) everyone else dresses casual, and 2) my wife buys most of my clothes. Usually a dress shirt, dockers and nice shoes. Put on my sports coat for public meetings, cuz I look so damn fine. My weekend clothes tend to be the work clothes that are past thier prime.

One of the guys in the office says he wears the jeans, work shirts and boots to fit in with our clientele. Guess that is the difference between us. He dresses to make a good impression on contractors and developers. I dress to impress the ladies! After all, I am the Continental.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Not sure how I would classify myself. For the most part I dress trendy when going out outside of work. At work, still trendy but more conservative. Weekends, around the house? Sweats, sweatshirts and jeans...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    ... I dress to impress the ladies! ....
    That's why you is the man. Great idea; I'll keep that in mind.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Mood swings

Quote Originally posted by Bertrand View post
    Sounds repetitive but "I am my own man". My own crappy style.

work - casual. no tie (might hang myself)
    home- what ever is clean. tend to keep things for decades at a time.
    Me too.

My style is variable according to what kind of mood I am in. When I am in an upbeet mood, I will be wearing tye-dye and jeans and looking like a hippie. When I am in a more mellow mood, I will tend to dress up a little more.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Words to describe your day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 170
    Last post: 19 Apr 2017, 11:46 AM
  2. Describe planning in just six words
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 07 Apr 2016, 2:13 PM
  3. Describe the owner