Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sen. Kerry's "stuck in Iraq" comment

Registered
    Jan 2005

Sen. Kerry's "stuck in Iraq" comment

At a rally on a California college campus for the Democratic gubernatorial candidate Sen. John Kerry told college students that if they don't get an education than they'll be "stuck in Iraq". Immmediately the GOP pounced on Kerry and Sen. McCain demanded an apology. Kerry said he just botched a joke and fired back at the Bush administration.

Whatever his intent, Kerry's statement certainly came out sounding pretty bad. And dems probably just wish he would shut up. But do you think Kerry should apologize? Do you think this will have any affect on the upcoming races?
    Last edited by hilldweller; 01 Nov 2006 at 11:34 AM. Reason: grammar

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I think that he should say he is sorry and it was a stupid thing to say.

Yes… at least one person in America who serviced in the Armed Forces, who also has an advanced degree will no longer vote democrat.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    This is why our politicians lie. Whenever any of them speak the truth, everyone cries bloody murder. People would rather that inconvenient or unpleasant truths be smoothed over, distorted, reversed or omitted altogether. Yes tact is also important, but sooner or later tactfulness becomes a deceit which reality is prone to dislodge.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Both Kerry and Bush should apologize and they should hold a joint press confrence to do so.

Kerry should apologize for his statement. Regardless of his intentions and meaning his word choice was wrong. He needs to be a man and admit this and correct his tresspass.

Bush should join him in apologizing. In Bushes case he should apologize to the troops for failing to have a strategy that will make there jobs in Iraq safer, not requiring them to go to Iraq once every 7 months, not having any plan to end the US involvement (Vietnamization is a failed strategy), and for letting the Taliban regain a foothold in Afghanistan.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    I dont believe it was a joke.

He threw the military under the bus once, and he's simply doing it again. Ladies and Gentleman, the Senator from Mass. is showing his true colors.

Love,
    Jeff
    USMC Vet currently enrolled in Graduate Engineering program.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    I dont believe it was a joke.

He threw the military under the bus once, and he's simply doing it again. Ladies and Gentleman, the Senator from Mass. is showing his true colors.

Love,
    Jeff
    USMC Vet currently enrolled in Graduate Engineering program.
    I agree. however, I don't believe his intent was to bash the military, rather than bash Bush policy.

Kerry is a bonehead and needs to apologize to everyone for saying stupid things.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    If his true intent was to get up there and bash the military, then he is a bigger bonehead than he appears.

Did you see the alleged "real text" for the speech?? There is the idiot. It sounds so bad, that it almost seems the threw it together after he made his statement.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I know plenty of people who served in the armed forces (including my dad, USMC 1970-74, wasn't drafted and went on his own), who are very smart. I think the structure appeals to some of them, and some of them looked at it as a leg up towards a specific career, usually medical or engineering related. It was wrong for Kerry to even joke about the intelligence of servicemen/women is general.

On another token, I've known a number of people who in hindsight felt they were suckered into joining the national guard, and they felt like most of the people in there with them were imbiciles and criminals. I don't want to insinuate that this is the case with all guardsmen/women, but I personally have yet to meet someone who was in it who didn't feel that way.

But Kerry's comments don't reflect how all dems feel, and I really hope it doesn't sway anyone away from voting dem. Bush and his posse just like to clammer on to anything anyone says that could be viewed as an insult towards the troops, when he is commiting the biggest insult against the troops by sending them off to be killed based on his own lies, and controlling the propaganda they have access to, so the majority of them still believe Saddam had something to do with 9-11.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I do believe he was trying to make a joke while bashing Bush and his Iraq policy. That said, he's certainly a bonehead. When your own party calls for you to apologize, you've really stepped in it...

I'll be so glad when these elections are over.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Moderator note:
    People, we've been done this road before - stick to the questions asked by the OP: do you think Kerry should apologize? Do you think this will have any affect on the upcoming races?. Statements like "yes, but Bush is still a wanker" just start the same old vicious cycle of crap throwing from both sides. We don't need that.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Both Kerry and Bush should apologize and they should hold a joint press confrence to do so.
    I agree! Kerry was speaking from his own experience which was Vietnam where those that didn't go to college went to war. That policy no longer applies to the current conflict. Bush has also been using the wrong analogies of Nazi appeasement and Islamic facism when discribing the "war on terrorism". That type rhetoric has made additional enemies of the US. Neither man seems to have a true understanding of current conflict. It is neither Vietnam nor WWII and the American people deserve leaders that know the difference.

Are you all so dumb? Kerry is nobody, a complete has-been. Who cares what he says? The indignation of republicans is wholy insincere. They just want to grab the headlines and tar the other side for a change.

Moderator note:
    I may agree with the content of your post, jaws, but was the "Are you all so dumb?" comment really needed? Something to ponder. - Mastiff (First mod comment!)
    Last edited by Mastiff; 01 Nov 2006 at 3:08 PM.

Politicians say stupid stuff all the time. As a Liberal Democrat and Veteran (USAF) I wish Kerry would just ahut-up and fade away. Since so many of the canadates running for office are Democrats I think that speaks for itself. But, yes Kerry Blew it.

Sorry, In the last sentance I ment to say Since so many of the canadates that are Democrates and are also Veterans that speaks for itself. Sorry I should proof read First.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 01 Nov 2006 at 1:18 PM. Reason: double reply

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    He should absolutely apologize. No matter what his intent was, it came across as a shot at the military.

That said, I think it will have little effect on the midterms....if anything, it keeps Iraq as the focal point, which is not good for the GOP.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I think that John Kerry is psychologically sick and unable to be rational. I don't think he is capable of apologizing and meaning it. I'm not saying this to be mean.
    Last edited by gicarto; 01 Nov 2006 at 1:30 PM. Reason: added a thought

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by gicarto View post
    I think that John Kerry is psychologically sick and unable to be rational. I don't think he is capable of apologizing and meaning it. I'm not saying this to be mean.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. This is obvioulsy having some effect on the elections, his appearances are getting yanked left and right.

Does this man not realize you need a college degree to be Commissioned in the US military? In 99% of all cases.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    That statement is offensive enough to certainly warrant an apology--you don't call soldiers stupid, whether you are joking or not. Many of the smartest people I've met have been military at some point. However, I'd question the authenticity of his apology (as I would any politician apologizing for a statement similar to this). An apology at this point would be more about saving face for himself and the party than for the soldiers serving.

There is a reason politicians don't get invitations to the Improv... Leave the jokes to the people that do it for a living.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2004
    That was a really stupid thing for him to say. He should apologize and it will hurt democrats. I believe that he mispoke.

That said- anyone who thinks Kerry hates the military or has no respect for the military is an idiot. He served in the military.

Kerry is pretty worthless though. Jaws comment is spot on. Who cares what he says? The fact that republicans are using his comments to portray the democratic party is disgusting.

It would be like using Foley's pedophilia tendencies to say that all republicans are pedophiles. So I suppose that any republican who says that Kerry's comments show the democrats don't respect the military is probably therefore a child molester
    Last edited by imaplanner; 01 Nov 2006 at 3:16 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    What a moronic comment. I agree with those that say he is incapable of making an apology and meaning it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    That said- anyone who thinks Kerry hates the military or has no respect for the military is an idiot. He served in the military.
    Kerry hates the military and has no respect for the military. This was proven in 1972 when he made up stories about war crimes, and was his disdain was further proven with his statements yesterday.

The fact that he served in the military means nothing, and proves no allegiance.
    Jerry Garcia was in the Army. He didnt like it.

http://www.620wtmj.com/images/upload...1101105508.JPG

Moderator note:
    Leeched Image changed to a URL.

Please, do not hotlink images on Cyburbia, unless it is on the list of hotlink friendly sites.

Please see the Cyburbia Rules on Images.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 01 Nov 2006 at 4:10 PM.

Quote Originally posted by dobopoq View post
    This is why our politicians lie. Whenever any of them speak the truth, everyone cries bloody murder. People would rather that inconvenient or unpleasant truths be smoothed over, distorted, reversed or omitted altogether. Yes tact is also important, but sooner or later tactfulness becomes a deceit which reality is prone to dislodge.
    Dobopoq is right on here. I don't think Kerry has anything to apologize for, as bad-mouthing the military is/was not his intent. There is truth to what Kerry said, as any educated person would not "sign up" in this day and time to knowingly (or inevitably) get shipped overseas to fight a war for who-knows-what (oil). Because of this, I think his point regarding uneducated troops is fairly accurate. I think he is pis*ed that Bush has made the military an undesirable and unwanted career choice thru his international "interventions" and otherwise world policing efforts.
    Is "Stuck in Iraq" way off-base??? Do any troops over there know when they're coming back??? NO, hence they're "stuck".
    Would you suggest/recommend your son/daughter go into the military as a career move?? Not me. Fighting for freedom is one thing.....fighting for ??? is another....
    Last edited by ssnyderjr; 01 Nov 2006 at 4:35 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr View post
    There is truth to what Kerry said, as any educated person would not "sign up" in this day and time to

Is this a poor attempt at a joke?

Please then, explain to me why thousands and thousands apply every year to our Nation's military academies.

Why, is it hard as hell to become a Commissioned Officer in this Nation's military? You do need to be edumucated, and have one of them there college paper thingies.

You are so far off base with that statement it is ridiculous. It is this pompous attitude that makes Kerry look like an ass, and it is doing the same for you as well.

BTW...sorry bout the picture thing.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yes....

He should......he lost it (even more) after the election......
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Its not that hard to become a commissioned officer. Being in the military does not make one a better President. People have a right to like or dislike the military and what its mission is. I believe that is what I served for .... that is so everybody has a right to say what is on there mind whitout being called unpatriotic or other names. Long live the opposition!

The reality is that the requirements for the military are minimal:

What are the minimum educational requirements to enlist in the Military?
    http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjo...vabminimum.htm
    Success in any branch of the Military depends on a good education, and a high school diploma is most desirable. Candidates with a GED can enlist, but some services may limit opportunities. It is very difficult to be considered a serious candidate without either a high school diploma or accepted alternative credential.

Furthermore, why is recruiting down (http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0622-27.htm) ? Enlistment bonuses up to $20k from $6k....and 50% ($10,000) up-front ( http://www.military.com/Recruiting/C...1 )......Maybe because its not as attractive of a career as it once was.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 6:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 9:38 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last post: 17 Apr 2008, 1:03 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last post: 02 Feb 2005, 5:10 PM