Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Veterans Day Weekend

Registered
    Aug 2001

Veterans Day Weekend

Next weekend is a three day weekend in the States with most of us getting Friday off. Anybody have plans for the long weekend? Me? I'm off to central Florida to visit a friend.

Thanks, Vets.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Duh. Disney, maybe the beach, brunch at Mom's club...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Duh. Disney, maybe the beach, brunch at Mom's club...
    With anybody I know?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    No, I do not have Veteran's Day off.
    Last edited by JNA; 03 Nov 2006 at 12:09 AM.

Registered
    May 2004
    Assuming the weather cooperates and snows a bit between now and then I may go skiing.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i'll be heading down to the NY/NJ metro area to live it up with friends in NJ and then coo over a baby in LI.

should be a couple of days.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Bah....two papers due quickly....one 18 pager on the origins of the 96 Welfare Reform Act and a 30 pager that has yet to even be started
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Remembrance Day falls on a Saturday this year, so no long weekend for us government pencil pushers.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    No day off for us just the same pile of paper to push along to Stan
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    This vet will be working as usual

Registered
    Feb 2004
    For some reason I seem to be getting a lot of piles of paper sent to me. I wonder why?

As far as Veteran's day plans, let's see... I'll probably just walk around feeling imbued with a high degree of patriotic fervor all day.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Assuming the weather cooperates and snows a bit between now and then I may go skiing.
    This may be on the docket for me as well.

Of course, the next day I have to drive to Colorado Springs for the Air Force/Notre Dame (sweet!) football game, and then a birthday dinner with my folks in Denver.

I would trade the day off with a vet that has to work. (Thanks to guys like Jeff, eG, Maister, and all other Cyburbian Vets as well as all vets in general)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Probably hangout at home, do the weekend chores, then meet the wife downtown, go to dinner and then probably go to Second City for a show.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I've got to work it. Wisconsin is stingy with the holidays. But my husband gets it off, and I may use some comp time and take it off too. We haven't been back in iowa to visit family for awhile.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    This vet will be working as usual

That sucks. .

Registered
    Aug 2002
    It's that time already? Oh great, it's time for my spouse's annual kvetch-fest about the fact that he's a veteran and doesn't get the day off...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ahhh.....

I'll be heading to the Florida Panhandle for a little R&R in a home I rented from Rumpy.....he says it has a pool and plenty of complementary wine...... I can't wait.... In fact Rumpy has suggested that we throw the biggest party the world has EVER seen at this rental home.......oh and I don't need to pay a security deposit or cleaning fee at all......the only payment required was a case of scotch, a subscription to Hustler magazine, 3 qts of baby oil and building materials for a new desk fort......man what a deal

Seriously.....a trip to the Grand Canyon may be in order.....

Crud, this would have been THE BEST 3,000th post......
    Last edited by The One; 03 Nov 2006 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Insane in the Membrane.....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Mar 2004
    there is a Veterans day in November?

My agency is not real liberal when it comes to holidays, though they are with days off!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'll be working, for the first time in a few years. Previous employers gave the day off!

I don't have much vacation time (used it all up in one fell swoop - 2 weeks in Europe!!) so I'll be hunkered down at my desk for the rest of the year. I'll tip a cold one in honor and memory of all the veterans!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2000
    We've got Friday off. I'm going with my brother, son and oldest nephew to the K-State - U of Texas game. My brother graduated from UT and I graduated from K-State. This year we are sitting in the UT sections. JOY, JOY !!!! I'll also be attending a vet memorial service at the Elks Club.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I'll be heading to the Florida Panhandle for a little R&R in a home I rented from Rumpy.....he says it has a pool and plenty of complementary wine...... I can't wait.... In fact Rumpy has suggested that we throw the biggest party the world has EVER seen at this rental home.......oh and I don't need to pay a security deposit or cleaning fee at all......the only payment required was a case of scotch, a subscription to Hustler magazine, 3 qts of baby oil and building materials for a new desk fort......man what a deal

Seriously.....a trip to the Grand Canyon may be in order.....

Crud, this would have been THE BEST 3,000th post......
    Off-topic:
    Post of the week....man you're bad for bladder control.

We don't get it off either. We get Tuesday off (election day), but that's it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I'll be heading to the Florida Panhandle for a little R&R in a home I rented from Rumpy.....he says it has a pool and plenty of complementary wine...... I can't wait.... In fact Rumpy has suggested that we throw the biggest party the world has EVER seen at this rental home.......oh and I don't need to pay a security deposit or cleaning fee at all......the only payment required was a case of scotch, a subscription to Hustler magazine, 3 qts of baby oil and building materials for a new desk fort......man what a deal.....
    Just make sure you get into to the collection of wine that is 1980 or older.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Off-topic:
    Post of the week....man you're bad for bladder control.
    Looks like somebody needs depends. How old are you now?.........
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2002

Vets Day

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I'll tip a cold one in honor and memory of all the veterans!
    You've got the right idea.
    I have the day off but no plans.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I'll call my dad and thank him. Then I will probably do laundry and start packing for the Brownfield Conference in Boston.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Veterans' Day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Nov 2013, 10:13 AM
  2. Thank You Veterans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Nov 2012, 1:08 PM
  3. Veterans' Day