Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Moving Thread

Registered
    Jul 2003

The Moving Thread

We live in a mobile society, so I bet I am not the only one here who has recently moved and surely won't be the last person to move. So maybe this is a thread topic that wil get more interest than some of my pure bombs.

My move was totally normal: in spite of arranging to have everything hooked up the day I moved, I was without a phone or internet service for nearly a week and we still don't have cable tv. This allowed me catch up on my old hobby of playing SimCity (which explains the update in that other thread, no?).

I am really enjoying my new apartment. And new car. And stuff. And I have my first ever full-time paid job. I feel so "normal". How weird.

How about y'all?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    when we moved from Massachusetts to Maine, we put our stuff in storage because we were moving into a furnished house and we would be looking for a new house - when we got ready for the movers to come, we spent 2 weeks throwing stuff out, I thought I had done a pretty good "cleansing" of junk -

fast forward to 2 years later when we unpack into our current home and we look at this stuff and think "why did we keep this I paid to store this?" -

so advice time: if you are going to put things into storage, calculate what you are paying for the storage by month and decide if its cheaper to just sell the stuff and buy new and just store stuff that has more emotional meaning

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My last move did not go well. We made arrangements to rent, but when we got to the house found that many of the promised repairs had not been completed. It had not even been cleaned. After a couple more days of finding serious electrical problems, plumbing problems, and more, we moved out. The second place has worked well for us.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    I feel so "normal". How weird.
    Don't fool yourself. You are still a freak!!!!!

Moving? The first thing I see is a pile of discarded "things" on the curb as you leave. It never ceases to amaze me how much crap from Wal-Mart people compile and discard when they move. If it's not worth taking with you... why get it in the first place. HMMMM

My last move (and I've done plenty of it) was 3 years ago to my current City. I don't plan on leaving any time soon.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Gearing up for a move here. I really hate moving, but I am not stressing too much over this one (yet), I think because I am more excited than worried about this one.

We are slowly going through our stuff - we don't have a lot of extra crap to begin with so it shouldn't be too hard to get things down to a manageable level.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Moving... done that a time or two.

The Upper Peninsula to Reading PA was the longest move and was a bit scary because I did not sign the rental lease until 3 hours before my furniture was scheduled to arrive... (I had been out there for 4 days already)

The move back to Michigan was not too bad. U-Haul truck with a car hauling trailer... but I left during that hurricane a few years back... Not cool.

Recent move from Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids sucked because it was two U-Haul trailers full of stuff and the Condo was not completely finished yet.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i've moved 6 times in the past six years, with 2 years the longest time inbetween moves. the last move when fine, but expensive and could've been even more expensive. at least i splurged and had a moving company drive my stuff. we did the loading and unloading. so i didn't have to stress about driving over 1,200 miles, with two cats, and a uhaul pulling a trailer with a car on it .

i realize i'm going to have to move one or two more times in the next few years. ugh. but i hope after that i'll be able to stay in one place for more than two years.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    My last move went well. I moved from SW Michigan to DC. I was not taking much so I rented a small truck but the rental place decided to do me a favor and upgrade me from a 12ft truck to a 16ft truck. Although I appreciated it, I did not need the extra space.

Moving always takes twice as long and costs twice as much as you think.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We have relatively little 'extra' stuff, so moving isn't that hard.

Though we have lots of books and large(ish) quality furniture and can be a bear to move at the last 2 places we've lived.

for our next move, I will definiately hire some professional movers for the furniture.

I not sure we will be able to get our couch out of the apt. We barely got it in.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Sage advice.....hey that's supposed to be my schtick!

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    when we moved from Massachusetts to Maine, we put our stuff in storage because we were moving into a furnished house and we would be looking for a new house - when we got ready for the movers to come, we spent 2 weeks throwing stuff out, I thought I had done a pretty good "cleansing" of junk -

fast forward to 2 years later when we unpack into our current home and we look at this stuff and think "why did we keep this I paid to store this?" -

so advice time: if you are going to put things into storage, calculate what you are paying for the storage by month and decide if its cheaper to just sell the stuff and buy new and just store stuff that has more emotional meaning
    I'm in the middle of doing this right now......visited storage recently and thought.....why am I paying $80 a month to store this crap??? Waiting for all the "old folks" to get into town before doing a yard sale
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    May 2004
    I've moved 3 times in the last six years. Moving is such a pain. And yet somehow I end up with more stuff everytime I move - it seems like it shuold be the opposite

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Our last move was more than five years ago. We only had to travel a few miles. There was a lag between the closing on our new house and the closing on the sale of our old house which allowed us to bring our possessions to the new place bit by bit. We saved the furniture for the last day, renting a U-Haul and getting some friends to help. Naturally, we couldn't get our queen-sized box spring up the stairs, so we had to run out and buy one of those box springs that comes in sections.

At one time we considered moving to Maine. The idea of moving to another state, and packing up everything and moving it all at once, seems so overwhelming. I moved a lot while growing up because I attended boarding school, and then college and grad school, and had to transport my stuff at the beginning and end of every school year (real fun when your family doesn't have a car!). As an adult, I definitely prefer staying in one place for awhile... though I can't seem to break the habit of saving all our packing boxes in the attic!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    snip As an adult, I definitely prefer staying in one place for awhile... though I can't seem to break the habit of saving all our packing boxes in the attic!
    heh. i have to make sure the places i move into have enough closet space for my clothes and my moving boxes.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I've moved twice in the last year, and before that averaged once a year. But this last move was into our new house, so we'll finally be staying put for a few years!

After seeing and doing several moves, I think the best way to go is to pack it yourself, but have professionals load and unload the truck. If it's a cross-country move, let them drive the truck, too. But when it's across town, do the driving yourself.

You should also factor in at least 5 extra boxes than what you think you'll need, and an extra day at the end to recover from the stress and physical side effects of unpacking. A friend of mine once said, that moving is an unnatural experience. I can't disagree with that.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie View post
    Don't fool yourself. You are still a freak!!!!!
    SuperFreak to be exact.

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    A friend of mine once said, that moving is an unnatural experience. I can't disagree with that.
    Funny, I kind of like to move around. I hate traveling and don't understand that whole "vacation" thing. What can you see in a week or two? I liked doing the military family thing and staying someplace for a while and learning about it for a couple of years or so. What I didn't like was that my husband was a packrat. However, since I had almost nothing to move, this was the easiest move EVER.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I moved from SC to NJ two months ago....but most of y'all already knew that. What was hard for me was moving from a three bedroom house to a very small two bedroom apartment because much of my furniture in the house would not fit into the apartment. Essentially, I borrowed the in-laws van and packed it with everything that could be moved in boxes in mid-August and drove it up here and unpacked it. Final trip up my car was crammed with everything I could fit into it and I hooked up with someone moving from Atlanta to Boston to pick up my daughter's furniture and a sofa and bookcase and paid him $150. It wasn't too bad as moves were concerned. We will be here for 2 years.

The worst one was from Oregon to South Carolina. It took 10 days for my stuff to arrive and the movers were kind enough to put every box packed into the dining room and of course all of the kitchen stuff was in the back corner of the room and it took a week to get it unearthed. Next place I move to will be the last at least until my daughter goes to school, then I want to go live in a small town and be a hermit.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    and another thing..

make sure you pack - I mean pack like it's going on a speeding UPS truck driven by a guy coated in tattoos, really -

one time, in Boston, I was only moving a few blocks away to a better apartment in Brighton and I decided to be slick and not pack and walk everything over or put it in my fiancee's hatchback - it took forever and those were the days when I could move in contractor bags - so at least use contractor bags, okay - my friends that helped that day are still pissed 20 years later

another thought - this reminds me how I got all emotional when we purchased a washing machine - I said honey, we can't move our stuff in the Subaru anymore - I felt so grown up - pretty funny

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I need to burn some of the stuff I've collected from moving 5 or so times over the last 9 years.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Gulp!

Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    I need to burn some of the stuff I've collected from moving 5 or so times over the last 9 years.
    Man, what a vagabond, a derelict, a serious wanderer...... I mean a real nomad and sojourn that makes a bum or hobo look respectable....

er......wait a minute....I've moved three times in 6 years......DOH!!!

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am the queen of moving... I have moved something like 18 or 19 times since I went away to university. Although less frequent in the last 10 years, my moves have been long ones. I've had as many problems, as relatively painless moves... and no matter what I've done, something's gone wrong. When I moved from California to Washington, I used a U haul truck that broke down. I've also had a ryder truck break down.

When I moved up here I think I used U haul again, but I was really picky on the truck I'd take. They ended up giving me this huge truck I didn't need but they didn't want to deal with me anymore (wouldn't take their 'older' models because I was afraid of them breaking down climbing the Rockies in December). On that move we crossed the US/Canada border around 2:00 a.m. and our customs/immigration officer must have been half asleep. He gave me all the wrong copies of the various forms, and I ended up tied up in a bureaucratic mess for months trying to get my vehicle registered up here. We also got stuck in snowstorm in Blue River B.C. and when I woke up there was literally four feet of snow on the ground. It took us hours to dig our U haul out of the motel parking lot. But boy that was a beautiful trip to Edmonton... Jasper National Park was full of snow and we saw a bunch of wildlife while crossing the Rockies.

The last move I decided I had dealt enough with packing and moving my stuff. So I paid movers to move my belongings. Everything looked okay at first, but later we found that they had scratched up some of our belongings including some antique furniture that we don't want to refinish.

So I think my new strategy for the next decade or so is going to be 'take root, travel a lot'. I'm not going to move around anymore... to much of a headache. But I need to get away from the flatlands here every once in awhile to stay sane.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I moved into my current house 9 years ago this week. It wasn't bad. At my former home, the ex- had made off with most of the furniture, all personal records, and a lot of my stuff. What was left, I put in storage over here. Some of the planners I worked with over there came over and helped my brother and me load it all into a U-Haul, then planners over here helped unload it all into storage.

I finally moved into my home months later, and again, co-workers picked up the U-Haul and moved me in, so it was pretty painless.

(I think my little brother has been drafted into helping me move maybe 7 times... )

Now I've accumulated way too much stuff and am trying to weed some of it out here and there. My son outgrowing many of his toys was a big help!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have moved around quite a bit but most of it within Missouri. My biggest move was to Wyoming from Missouri. My ex and I packed everything into a u-haul, put his car on the back and I drove my son and I in my car and he drove the truck. The drive took about a day and 1/2 or so. We got there ready to move into the place I had rented (online) and it was horrible. The EX said there was no way he was moving our son in there, so we stayed in a hotel for a week with everything we owned in a truck. Jacob was 2 at the time and thought it was pretty fun. I on the other had did not. We eventually found a place and I ended up moving back to STL about 6 months later.
    I may make one more move (into a smaller place) but for the most part I am through moving. Just the thought of packing my stuff again makes my stomach hurt.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 24 Aug 2008, 4:24 PM
  2. Moving to Tucson
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 May 2008, 5:23 PM
  3. Moving??
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 22 Jun 2006, 10:31 AM