Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wrong Song or Wrong Singer?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Wrong Song or Wrong Singer?

Maister brought up an interesting point regarding music. Some people and some songs deserve to be in the RRHOF, some should not have ever been recorded.

Some songs were sung by what could have been very talented people, but the song it self destroyed there career. Then there are some song writers who have created phenomenal songs and are true musical poets, but they can’t sing a note to save their lives.

Songs such as “I’m too sexy” “I’m a Barbie Girl” (Z-man’s favorite), and “The Macarena” are the thorn in some performers sides. They may be able to do another song better than anyone else, yet their legacy will be judge on something that destroyed there career.

On the flip side,

Some songs are just sung by the wrong person, but are phenomenal songs. The one name that comes to mind the most is Bob Dylan. This guy sucks at singing... but his words are so good, that we overlook it.

What are some other examples that you can think of? What do you think of REM or the Beastie Boys?
    Last edited by michaelskis; 03 Nov 2006 at 3:02 PM.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    .... The one name that comes to mind the most is Bob Dillon. This guy sucks at singing... but his words are so good, that we overlook it....
    I hear ya. Bob Dylan can't sing worth squat, either.
    ZING!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    “I’m a Barbie Girl” (Z-man’s favorite),
    Last time I tell you anything in confidence, ass...

What do you think of [snip]the Beastie Boys?
    I F**^ing HATE the Beastie Boys. Pathetic excuses for "artist" if you ask me.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post

Booooooooo!!!!

Beastie Boys are incredible artists IMO.

REM sucks though.

Bob Dylan is a great example. He has some incredible songs and his voice is strange enough to be sort of cool. All along the Watchtower is a Bob Dylan song but clearly was done much much better by someone else.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    WTF? You really are crazy. The Beasties are great. I think any artist that spans generations is good. I think one of the first albums I ever bought was the Beastie Boys. I grabbed my 12 year old cousins ipod when he was in town over the summer and sure enough, he had the beastie boys on there.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Licensed to Ill is still selling tons, and it is 20 years old. Beastie Boys are great. I don't care how depressed or lazy I may get, I am always happy when I listen to their songs, whether it is their old stuff or their newer stuff. It is all so fun to dance to. Man, I wish I had one of their CDs here at work now. As for REM, their older stuff (especially songs on Document and Green) are wonderful, but by the time they got to Automatic for the People I wasn't loving them as much anymore. They still totally deserve to be in the RRHOF, though.

Back to the original discussion... I love Van Morrison songs, but I really hate his voice.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    Licensed to Ill is still selling tons, and it is 20 years old. Beastie Boys are great.
    Licence to Ill is awesome, the album actually has very little "rap" but more lines over loops and some lyric-less tunes. I credit the Beasties with a lot paving the way for many other rap artists and MCs and really bringing rap to white suburbia.

FWIW:
    Licence to Ill 9 times Platinum
    All other Beastie Albums only 2 or 3 Times Platinum

Back on topic....

I'm usually not good at thinking of songs, especailly when I'm listening to others. But it's amazing when you hear about a song that was supposed to go to another group or some group that received a gift of singing a song that another group turned down, this happened a lot more in the 50s - 70s than now I'm sure.
    Last edited by Tide; 03 Nov 2006 at 4:35 PM.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    RE: Beastie Boys...

You're all out of it. I am not proud that they come from the USA.

Ducks, Runs...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Maybe not exactly the same thing, but yeah, it's funny how Leonard Bernstein wrote lots of 'serious' classical music over a lifetime, but will always be remembered for writing the score of "West Side Story"
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

As for REM, their older stuff (especially songs on Document and Green) are wonderful, but by the time they got to Automatic for the People I wasn't loving them as much anymore. They still totally deserve to be in the RRHOF, though.
    Thanks cch- I was trying to remember a couple of their earlier records. AftP was too commercial.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004

Back to the original discussion... I love Van Morrison songs, but I really hate his voice.

Really? I love his voice. I think he has one of the greatest voices for an artist in the last 30 years.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Kris Kristopherson isn't a very good singer, but he is an excellent song writer. I always find it interesting to play multiple versions of the same songs. There are different interpretations and deliveries that reflect the performers talents. For instance, Kris Kristoperhsons recording of Bobbi McGee, starts out with him saying that "it's a country song", but of course Janis Joplin made it popular as a rock song before Kris recorded it. The song was written by Kris but Janis made it come alive.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I know it was kind of the point, but I find listening to the Sex Pistols kind of painful. I get the importance of the lyrics, and the noise, but Johnny Rotten is a terrible singer.

What? Were you alive in 1987? I remember how big of a deal License to Ill was. Regardless of the fact that I had no idea what it was the Beasties were rapping/singing/talking about. And Check Your Head still gets into my CD rotation.

Now let me tell you what I think about Geddy Lee.

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    REM sucks though.
    It doesn't take too long to get tired of Michael Stip's whining, but I'd say that Murmur and Life's Rich Pageant are two of the best, and dare I say important, alternative rock albums of the 1980's.
    Last edited by biscuit; 03 Nov 2006 at 4:50 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie View post
    Kris Kristopherson isn't a very good singer, but he is an excellent song writer. I always find it interesting to play multiple versions of the same songs. There are different interpretations and deliveries that reflect the performers talents. For instance, Kris Kristoperhsons recording of Bobbi McGee, starts out with him saying that "it's a country song", but of course Janis Joplin made it popular as a rock song before Kris recorded it. The song was written by Kris but Janis made it come alive.
    Kris is a better actor than a signer, but he is a better writer than an actor. (and he is a damn good actor)

I think that there are a lot of these cases out there. The country group Big n' Rich are producers/ song writers who have behind some of the best new country acts, yet as singers, I am not impressed.

Then there are people like Justin Timberlake who suck at both.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Joe Cocker and Randy Newman should have never sung anything, anywhere, anytime.

Beastie's are the truly innovative!! Though some of the albums after Licence to Ill are truly only one-hit wonder per album, you have to dig the sound.

Though I have to say the group "Disturbed" who redid the mid-80's song Land of Confusion did a kick-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass job of it. MAYBE they should have sung it first?
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    What? Were you alive in 1987? I remember how big of a deal License to Ill was. Regardless of the fact that I had no idea what it was the Beasties were rapping/singing/talking about. And Check Your Head still gets into my CD rotation.

Now let me tell you what I think about Geddy Lee.
    In 1987 I was turning 6 years old. I was raised in the suburbs of Denver where many of the people around me knew of this "revolution" called the Beastie Boys. I was not allowed to watch MTV while growing up, so I was extremely limited in what I was exposed to.

I know what many, including my furute wife, think of Geddy Lee. His voice gets to me too. And I was wondering when Rush would take a shot via the comments I have been making.

Listen to what you want, guys.

-Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Joe Cocker and Randy Newman should have never sung anything, anywhere, anytime.
    But John Belushi singing Joe Cocker is priceless

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    What a great video.....Belushi looking more like Cocker than Cocker.

Katie is 15 years younger than this Bear so she really doesn't know much about Joe Cocker's legendary stage performances. I will have to pull out my VHS tape of Woodstock and show her Joe Cocker's bit.
    _____

Bob Dylan's voice has always been a turn-off to many. I grew up listening to Dylan, and as a poet and a lover of almost all types of music, am a big Dylan fan. In my personal Top 5 of all time is Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone".
    _____

I have a good-sized collection of Van Morrison albums. His voice has always been great.....and you can really hear the changes slide-in over the years. Listen to Van Morrison's early work with Them (a rock and roll group). Then grab a recent jazz-oriented Morrison CD. World of difference, but both oh so good.
    _____

I have a Frank Sinatra box set from the 1940's, doing vocal work with some big bands. Comparing that early Sinatra to his later works, such as early-1960's "Songs For Swinging Lovers" is interesting. Is that the same guy?
    _____

I love the lyrics from REM. Their voices fit the lyrics. Now if I can just figure out what the hexx they are singing about.....

Bear Losing His Religion
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    .... Randy Newman should have never sung anything, anywhere, anytime.
    "Short People" must be influencing your opinion.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post

Bear Losing His Religion
    Losing your religion is a southernism for losing your temper.

I got into R.E.M. in high school when a friend who moved to my little po dunk town introduced me to their music. Then "This one goes out to the one I love" came out and everyone started to listen to R.E.M., which lasted about two months and then they all went back to Helix and Hank Jr.

I pretty much tuned them out after the song "Happy shiny people".
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    But John Belushi singing Joe Cocker is priceless
    Hey, thanks for that. Belushi was a genius. I also recall when Belushi and Cocker sang side-by-side on SNL. Also memorable.
    Last edited by otterpop; 06 Nov 2006 at 11:46 AM.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

On Randy Newman...

Left Foot... Right Foot...Left Foot... Right Foot...Left Foot... Right Foot...Left Foot... Right Foot...Left Foot... Right Foot...Left Foot... Right Foot...Left Foot... Right Foot...Left Foot... Right Foot...Left Foot... Right Foot

Shameless Family Guy reference...

-Peart

Registered
    Oct 2000
    One of my favorite song lyrics of all time is when Mike D threatens: "I'll stir fry you in my WOK!" I'll admit to being the suburban mom in the mini-van with Beastie Boys cranked when Intergalatic Planetary comes on the radio, rocking out hard core.

Carol King is another example of a phenomenal song writer and music legend, with an "eh" voice.

and I hate Axl Rose's voice.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Two guys who can really work to the best effect marginal singing voices are Willie Nelson and John Prine. Neither is a great singer, but both have developed singing styling that maximizes their unique vocal talents.

And both are incredible songwriters.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The wrong day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Jul 2010, 7:41 PM
  2. What's wrong with my car?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 05 Jan 2008, 6:28 PM
  3. Is this wrong?