Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Secessionists of the world, unite!

Registered
    Apr 2006

Secessionists of the world, unite!

First North American Secessionist Convention was held in Vermont over the weekend so successionist from around the country could meet and share ideas.

Here is a story from the Philly Enquirer

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/n...nquirer_nation

So what do you think? Is this a movement that could gain traction in the US? Will these people be able to start the debate that secession is an illegal act? Were you aware of such movements in New England, Alaska, the South, Vermont, etc?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Not quite becoming a separate county, but Michigan’s Upper Peninsula has some people who want to see the UP become the 51st State called “Superior” or become part of Wisconsin.

Beyond that does the Native American’s have their own Nation?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Not quite becoming a separate county, but Michigan’s Upper Peninsula has some people who want to see the UP become the 51st State called “Superior” or become part of Wisconsin.

A state named Superior. I kind of like that. Some political gasbag saying, "I yield my remaining time to the esteemed senior senator from Superior."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    A state named Superior. I kind of like that. Some political gasbag saying, "I yield my remaining time to the esteemed senior senator from Superior."
    Senators do not "yield time". Once a senator has the floor, he or she can speak as long as they want, so long as they keep talking and remain standing. If a senator is speaking for a long time in order to hold up legislative business, that is called a filibuster. They can yield the floor, but there is no "time" to be yielded. That only occurs in the House of Representatives, where each speaker is granted a certain amount of time by the Speaker of the House or presiding officer.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Sort of. All Native American reservation land is held in Federal Trust, and Federal law still regulates the political and economic activity on reservation land.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Senators do not "yield time". Once a senator has the floor, he or she can speak as long as they want, so long as they keep talking and remain standing. If a senator is speaking for a long time in order to hold up legislative business, that is called a filibuster. They can yield the floor, but there is no "time" to be yielded. That only occurs in the House of Representatives, where each speaker is granted a certain amount of time by the Speaker of the House or presiding officer.
    ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................snarf....................snort.........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................huh.............what's that......................you woke me up to tell me that!!!! GET OUT OF HERE!!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snort................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2002
    The Northern part of Va has talked for years about breaking off from the rest of Va but we sure as heck dont want to become part of DC
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    ..but we sure as heck dont want to become part of DC
    Or, surely, part of West Virginia.

(sorry WV)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    The Northern part of Va has talked for years about breaking off from the rest of Va but we sure as heck dont want to become part of DC
    With the rise of influence in VA politics by the northern counties I would guess that the rest of VA would want to split from NoVA.

It seems that the rest of DC would welcome NoVA with open arms...especially if you brought your Congressional representation with you.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2000
    There was a brief secessionist movement in southwestern Kansas back in the late 1980's early 1990's. As I recall they wanted to break away from Kansas and convince parts of Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas and New Mexico to join them in creating a new state. They felt that Topeka was out of touch.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Why do you think those Black Helicopters fly around my house?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004

GO for it.....

Quote Originally posted by Budgie View post
    There was a brief secessionist movement in southwestern Kansas back in the late 1980's early 1990's. As I recall they wanted to break away from Kansas and convince parts of Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas and New Mexico to join them in creating a new state. They felt that Topeka was out of touch.
    Too bad that didn't work out A new state that includes the panhandle of Oklahoma and Springfiled Colorado...... I think its safe to say that tourism wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list of reasons for visiting that place...... Alex, I'll take obscure new states that no one wants to visit for $1,000.......

How about states that should be combined???

N. Dakota and S. Dakota.......I mean really.....come on.....
    New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine......might add up to one "real" state
    Florida and Cuba.....er Puerto Rico......oh yeah.....maybe in the future.....
    Alabama and Mississippi......just stands to reason on this one.....
    Wisconsin needs to take over the U.P......he he he.....standing back to see the sparks fly....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Alabama and Mississippi......just stands to reason on this one.....
    Actually, Lower Alabama should be annexed by Alabama proper. What say you of Lower Alabama?
    Last edited by Budgie; 06 Nov 2006 at 6:56 PM.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The residents of Key West have been threatening to secede for years. "The Conch Republic", I believe it would be called....

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Test response.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Another test response.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Yet another test response.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Heck, while they're at it they should invite all 30+M of their northern backyard neighbors to their little shindig. Looks to me these days like most of Canada is thinking about separating from itself.

<ducks!>

Mike

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    One of my favorites -

The Kingdom of Breckenridge, Colorado.
    The story goes that it was left out of the Louisiana Purchase and Texas Annexation, bestowing upon itself the title of “Kingdom.”

http://www.experience-colorado.com/a...ies.html?id=29
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2004
    We wish to force Washington DC to secede from the Union.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    A state named Superior. I kind of like that.
    http://superiorland.blogspot.com/

Here is some information on it. I don't think that it will ever happen, but it is funny to talk about.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Herbivores of the world unite
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 03 Jan 2011, 8:23 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last post: 26 May 2008, 8:48 PM
  3. New Planning Students Unite!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 19 Apr 2005, 2:14 PM