Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What style of architecture is this?

Registered
    Nov 2006

What style of architecture is this?

Can someone tell me what style of architecture is found on Acorn St. in Boston?
    I'm interested in finding a house similar to those elsewhere.

I would provide an image, but the forum will only allow me to if I post 5 messages first.

You can upload your image at http://imageshack.us and link to it.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    The forum won't allow me to link images until I post 5 messages. If you google "acorn street, boston", you will get several photos of the buildings there.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    If this is it

http://www.ronsaari.com/stockImages/...cornStreet.php

It is domestic Georgian architecture (British 18th/early 19th-century classical style used in average brick houses.

Society Hill in Philly is full of this as is London (not always as pristine).

It's a style you can sell to 99% of people anywhere. quite practical and sturdy.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Errrrr......

CUBIST Maybe..............

Looks good, kind of reminds me of some areas in Frederick Maryland......
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Luca View post

It's a style you can sell to 99% of people anywhere. quite practical and sturdy.
    Except traffic engineers and elected officials (at least in 90% of the metros in the U.S.). Talking of course about the daring urbanism.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Don't forget the fire chiefs.

Registered
    Jul 2006

Federal style??

British influence " Federal style" town houses built in the late 1820's mostly made of red bricks. Prominent architect known for this is Cornelius Coolidge.
    Similar types of style are also found long Chestnut St. & Beacon St., but Acorn is the most picturesque.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Except traffic engineers and elected officials (at least in 90% of the metros in the U.S.). Talking of course about the daring urbanism.
    I'm sure you are right. But why would you let a traffic engineer decide what a city looks like? It's like letting plumber decide how your bathroom should look...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am finding myself mostly agreeing with Jess, in saying that it is Federal style. The fan light over the door and the twelve-over-twelve window lights are some characteristics of this. It is also fair to say that there is a mix of styes, with the Greek Revival pediment as an example. It would be much easier to make an assessment if we could see more of the facades. Unfortunately, the narrow passage prevents this. The buildings on one side or the other might be knocked down to improve sight lines and circulation.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I also have heard it called Federal style. The Beacon Hill area of Boston is full of streets and buildings like that.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Jess View post
    British influence " Federal style" town houses built in the late 1820's mostly made of red bricks. Prominent architect known for this is Cornelius Coolidge.
    Similar types of style are also found long Chestnut St. & Beacon St., but Acorn is the most picturesque.
    And, in fact, the buildings on Acorn Street were designed by Cornelius Coolidge himself, according to WalkBoston (PDF link):

Acorn Street – late 1820s. Perhaps Boston’s most picturesque appearance. Modest red brick Federal style town houses designed by Cornelius Coolidge for shopkeepers, artisans and the like border narrow, cobblestone-paved way. On the north side of the street are brick walls that enclose some of the “Hidden Gardens of Beacon Hill.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm sure you are right. But why would you let a traffic engineer decide what a city looks like? It's like letting plumber decide how your bathroom should look...
    Unfortunately planning for land use/urban design and transportation tend to take place in separate universes. In most local governments (albeit in generally less progressive zip codes) the traffic engineer is seen as the only legitimate expert on transportation.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Unfortunately planning for land use/urban design and transportation tend to take place in separate universes. In most local governments (albeit in generally less progressive zip codes) the traffic engineer is seen as the only legitimate expert on transportation.
    He is. What I'm saying is that, as with any expert, you tell them the outcome you want and they set it up for you. If your desired otucome is "cars driving unhindered at highway speeds while manitaning some safety" then they will strike down a quaint old lane and build limited-access thruways. If you tell them the desired outcome is "traffic able to move at no less than 5-15 MPH (ona verage) and safe at that speed but only subject to pedestrian requiremens" they will produce a different set of guidelines, presumably.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    He is. What I'm saying is that, as with any expert, you tell them the outcome you want and they set it up for you. If your desired otucome is "cars driving unhindered at highway speeds while manitaning some safety" then they will strike down a quaint old lane and build limited-access thruways. If you tell them the desired outcome is "traffic able to move at no less than 5-15 MPH (ona verage) and safe at that speed but only subject to pedestrian requiremens" they will produce a different set of guidelines, presumably.
    I completely agree. But it is always easier politically to widen roads than follow plans. It certainly not cheaper and results in crappy development but it is the path of least resistance for City Hall.

I completely agree. But it is always easier politically to widen roads than follow plans. It certainly not cheaper and results in crappy development but it is the path of least resistance for City Hall.
    Just dropping in to remind everyone that if they actually had to pay for the consequences of these decisions, they would make the economically sensible decisions instead of the politically convenient ones.

Registered
    Oct 2006
    Excellent point, Luca.

I think that is why most American cities look, on the outside, like plumbing networks that should be hidden behind the walls or underground.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Aug 2012, 11:03 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Jul 2007, 5:09 PM
  3. Favorite style?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 01 Jun 2007, 12:42 PM
  4. Describe your style
    Friday Afternoon Club