Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rigors of Private Planing Practice #15 : Firing a Client

Registered
    Aug 2001

Rigors of Private Planing Practice #15 : Firing a Client

We've never had to do it, but have any of you in private practice ever had to fire a dysfunctional client?

What techniques did you use to soften the blow - and preserve your reputation?

Registered
    Aug 2003
    um, dont understand the question, doesn't the planner/firm work for the client, not vice-versa?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cityscape Dreamer View post
    um, dont understand the question, doesn't the planner/firm work for the client, not vice-versa?
    YES, but when a client acts unethical, inappropriate, bombastic, *whatever the case*, some times it is in the best interest of the firm to severe the relationship.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    It is a tough thing but must be done at times. With the market booming, we have to concentrate our resources on our "A" clients. Troublesome clients, especially those who don't pay their bills promptly, have to get put aside. In the case of developers who want too much, I will not jeapordize my relationships with the city staff just to push one project through.

One out is "We're too busy to give your next project the attention it deserves, try Joe Blow's Planning Sweatshop".

Registered
    Aug 2002
    In all my years of consulting, I don't think I've never been in a situation where we actually severed the relationship with the client... That said, most contracts do allow for it, and where the client is doing something unethical or inappropriate, you'd certainly want to call them on it. I guess the question is whether other tactics can used to solve the problem with the client first. To maintain your reputation, you need to be professional about it and be able to succinctly describe the issues or problems driving the decision to end the relationship with the client, so it doesn't appear to be arbitrary.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Jul 2006, 1:01 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Jan 2005, 2:13 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 06 Jan 2005, 11:54 AM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last post: 21 May 2004, 9:44 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2004, 3:48 PM