Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wal-Mart architecture

Registered
    Nov 2005

Wal-Mart architecture

I have been trying diligently to acquire pictures of buildings where Wal-Mart has went a step above to give their community a building and a site plan where the citizens can be proud to call it a high quality big box. I have seen some out there, but it is difficult to come by. I wonder if there is a conspiracy by the big-box companies to keep the better looking buildings off the web so they do not have to keep those same standards.

Does anyone out there have any sites or pictures of Wal-Marts that would be worth examining in the case Wal-Mart (or any big box for that matter) would want to move into our community.

???

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2006
    If you can get a copy of one of Ed McMahon's Better Models for Development books, there are some great examples in there. If you can't find them, let me know and I can scan some of the pics in black and white.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    A Home Depot here in Calgary was recently built to a better standard architecturally than the typical big box to fit into the streetscape. PM me and I can perhaps give you some contact information on the architect.

I just had a look online, and I couldn't find anything mentioned about it -- maybe you're right about them keeping their light under a bushel!

Registered
    Jul 2005
    In the timewasting yet interesting spirit of The Confluence Project and other distributed cataloging efforts, it would be pretty cool to have a site with pics of all Wal-Marts worldwide.

I may try to get a few around here, there are several in the area that are nonstandard designs. Or at least upgraded standard

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I found a link to that Ed McMahon publication online: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/brc/gran...tterModels.pdf
    Start on page 104...

Registered
    Nov 2002

Window Dressing

Quote Originally posted by Mentos08 View post
    I have been trying diligently to acquire pictures of buildings where Wal-Mart has went a step above to give their community a building and a site plan where the citizens can be proud to call it a high quality big box. I have seen some out there, but it is difficult to come by. I wonder if there is a conspiracy by the big-box companies to keep the better looking buildings off the web so they do not have to keep those same standards.

Does anyone out there have any sites or pictures of Wal-Marts that would be worth examining in the case Wal-Mart (or any big box for that matter) would want to move into our community.

???
    My experience has been that the changes are almost always minor and seem larger than they are. For example, they may put a different cladding and some token second story "windows" over the big box, or some extra landscaping in the parking lot, or agree to structured parking when they really need it anyway to provide enough, etc.

Not to be cynical, I just think that most big boxes won't really change unless they just can't get a presence in a market without doing so. Walmart is one of the worst. Home Depot is close behind (although they do make some changes to the facade of their buildings and I have seen one with some relatively nice "wetlands" for stormwater retention...) Target is a little better.

Allendale, MI, has some examples where there actually is a second story on the buildings (some of them)...

http://www.heritagetownesquare.com

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Aug 2012, 11:03 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 May 2007, 3:06 PM
  3. Wal-Mart and NYC
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Mar 2007, 5:09 PM
  4. Wal-Mart supercenter architecture