Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Men's Basketball Thread 2006-2007

Registered
    Apr 2002

NCAA Men's Basketball Thread 2006-2007

NCAA men's basketball starts tonight. Pre-season rankings (for what they're worth) have perennial powerhouses like Florida, UNC, Kansas, UCLA, Ohio State, Georgetown, etc, near the top.

Which teams do you think look impressive this year? Which ones are overrated? What do you expect to see this year?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Watch out for K-State !!!!
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Go Memphis Tigers!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist View post
    NCAA men's basketball starts tonight. Pre-season rankings (for what they're worth) have perennial powerhouses like Florida, UNC, Kansas, UCLA, Ohio State, Georgetown, etc, near the top.

Which teams do you think look impressive this year? Which ones are overrated? What do you expect to see this year?

UNC and Kansas are always tough. If Georgetown still has that great center from last year that got them to the Great 8, they'll be tough too. Florida will do OK in their "football" conference, but not fare well in March. Word around here is that the OSU team is going to be rock solid with the best Freshman class in the country. We'll see.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm hoping that Syracuse will be looking better this year - if they only got rid of Boeheim after the 86 debacle! They so often choke at the very end, after they slowly reel you in as a fan - it's like being a Red Sox fan for me - I must be a glutton for punishment!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Florida will be tough to beat this year. Didn't they return everyone of off last years team?

I have no predictions on college basketball. I don't follow it much until the tournament.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    UPenn, nova, and Temple baby!!!

Cant wait, bought ESPN Full Court this year too.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I hope Boston College gets more respect this year as a great addition to the ACC. Even though they played for the ACC title game last year, I don't think they got much credit from the sports media.

I also hope Wisconsin does well in the Big 10, but it might be a tough year for them. People expect Ohio State to do pretty well.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by cololi View post
    Florida will be tough to beat this year. Didn't they return everyone of off last years team?
    Yes, they did. Gators will be good but no team has repeated since Duke (in the early '90s?).

I'm thinking that Cal will be making some noise this season.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    FLORIDA and DUKE in the final...see you in March
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Western Michigan University Broncos will take it all!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Praying for an tournament return for Oakland University's Golden Grizzlies...or Pioneers.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    UCLA - Georgetown final. As an alumnus of both I can't lose!

Registered
    Nov 2005

Western Michigan???

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Western Michigan University Broncos will take it all!
    This is quite a bold statement...who does Western Michigan have on their team that they could compete with the powerhouses from the Big Ten?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist View post
    I also hope Wisconsin does well in the Big 10, but it might be a tough year for them. People expect Ohio State to do pretty well.
    Wisconsin is going to wint the B10. They have the conference's best player (Alando Tucker), tons of veteran leadership and only lost one bit player from last year. And Bo Ryan always gets it done.

Final 4 dreams...
    Fighting congestion by widening roads is like fighting obesity by buying larger clothes.

Registered
    Dec 2001

College Hoops Thread 2006-2007

Anyone?

I was following OSU in the BCA tournament this weekend (Hooray for ESPN FC), they put on a clinic. They are going to be a force to reckon with once Ogden hits the court.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    Anyone?

I was following OSU in the BCA tournament this weekend (Hooray for ESPN FC), they put on a clinic. They are going to be a force to reckon with once Ogden hits the court.
    Moderator note:
    Merged with the existing 06-07 hoops thread.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2000
    KANSAS STATE will be a sweet 16 team.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Doh! Shoulda looked on Page 2. This shouldnt fall off.

Look for another sneek attakc from Nova. They've been written off by the media b/c they lost 3 starters to the NBA, but they really looked good this weekend, sure it was against "Northwood U" but still.

I can see OSU winning it all this year though.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Somewhere between hard left and hard libertarian
    Go Tarheels!!!!
    Jesse Ventura in 2012!

"Inside every small problem is a big one trying to get government funding"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Fordham +14 at Tennessee tonight. Thoughts?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie View post
    Watch out for K-State !!!!
    I've got tickets to see them open up against Ruters this Wednesday. It'll probably be the only game I see this year. I used to have season tickets but I just can't bare to watch this RU team this year. They lost their key shooter as a junior last year to the pros and noone is set to take his place.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'm going to 7 'Nova games this year, and every Philly Big 5 game. Cant wait.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I admit I have not had much time to keep up with sports as of late but I am a HEELS fan to the core
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think that Ohio State will be pretty good this year. Oden is the best freshman/big man in the country, and they are the fastest team out there, so who knows.

But if we are dreaming (i.e. Western Michigan) I will throw out there Ball State, since it is my alma mater. Only a couple years ago were they a pretty solid team. I mean who doesn't know Bonzi Wells?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2010-2011 College Basketball Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 28 Jan 2011, 9:56 AM
  2. The 2007 College Basketball Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 61
    Last post: 08 Apr 2008, 12:49 PM
  3. 2007 NCAA Tournament Pick 'Em