Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The results are in....

Registered
    Jan 2005

The results are in....

And it was a big night for Democrats. Republicans were routed all across the county in the House and currently the Senate hangs in the balance depending on the results of two razor-thin races in Va. and Mt.

Notable results:
    -George Bush Kissing Booth (I) defeats Ned Lamont (D) in Ct.
    -Tim Mahoney (D) narrowing defeats Joe Negron (R) in Fl. Negron fought an excellent campaign and nearly won despite the fact that Mark Foley's name was on the ballot.
    -McCaskill defeats Talent in the Mo. Senate race.
    -Deval Patrick (D) is elected as the Ma. Governor (he's black)
    -Arnold romps his opponent in Ca.
    -Santorum (R) gets hammered in Pa. Senate race
    -Lincoln Chaffee loses his R.I. Senate seat
    -Ohio goes big for the dems
    -Corker (R) defeats Ford (D) in Tn.
    -Ron Klein (D) defeats longtime incumbent Clay Shaw (R) in Florida House race

Of course there are the hundreds of other significant congressional races all across the country. So what's your take on how it all unfolded?

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Congratulations to the centrists, a couple liberals, and maybe half a dozen fiscal conservatives on their victory.

The fifty state strategy worked to get electable Democrats installed in some red states this year. I suspect it will not be a good year to be either a neo-con or a liberal anytime soon.

Pay as you go, victory is yours.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Frankly, I'm shocked at the tidal wave effect the Dem's national strategy had in NH.

We have 2 Dem congresspeople for the first time in decades.

The Dems won the state senate for only the 3rd time since 1911.

The Dems won the state house of reps for the first time since 1920.

Our Dem Governor was reelected with a record 3/4 of the vote.

I'm just amazed at how much impact the national scene has had on a traditionally republican state.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2006
    There are still 15 House races and 2 Senate races that are up for grabs.

Its a shame that it takes such a ground swell to change the leadership of Congress. Hopefully more states will take redistricting seriously and create more competitive seats.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jun 2003
    In my fair county they elected a dead man who was running unopposed.

btw - the candidate had passed away last month.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I don’t think that anything in Michigan changed… which sucks.

It will be interesting because it sounds like all of the Democrats who won are centrists, but if nothing changes or things get worse (and the dems with the Senate) I think that they will have a very hard time electing a democratic president, well depending on who is running.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    In Illinois, the Dems won big. I'm not happy about this as our re-elected gov'na is a gigantic tool, just as his GOP opponent was/is.

On a positive, the Green Party governer candidate pulled 11% of the vote. Not bad and maybe this will allow the 3rd party to begin to effectively compete in Illinois politics.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    The Dems pretty much control most of Illinois state things right now.

We have our first 2 term Dem governor since 1964.

I am hoping that the new Dem leadership in the US House will not become vindictive and use this new position to do some good legislation to help the nation.

Edit: I'll echo boiker's statements about the Green Party.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm in Texas, so no change here. Republicans won by about 60/40 in most races, which is still pretty dominating, but not as strong as in the past. Urban areas went democrat for the most part. One notable is that democrats are beginning to infiltrate some of the suburban districts traditionally held by republicans.

Texas elected what I believe is their first governor by plurality rather than majority. Sadly, there's no runoff provision here. We're stuck with Governor Blow-Dry (look at his hair and you'll understand) for another term. Bush's coattails have remained strong in Texas... Perry has never had an independent thought in his life, yet he has managed to survive as what will be the longest serving governor of Texas.

Kinky Friedman's campaign seems to have somewhat increased voter turnout in Texas. Carol Strayhorns campaign probably killed democrat Chris Bell's chances because she took a lot of the centrist democrats (despite Bell being fairly conservative).

Overall national picture, I'm anxious to see how Bush responds now that a little bit of power has been widdled away. My money says Rumsfeld is gone within six months and the Iraq strategy is vastly altered (my money is on the three-country split with shared oil revenues). I'm also curious to see how well Pelosi & Co. will embrace many of these new centrist & conservative democrats. More importantly, I'm curious to see how she will make sure business gets done without things devolving into a "revenge against Bush" policy framework. I'm just glad we are away from the "one-party" system we've had for the last several years--that's bad no matter which party is in the executive.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Its a great day to be named Jen in Michigan!

I was surprised at the proposals, Michigan will amend the state constitution to ban affirmative action and michiganians upheld a ban on the hunting of mourning doves!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    ...upheld a ban on the hunting of mourning doves!
    Damn, dirty mourning doves continue to get free subsidy from the State. Moochers!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Frankly, I'm shocked at the tidal wave effect the Dem's national strategy had in NH.

We have 2 Dem congresspeople for the first time in decades.

The Dems won the state senate for only the 3rd time since 1911.

The Dems won the state house of reps for the first time since 1920.

Our Dem Governor was reelected with a record 3/4 of the vote.

I'm just amazed at how much impact the national scene has had on a traditionally republican state.
    The northeast has become a graveyard for the GOP. NH used to be a red state and I think the tide turned when it went for Kerry in 2004.

Registered
    May 2003
    I think the new makup of the democratic party will be good for it. It will no longer get distracted by unimportant (imho) social issues and will be able to focus on economic issues and foreign policy. And the Republicans will now have a hard time unifying the base by calling the dems godless heathens. The Democratic Party will now be defined by things like health care and minimum wage, and of course the War in Iraq, which got them elected.

It looks like (Florida governor-elect) Crist was right to snub Bush. That man was political poision in this election.

The media is saying that Bush is going to "reach out" to democrats now that they're in power. Heh. Heh. Whatever happend to "if you're not with us you're against us?"

It's a shame that Tammy Duckworth didn't get elected. She's a real good person.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

It's a great day for the Nation and in Michigan!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    On a positive, the Green Party governer candidate pulled 11% of the vote. Not bad and maybe this will allow the 3rd party to begin to effectively compete in Illinois politics.

DOOD, that is big. I was involved in a petition drive to get teh Greens recognized in Kansas a few years ago. The petition failed, but it was a good civics lesson.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- Well, Blaggy won because Topinka was considered to be only slightly more repulsive. The Green candidate was the recipient of a huge protest vote in a race between two dirtbags.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm hearing lots of pots and pans banging and singing in the streets how this is a great victory for democrats. However, I don't see it that way. I think this last election had everything to do with rejecting neocon policy. Democrats in this case simply happened to be the primary beneficiaries of this tip in the scale of political balance. It would be great error on the part of democratic leadership if they were to view this election as some sort of new call for promoting liberal agendas. This election was purely about the return of moderation.

And FWIW I'll use my one moment of floor time gloating to point out that I called this election almost a year ago on this thread:

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showp...2&postcount=29
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I am going to stay positive on this. Dem's, the nation has given you a chance to lead. Go ahead, show me what you've got.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'm hearing lots of pots and pans banging and singing in the streets how this is a great victory for democrats. However, I don't see it that way. I think this last election had everything to do with rejecting neocon policy. Democrats in this case simply happened to be the primary beneficiaries of this tip in the scale of political balance. It would be great error on the part of democratic leadership if they were to view this election as some sort of new call for promoting liberal agendas. This election was purely about the return of moderation.

And FWIW I'll use my one moment of floor time gloating to point out that I called this election almost a year ago on this thread:

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showp...2&postcount=29
    I don't understand what a liberal agenda would be. Dems are talking about health care, minimum wage, trade policy, college loans, the deficit, etc.- essentially domestic issues that the GOP has ignored because it was too concerned with terry schiavo and gay bashing.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I am rejoicing in Phill Kline's (State Attorney General) defeat. He was an aspiring Ashcroft and I'm glad he's gone. The State Attorney General race was the one everyone here was watching.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I don’t think that anything in Michigan changed… which sucks.

It will be interesting because it sounds like all of the Democrats who won are centrists, but if nothing changes or things get worse (and the dems with the Senate) I think that they will have a very hard time electing a democratic president, well depending on who is running.
    That is why one of my first thoughts on the results is that the Dems had better not try to govern from the 'moonbat' left and not start a continuous two year getBushgetBushgetBushgetBushgetBush vandetta if they don't want to see an absolute bloodbath the other way in 2008.

As for Wisconsin, whatta schitzophrenic result! James Doyle, our über-corrupt ultra-lefty governor, is back (how long before we start seeing federal indictments against him??? ), a republican beat a moonbat lefty to become state attorney general, the 'D's took over the state senate and a constitution amendment banning single-sex marriages and official non-marriage 'civil unions' passed by a nearly 20% margin. Wisconsin voters also gave a nod to an advisory question about re-instating a death penalty in the state.

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I don't understand what a liberal agenda would be. Dems are talking about health care, minimum wage, trade policy, college loans, the deficit, etc.- essentially domestic issues that the GOP has ignored because it was too concerned with terry schiavo and gay bashing.
    Well, so far we haven't heard anything about a liberal agenda. I'm saying it would be a mistake on the part of dem leadership to read the landscape that way and instead should be focusing domestically on returning the federal government to a fiscally responsible state (with issues like the ones you mention) and in terms of foreign policy need to focus on repairing the massive damage the neocons inflicted on our international image/alliances.

In general, we need to dump the whole 'you're either with us or against us' mindset.
    Last edited by Maister; 08 Nov 2006 at 1:20 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2003
    One thing that Pelosi and several other democrats have already talked about is "fixing" the committee system. Appearently the Republicans used their power in congress to completly shut the democrats out of the committee process. Even when rules required that Democrats get appointed to committees the Republican heads would do thing like "forgetting" to tell them where and when they were meeting. Hastert also had a policy that only bills that already had "a majority of the majority's support" (which is to say, a Republican proposal) would be allowed to be aired on the house floor. Palosi says that the democrats will not be doing those things.

It should be reiterated that the new democratic delegation to the senate is not a "extreme liberal" (or "moonbat lefty," whatever the hell that means) deligation. The deligation is a moderate, centralist deligation because most of the seats that changed hands went to moderate democrats elected in moderate republican districts where people are just fed-up with how horribly the Republicans are running Washington.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Im glad Rick Santorum is gone that man just came off as someone out of touch and reeking of hate
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    Im glad Rick Santorum is gone that man just came off as someone out of touch and reeking of hate
    Yeah, I'm glad Jim Webb beat him. Oh wait, I'm thinking of George Allen. All the same though.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bid results
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Jun 2007, 1:50 PM
  2. Week 20 Standings & Results
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Feb 2007, 7:04 PM
  3. Week 5 Standings & Results