Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rummy Steps Down

Registered
    Mar 2002

Rummy Steps Down

ABC News is reporting Rummy is stepping down with Bush speaking in a few moments.

WOW Thats news for the day

WASHINGTON Nov 8, 2006 (AP)— Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, architect of an unpopular war in Iraq, intends to resign after six stormy years at the Pentagon, Republican officials said Wednesday.

Word came a day after the Democratic gains in the election, in which Rumsfeld was a focus of much of the criticism of the Iraq war. Officials said Robert Gates, former head of the CIA, would replace Rumsfeld.

Earlier today, a spokesman for Rumsfeld said he'd given no indication that he would step down in the wake of Democratic election gains. The spokesman said Rumsfeld would work with Congress on Iraq but added that the focus on stabilizing the country will remain the same.

In the days leading up to the election, President Bush said he wanted Rumsfeld to stay on as defense chief until the end of Bush's second term.
    Last edited by PlannerGirl; 08 Nov 2006 at 1:05 PM. Reason: add text
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 1998
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2004

Grrreeeaatt....

What a load..of......URRP.....gag...........just threw up a little in my mouth.....gag......pop tart......and .....a little bacon in there.....just a second......
    GULP.....AHH....

There....

WHAT A LOAD OF HYPOCRITIC CRAP.

Arrggg..........BARF!!!!
    Skilled Adoxographer

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    ABC News is reporting Rummy is stepping down with Bush speaking in a few moments.

WOW Thats news for the day
    If that's true, can I just say that its about damn time? I wonder when he gets his medal...

This has me very curious as to who his replacement would be. Odds are it'll be someone more moderate given the election outcome and Bush's need to smooth things over with the dems to get anything remotely close to his agenda accomplished.

EDIT: just saw the rest of the article added mentioning Gates... Don't know much about him aside that he's the President of Texas A&M and was former CIA head. Off to go google I guess...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    If that's true, can I just say that its about damn time? I wonder when he gets his medal...

This has me very curious as to who his replacement would be. Odds are it'll be someone more moderate given the election outcome and Bush's need to smooth things over with the dems to get anything remotely close to his agenda accomplished.
    from Planderella's link, "Officials said Robert Gates, former head of the CIA under the first President Bush" would replace Rummy.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's about time. I wonder how much of a puppet Gates will be, or if he will actually be able to intiate something other than "stay the course"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Ding dong, the witch is dead! Rumsfeld is OUT!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I'd say between yesterday and today....Dems sent it out of the ballpark!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Huh. Just a week ago Doubya told us how critical Rumsfeld and Cheney were to his presidency and this country, and promised they would stay. Rummy is gone. I guess Bush is in real trouble now. This must have come as a real shock to him. He could not have known, as he would never mislead this country. Thank god we still have Cheney.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Waiting until after the election to resign goes along with releasing bad news on Friday. I hate how politicians do things like this to manipulate public opinion to best serve their interests instead of those of the people.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Ding dong, the witch is dead! Rumsfeld is OUT!
    Is it too much to ask that Rove goes with him?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Why did he resign? As Dubya would say, "Rummy, you're doing a heck of a job."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Off-topic:
    I've got to read these thread titles more slowly. I thought it said Rumpy Steps Down.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Huh. Just a week ago Doubya told us how critical Rumsfeld and Cheney were to his presidency and this country, and promised they would stay. Rummy is gone. I guess Bush is in real trouble now. This must have come as a real shock to him. He could not have known, as he would never mislead this country. Thank god we still have Cheney.
    You know, I think Bush was honestly shocked at the results from last night, and has spent the last 18 hours or so wondering, "how exactly do I do this 'reach out' thing to the Democrats?" Of course, the more cynical side of me says that if Rumsfeld is out of office, he doesn't bring the whole Administration down if/when investigations by the new Congress start happening.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Wow that's horrible timing. If he was going to step down he could have a week ago and actually impacted these GOP seats that were up for grabs. Him stepping down is like a kick in the nuts to the GOP candidates that lost narrow races. I believe if Rummy stepped down last week the races would have been a lot closer.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Nov 2005
    so much for staying the course. thanks donald.

Registered
    May 2004
    Approximately 5 years too late.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    With Rumsfeld out and the House and possibly the Senate controlled by Democrats (many of whom in the seconds between mudslinging in their ads pointed out they were against the war in Iraq), what if anything will change with regard to the war in Iraq? (sorry for the kind of run on sentance)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Wow that's horrible timing. If he was going to step down he could have a week ago and actually impacted these GOP seats that were up for grabs. Him stepping down is like a kick in the nuts to the GOP candidates that lost narrow races. I believe if Rummy stepped down last week the races would have been a lot closer.
    You're probably right, but arrogance and sheer mule-headedness kept anyone in the White House from making such an unselfish action. They didn't foresee such a huge Democratic win and therefore saw no reason to change the leadership of the war effort.

My guess is Rummy's resignation was more of a "Get him out before the Congressional hearings begin" maneuverer.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cololi View post
    It's about time. I wonder how much of a puppet Gates will be, or if he will actually be able to intiate something other than "stay the course"
    Actually the new saying is "full speed ahead", according to Dick Cheney.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by veleez View post
    With Rumsfeld out and the House and possibly the Senate controlled by Democrats (many of whom in the seconds between mudslinging in their ads pointed out they were against the war in Iraq), what if anything will change with regard to the war in Iraq? (sorry for the kind of run on sentance)
    Its up to the President, he is the decider! Congress provides oversight and approves appropriations for the war but the President sets policy.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahhh.....NOOO.....

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    BARF......Gag........gork............

GOP should now be GH(hypocritical)OP Cardinal....keep posting these and I'll have to go to the hospital for an IV cause I can't keep anything down.......

Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Actually the new saying is "full speed ahead", according to Dick Cheney.
    Those may be his words. Yet with still Cheney around, "duck and cover" seems to be more appropriate for the rest of us.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    I agree completely.

Let’s not forget that while the past few years have not been a cake walk, here is a guy who has been a popular political figure since the 60’s. It is a shame that he has to go out this way, but I agree it is time for him to step out. He has been the Youngest and Oldest Secretary of Defense, and works harder than most of us combined. It is nothing for this man to put in 80 hour weeks, almost every week. On top of that all of this time he has had a desk that he stands at... the man does not sit down for anything.

As I said, I agree it is time for him to leave (well last week would have been better) but I think that it is juvenile and hypocritical to bash him. But those are just my thoughts on the matter.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

     
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Its up to the President, he is the decider! Congress provides oversight and approves appropriations for the war but the President sets policy.
    I realize this. I'm more curious as to how people will react when nothing changes. The war was definitly one of the biggest issues in this election year. People voted Democrat, presumably because they want change. Did people vote Democrat because they want to see a change, or because they want to show that they want a change? How will Democrats do in 2008 when we are still in Iraq?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What next steps to take?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Jun 2011, 2:30 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 25 Aug 2006, 9:22 PM
  3. D_O_D, 29 Steps Wisdom
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3