Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rummy Steps Down

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by veleez View post
    I realize this. I'm more curious as to how people will react when nothing changes. The war was definitly one of the biggest issues in this election year. People voted Democrat, presumably because they want change. Did people vote Democrat because they want to see a change, or because they want to show that they want a change? How will Democrats do in 2008 when we are still in Iraq?
    I see it as a no lose for the democrats. The Democrats 2008 strategy will be either blame the President (again) or take credit for something they had no control over. If things get worse in Iraq they will say it was due to the president and his failed policies. If things get better then the Democrats say it due to the fact they were elected in 2006.
    This election was arare nationalization of local races. I don't forsee that occuring again for a while. Democrats must be careful since most of these new Congress people are centrists and if the party pulls them too far left they have a difficult re-election and many of the freshmen will be one termers.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Wow that's horrible timing. If he was going to step down he could have a week ago and actually impacted these GOP seats that were up for grabs. Him stepping down is like a kick in the nuts to the GOP candidates that lost narrow races. I believe if Rummy stepped down last week the races would have been a lot closer.
    That's why I say Bush was genuinely SHOCKED by the results of last night, and he's 1) looking for ways to "reach across the aisle", and 2) trying to minimize the impact of hearings and investigations fallout that will inevitably come.

Come to think of it, if I'm a Republican I might be more upset with a too-late Rumsfeld firing than losing Congress last night. Letting Rummy go in October, along with an announcement on a new direction in Iraq, might have kept the GOP in control of Congress.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Wow that's horrible timing. If he was going to step down he could have a week ago and actually impacted these GOP seats that were up for grabs. Him stepping down is like a kick in the nuts to the GOP candidates that lost narrow races. I believe if Rummy stepped down last week the races would have been a lot closer.

There is no doubt in my mind that he did not voluntarily step down. Bush played his card last week when he said Rumsy would stick it out till the end of the presidentis term. That gave the swing voters all they needed to vote blue. Bush was in a no win situation and the democrats had him in check mate. He couldn't can him and admit that he was wrong after his recent comments. The election gave him a reason to change course and they worked out a "resignation" to help rumsy save some face but achieve the same purpose without having to really talk much about it. The President is lacking the savy to have pulled off getting rid of Rumsfield and having a postive result at the polls.

He should have not said anything and worked out a resignation a month or so ago. That would have taken much of the fire power over the war in Iraq out of the Democrats hands and made it look like the administration was chaning course, which would have kept more of the centralist voters. Politics has a very short memory and what have you done for me lately convinces many voters.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by SGB View post
    Off-topic:
    I've got to read these thread titles more slowly. I thought it said Rumpy Steps Down.
    Same when I first see the thread.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jess View post
    Off-topic:
    I've got to read these thread titles more slowly. I thought it said Rumpy Steps Down.
    Same when I first see the thread.
    Er, me three. And I was really wondering what it meant. But, no, nothing good like local gossip... um, NEWS. I meant news. (Y'all knew that , of course. ) Instead, it's just politics. Not my bag.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. What next steps to take?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Jun 2011, 2:30 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 25 Aug 2006, 9:22 PM
  3. D_O_D, 29 Steps Wisdom
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3