Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Green technology parks

Registered
    Oct 2005

Green technology parks

I'm looking for case studies and examples across the US and outside or business parks centralized around a green technology theme such as renewable energy. The city I work for is investigating ways to encourage such a development here as part of a redevelopment plan and any directions you can point me in would be appreciated.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    I'm not sure if you are looking for a "green" industry, or a "green" site/building. . .

If it's the latter, it occurs to me that the most important "green" component of such a business park would be to site it where it will be served by credible public transit. No matter how many recycled materials or solar panels are used, if every employee and visitor has to drive to get there. . . it isn't really green.

SInce the city is doing the looking, they should select a site accordingly and link it with a community growth plan that is sustainable overall. Can you tell us a little bit more about the goals and details of the project?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    It's better if you elaborate your goals and objectives, also if you could trim down specifically to what extent you want to use renewable energy. Green park and green building have different meanings.

Registered
    Oct 2005

Further clarification on Green Parks

The site is an infill/redevelopment area which will be exceedingly well served by transit including bus rapid transit and commuter rail and will likely be included in a parking district for the area. The commercial green building standards the city is developing will de done and inefect when it's built out, and we also have the opportunity to rezone the area after we complete our sub-area plan.

The idea is to build on an anchor tenant that has ground and plans on building a renewable energy demonstration center for the private sector and try and encourage other renwable energy themed business like R&D, research to market firms, and other businesses that can benefit from colocation at a site like this, and then to determine how we can lure them in to create a one stop hub for companies, consumers, and contractors to learn and buy.

I'm specifically looking for case studies or trend reports towards green tech parks if any exist, but suggestions would also be appreciated. With the zoning change, we'll be able to incorporate things like density bonuses and use guidelines, but we won't go specific enough that way, and are curious what other tools we might employ.

THANKS

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Is the location in Boulder?

Sounds like a very cool project. The only 'green office park' I've encountered was in the UK, I'll see what information I can pull up. I think they are in the middle of a remodel right now to add better insulation and better storm water management.

If you are looking to attract green businesses you are really going to have to look into building green buildings. As someone already stated, while green office/technology parks are a different beast from green buildings, one will attract the other. Plus, if you do it right, it wont add much to your bottom line. I assume you are familiar with the LEED standard, especially their standard for Neighborhoods that is coming out soon.

If this is a big property, you may want to talk to government environmental agencies about becoming the anchor tenant. I know that in the Washington DC area the EPA recently moved into a LEED certified building and NOAA is building one to be completed in 2007.

This Wednesday through Friday is the Greenbuild Convention in Denver, CO hosted by the U.S. Green Building Council, are you attending?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Mar 2013, 6:57 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Oct 2011, 12:10 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 23 May 2005, 4:31 PM
  4. Ambivalence concerning technology
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 27 Aug 2004, 5:55 PM