Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Wal-Mart is NOT going to hell

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Why Wal-Mart is NOT going to hell

CNN Money Link

Wal-Mart: We're not afraid to say Merry Christmas
    No. 1 retailer has decided to abandon its generic 'Happy Holidays' greeting in favor of 'Merry Christmas.'

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Wal-Mart has told its employees that it's OK to once again greet shoppers by saying "Merry Christmas" this holiday season instead of the generic "Happy Holidays."
    CNN confirmed that Wal-Mart will announce Thursday that it plans to use the phrase "Merry Christmas" in products and around its stores this holiday season.
    It is nice to see a major retailer say F(*$@ Off to all of the anti-religious groups in the country. I know that I will personally shop there this season.
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Sorry I'm not anti religious but I am not Christian

I will be doing my shopping for Hanukah elsewhere
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Mskis, are you "anti-science" because you believe in divine origins the universe? No, you say? Why then would you insist on classing anyone preferring a more inclusive greeting as being "anti-religious"?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    Sorry I'm not anti religious but I am not Christian

I will be doing my shopping for Hanukah elsewhere
    It is because they will use Merry Christmas, a statement which over 80% of the US can relate to, or because it’s Wal-Mart?

Would it be different if they said Happy Hanukah as well?
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Mskis, are you "anti-science" because you believe in divine origins the universe? No, you say? Why then would you insist on classing anyone preferring a more inclusive greeting as being "anti-religious"?
    It’s not that I am anti-science just anti-“political correctness extremists” and anti-stupid people.

Last time I checked, Christmas is a federal holiday as well as what some Christians think the second most important holiday in the religious calendar. As for the ‘preferred greeting’ a vote of the shareholders for Wal-Mart and study groups overwhelmingly supported the idea.

If a business wants to say Happy Hanukah or Merry Boxing Day (if they are Canadian) then more power to them. I might even be drawn to shop there to support their business for standing up against the extreme anti-Semitists such as that guy in California who wants to remove God from anyone lives.

More so, last I checked, there was no science in Christmas beyond figuring out how to keep your tree from dropping its needles too soon.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    No because they are choosing to be divisive rather than inclusive. The holiday season is not all about religious observance for many but a time for renewed hope for mankind and the coming year. There are many many holidays and traditions during the time period from mid Nov to mid Jan.

I wish Wal-Mart well and glad they can have the right to instruct their employees to address folks in such a way, just as I'm glad I have the right to shop elsewhere and share my money with places I feel value diversity and the rich traditions of all people.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    It’s not that I am anti-science just anti-“political correctness extremists” and anti-stupid people.
    Yo, Mskis,

I gather you didn't comprehend my analogy. I'll use small words to explain ...just because someone has spiritual or religious beliefs doesn't necessarily make them anti-science or extremists in any way, but you calling anyone who prefers a more inclusive greeting 'extremists' or 'stupid' amounts to the much the same as calling someone like yourself 'anti-science'. Kapiche?
    Last edited by Maister; 10 Nov 2006 at 10:00 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002

Doesn't Faze this Jew

CNN Money Link

It is nice to see a major retailer say F(*$@ Off to all of the anti-religious groups in the country. I know that I will personally shop there this season.
    I don't really care what they call it- clearly the "holiday season" is Christmas. Hannukah is just for kids and pyros (although I do enjoy its small ceremonies and latkes, its really not a big holiday any way you cut it.)

I wouldn't shop at Walmart anyway - too much cheap crap and not enough decent stuff. Plus I'd have to drive at least 25 miles to get to one from the godless city where I live.

It seems a little strange to say the "anti-religious" groups caused the "Happy Holidays" phrase. Wasn't it the "other religions" groups?

Walmart is not going to hell now because christian creeds are the only ones with hell anyway, so they don't have anything to lose by pissing us Jews off...

I still will not shop there. I'm not a Christian either. But I don't really care what the holiday greeting is. If folks want to say "merry christmas" , Happy Holidays, whatever...... just have fun and relax over the Holidays!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Yo, Mskis,
    I gather you didn't comprehend my analogy. I'll use small words to explain ...just because someone has spiritual or religious beliefs doesn't necessarily make them anti-religious or extremists in any way, but you calling anyone who prefers a more inclusive greeting 'extremists' or 'stupid' amounts to the much the same as calling someone like yourself 'anti-science'. Kapiche?
    Oh I understand... and when I say “Stupid People” I refer to those who object of someone saying or posting terms such as Merry Christmas! Too many people try to suppress any evidence of anything that could be deemed “Religious”.

I don’t have a problem with anyone celebrating there religion as long as it does not do anything that would limit me from celebrating mine. If someone wished me a happy Hanukah I would say thank you and Happy Hanukah to you too!

I think that those who are angry about a store bring Christmas back into the Holliday Season, should not celebrate Christmas.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Too many people try to suppress any evidence of anything that could be deemed “Religious”.
    "suppression" is an interesting and ironic choice of word.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    "suppression" is an interesting and ironic choice of word.
    Don’t make me come over that cubicle wall and kick your A$$.

Suppression is what it is. Sad part about it is the left wing extremist media has expanded this idea in an effort to be Politically Correct and not offend anyone. I would not be surprised if CBS will not air anything that uses the word “Christmas” because those left wing freaks in production office are just that way.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Don’t make me come over that cubicle wall and kick your A$$.

Suppression is what it is. Sad part about it is the left wing extremist media has expanded this idea in an effort to be Politically Correct and not offend anyone. I would not be surprised if CBS will not air anything that uses the word “Christmas” because those left wing freaks in production office are just that way.
    Must....not.....

Look, if preferring a 'happy holidays' greeting over a 'merry Christmas' greetings amounts to suppression because it excludes specific reference to the Christian holiday, I suppose using an identical line of reasoning it follows that wishing someone 'merry Christmas' must necessarily also amount to suppression of Judaism or Islam because they too are omitted!

And keep in mind whose choice of words 'suppression' was.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    I agree with michaelskis on this one. Saying "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" so as not to offend people would be like coming up with an alternate name for July 4 (Independance Day) so as not to offend British people. Also, since Hannukah is a minor holiday and Kwanzaa isn't even that real (made up in 1966, which I guess makes it like the Scientology of religions) I don't understand why non-Christians care.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by veleez View post
    I agree with michaelskis on this one. Saying "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" so as not to offend people would be like coming up with an alternate name for July 4 (Independance Day) so as not to offend British people. Also, since Hannukah is a minor holiday and Kwanzaa isn't even that real (made up in 1966, which I guess makes it like the Scientology of religions) I don't understand why non-Christians care.
    Now that sounds like a reasonable, well-put argument! Why can't Mskis do the same?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    They'll also say their greetings in Jewish or Pagen (the winter solstice is coming up, too) if it is approporiate to the customer.

BTW, not just keeping the needles on the tree, but there is also some pretty good science involved in those snazzy LED Christmas lights that we're now seeing in the stores. I like them.

-----

Just like how a radio station in Milwaukee likes to say it...

"Merry Christmas!
    Happy Hunnukah!

And, for you Atheists in the crowd,

Have a nice day!"

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Skis, you bring this up every year....
    We know that the damn liberals are warring against the rights to be a Christian.

What about my right to be a secular humanist? Is this country not free to me?

Actually, I really tire of the "extremists" that are dragging this issue through the mud. This very small sect of the Liberal movement is ruining it for the rest of us. I am one Liberal who agrees that the PC movement needs to be turned down a little bit, but do we need to be beating this Merry Christmas thing year after year.

Time for an early glass of "holiday cheer"

Terrific Thankgiving, everybody
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

They should just come up with their own twist on the theme.

Have a wally martsmas!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    As for the ‘preferred greeting’ a vote of the shareholders for Wal-Mart and study groups overwhelmingly supported the idea.
    So did they go back to "Merry Christmas" because they really believe it is more appropriate or just to avoid another season of nasty boycotts? From the article:

The announcement comes a year after religious groups such as The American Family Association and The Catholic League boycotted retailers including Wal-Mart last holiday season for excluding the word "Christmas" from products sold in stores.

"We, quite frankly, have learned a lesson from last year," Wal-Mart spokeswoman Linda Blakley told USA Today in a separate report. "We're not afraid to use the term 'Merry Christmas.' We'll use it early, and we'll use it often."

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I don't care what Wal-mart calls Christmas, I'm still not buying anything there. Its bad for my local/state economy.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I may be a dyed-in-the-wool, card-carrying, evangelist-despising humanist but:

a) The reason we get a week off in late December is Christmas, which is in any case only a nominally CHirstian holiday. We don't get a holiday for Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Jedi or Earth-mother holidays because we live in predoiminantly and historically Christian countries. In Muslim countries they get Eid off, but not Easter; funny that.

b) The Christian majority celebrating a harmless festivity in a harmless way does nothing to impinge on my rights as a humanist.

c) My daughter did a lovely-crappy plasticine candle holder for Diwali at Montessori school a few weeks ago. How's that for PC?

d) Mikaelskis, still grumpy about Rummy getting the boot?
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Luca View post
    d) Mikaelskis, still grumpy about Rummy getting the boot?
    Darn right I am.

Registered
    May 2005
    My take on the "Happy Holidays" issue has been that it is a way to attract the widest possible client base - whether a retailer or TV station. Its called the "holiday season" not because of a fear of insulting Jews, but because it includes Hannuka, New Year's (not a religious holiday) and even, for most retailers, Thanksgiving. There's probably some more in there I am missing, not all of which are religious.

It seems to me that retailers, who in the the business of...business, are not afraid of insulting people, but want to attract as many buyers as possible.

When a store says "happy holidays," for example, I suspect that I might actually be able to buy candles for our menorah. "Merry Christmas" suggests probably not. That place just lost my business. They can do what they want, but I expect they probably want me to buy their stuff, so why not appeal to as many as possible?

Now the issue has been, IMHO, blown out of proportion by the religious right to suggest that places like Wal-mart are anti-christian. I think Wal-mart fears they will lose business from people who THINK this is true (which, given their book list and biblical vegetable videos is rather amusing), so they decided that they will gain or retain more than they lose if they don't mention Christmas by name.

That's my take on it anyway....

PS. I don't shop at Wal-mart anyway, so this is really a non-issue for me.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2005
    Also, since Hannukah is a minor holiday and Kwanzaa isn't even that real (made up in 1966, which I guess makes it like the Scientology of religions) I don't understand why non-Christians care.
    Though to be fair, ALL holidays were "made up" at some point

Jolly Kwanzaannamas everybody!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    "We, quite frankly, have learned a lesson from last year," Wal-Mart spokeswoman Linda Blakley told USA Today in a separate report. "We're not afraid to use the term 'Merry Christmas.' We'll use it early, and we'll use it often."
    Are Wal-Mart employees instricted to say "Merry Christmas" to everybody? Does that include people that look like this?

That'll go over really well at this Wal-Mart, smack in the middle of a neighborhood filled with VERY Orthodox Jews. They were up in arms when the voting precinct for the area was moved to the social hall of a church - not the sanctuary, but a church.

Yes, you'll see a lot of customers with beards and brimmed hats and black coats in the CH Severance Center Wally World. We're not talking about run-of-the-mill Reform and Conservative Jews here.

"Happy Holidays' is an all-encompassing term, and only pisses off some very vocal fundamentalist Christians who see it as a way for others to help with their evangelizing efforts.

"Merry Christmas", while sincere, will really alienate Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and athiests.

Tyrrany of the majority ...

Increasingly, when I get a "Merry Christmas" from a cashier, it's not sincere, but done in a snide, superior tone - "You have yourself a MERRY CHRISTMAS and God Bless". When it's forced like that, I respond with "You have a HAPPY HANUKKAH too!"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'm still astonished that we live in a time where this is even news

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Wal-Mart and NYC
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Mar 2007, 5:09 PM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last post: 18 Sep 2005, 1:07 AM