Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What makes Bob Seger so great?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

What makes Bob Seger so great?

(WOJTEK DABROWSKI Photo)

What makes Bob Seger so great? He is not Sting, U2, or Kid Rock, but his Grand Rapids show sold out in 6 Minutes and his Detroit show sold out in record time, so they added 5 more, and all of them sold out in a matter of minutes.

Here is a guy who has kind of a raspy voice, he is not flashy, yet crowds flock to him.

*As a disclaimer, If I could get tickets for his show, I would.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Don't you mean Bob Sagett?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm almost certain it is NOT because we were subjected to that Chevy truck ad "like a rock....." 7,823,550 times over the last decade.

Seems like he shares certain commonalities (in terms of both character and music) with Bruce Springstein.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

I think it is because of his simple lyrics and blue-collar songs (Night Moves, etc.) that the baby-boomers can relate to. It takes them back to a simpler time in their lives. You know, like the way 80's music does for us mskis.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    What makes Bob Seger so great? He is not Sting, U2, or Kid Rock.
    One of these things does not belong. How the heck did Kid Rock get grouped with Sting and U2??????? You were being facetious, right?????
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    One of these things does not belong. How the heck did Kid Rock get grouped with Sting and U2??????? You were being facetious, right?????
    Knowing Mskis I'd say not.
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr
    It takes them back to a simpler time in their lives. You know, like the way 80's music does for us mskis
    Perhaps worthy of a different thread, but you bring up an interesting point. I'll bet music from the 70's and 80's holds very different emotional/sentimental significance for the 50-something crowd versus the, 40-something, and 30-something crowds.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well, we're talking about selling out shows in Michigan, so maybe those three do belong there together. Although it is scary when you take it out of a regional context, huh?

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Seems like he shares certain commonalities (in terms of both character and music) with Bruce Springstein.
    Aside from the fact that they're both male and both sing rock and roll, the commonalities stop there, IMO. Springsteen is musically light-years away from Seger in terms of both breadth and depth.

Quote Originally posted by Seger
    Out past the cornfields where the woods got heavy
    Out in the back seat of my 60 chevy
    Workin on mysteries without any clues
    Workin on our night moves
    Tryin to make some front page drive-in news
    Workin on our night moves
    In the summertime
    In the sweet summertime
    Quote Originally posted by Bruce
    Fat man sitting on a little stool
    Takes the money from my hand while his eyes take a walk all over you
    Hands me the ticket smiles and whispers good luck
    Cuddle up angel cuddle up my little dove
    Well ride down baby into this tunnel of love

I can feel the soft silk of your blouse
    And them soft thrills in our little fun house
    Then the lights go out and its just the three of us
    You me and all that stuff were so scared of
    Gotta ride down baby into this tunnel of love
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr View post
    I think it is because of his simple lyrics and blue-collar songs (Night Moves, etc.) that the baby-boomers can relate to. It takes them back to a simpler time in their lives. You know, like the way 80's music does for us mskis.
    Simpler time in our lives in the 80’s umm yea. Since I was 6 or 7 in the mid 80’s...

Sing, U2, and Kid Rock are all musical acts that you love or you hate. Some people find absolute genius in every aspect of what they do, while others ask them selves WTF for everything they do. (Such as Bono spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to fly his hat from London to some concert site... because he forgot his hat at home.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Aside from the fact that they're both male and both sing rock and roll, the commonalities stop there, IMO. Springsteen is musically light-years away from Seger in terms of both breadth and depth.
    Well sure, if you pick the best of Springstein and the worst of Seeger.

I was agreeing with ssnyderjr's notion that they both have a certain plebian appeal thematically - you know Main Street, Born in the USA and all that. They both sing songs from the common man's viewpoint.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    There is nothing great about Bob Seager.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Bob Seger was the first concert I ever attended, guess I was 14 or 15. At the time he was only really big in Michigan and the south.

I've always really liked his music. But then, ya'll know I'm an oldies fan. I won't say he's "great" but his music is consistent, I enjoy it, and yes, it's nostalgic for me.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Knowing Mskis I'd say not.
    Perhaps worthy of a different thread, but you bring up an interesting point. I'll bet music from the 70's and 80's holds very different emotional/sentimental significance for the 50-something crowd versus the, 40-something, and 30-something crowds.
    I don't know if things have changed so much. The last time I saw Seger was almost 25 years ago. I went with two girls who were tripping their asses off. Not much different than recent String Cheese Incident shows from what I understand.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Well sure, if you pick the best of Springstein and the worst of Seeger.

I was agreeing with ssnyderjr's notion that they both have a certain plebian appeal thematically - you know Main Street, Born in the USA and all that. They both sing songs from the common man's viewpoint.
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. Not a fan of Springsteen or Seger (which might make me a better judge), but I've always seen their image as poets of the common man, working-class guys. Would John Mellencamp fit here too?

I got into this argument once with a drunk girl down at Purdue University.

Tom Petty is marginally good
    as is
    Bruce Springsteen
    as is
    Ted Nugent
    as is
    Bob Seger

not one of these artists is way better than another. Although "Uncle" Ted gives the best speeches and puts on the best show....from what I heard....
    They all sing modern folk music and sometimes even mix in catchy tunes behind the stories.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    not one of these artists is way better than another. Although "Uncle" Ted gives the best speeches and puts on the best show....from what I heard....
    They all sing modern folk music and sometimes even mix in catchy tunes behind the stories.
    I don't agree with a lot of his speeches, but I do agree that his shows are GREAT. The Motor City Madman was the opener for KISS, when I saw them twice.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I got into this argument once with a drunk girl down at Purdue University.

Tom Petty is marginally good
    as is
    Bruce Springsteen
    as is
    Ted Nugent
    as is
    Bob Seger

Ted is a whole different group. Seger could be seen as a regular guy walking out of the GM plant, gets in his truck and heads to the bar. Jeans and T-shirt wearing, domestic beer drinking, guitar plucking common man.

Mr. Ted Nugent is more likely the type that just got done selling guns. He is a animal print, trigger happy, showman/ performer.

Nugent is in it for the performance of “ROCK” while Seger is more in it for the music of “rock and roll with a touch of soul”

Nugent is more Bon Jovi than Bob Seger.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    There is absolutely nothing that makes bob seger great, imo. I have to change the radio station whenever he comes on. Although Turn the Page is alright, but better when Metalica did it.

Registered
    May 2004
    He's good. Not necessarily great - but he's a heck of a lot better than some of the folks who have made it into the rock and roll hall of fame or who may make it in *cough* REM *cough*

He has a very melodic non offensive catchy style of rock. Nothing particularly creative or ground-breaking but a huge amount of people like that sort of thing.

Ssnyderjr - I would respectfully disagree with your analysis of Tom Petty and Ted Nugent. IMO Ted Nugent isn't marginally good- he is marginally terrible - but entertaining.

Tom Petty is great IMO by virtue of the number of catchy non-offensive slightly bland hits that he has been able to create and the wide appeal of his music across generations.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Ted is a whole different group. Seger could be seen as a regular guy walking out of the GM plant, gets in his truck and heads to the bar. Jeans and T-shirt wearing, domestic beer drinking, guitar plucking common man.

Mr. Ted Nugent is more likely the type that just got done selling guns. He is a animal print, trigger happy, showman/ performer.

Nugent is in it for the performance of “ROCK” while Seger is more in it for the music of “rock and roll with a touch of soul”

Nugent is more Bon Jovi than Bob Seger.
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you there compadre'. Mr Nugent, although gun happy and high energy. He is very blue collar and relates to many midwesterners with songs like Great White Buffalo, Wango Tango, Cat Scratch Fever, Free-for-All, Stranglehold and Fred Bear. Ted pays homage to hunters of various game and fully respects american history. Some history is even relayed through the story of the indians legendary "Great White Buffalo". Maybe "Terrible" Ted is geared more toward those GM factory workers carrying their lunchboxes and hardhats walking toward their GM extenda-cab trucks equipped with a gun rack in the back window, mossy oak stickers, a rollbar with KC Highlighters and no wussy Tonnau Cover to "protect" things in the bed. Ted's son Toby was at my bro's graduation party in Spring Arbor near Jackson, MI. My brother has personally seen Ted and the zebra striped bronco at a gas station in Jackson. Very intelligent guy. He should be running for an office.
    P.S. Is it deer season in Michigan yet??

Registered
    Feb 2006

Wow!

I love your description there ssnyder...almost makes me wonder if you deal with this type of person on an hourly basis!
    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription...is more cowbell!" - Bruce Dickinson

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Don't you mean Bob Sagett?
    Yeah. Who doesn't love watching a guy get hit in the beans with a T-ball bat?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Quote Originally posted by cmavis View post
    I love your description there ssnyder...almost makes me wonder if you deal with this type of person on an hourly basis!
    You know what I'm talkin' bout, country boy. Anyone here come from a town named "Farmer"?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cololi View post
    There is nothing great about Bob Seager.
    Yeah Seger sucks. Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Springsteen.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Is that a woman or a man?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What Makes a Classic Car?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 30 Jun 2009, 6:39 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 24 Mar 2006, 9:45 AM