Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Inter-library loan

Registered
    Feb 2000

Inter-library loan

Have you ever used inter-library loan services? What sorts of materials were you looking for?

In the past I've checked out old newspaper microfilm from other states and from the State's Historical Society. Today I ordered a copy of the following article....

Russian Review: Vol 19, No. 1 (January 1960) for the article "Darwinism, Scientism and Nihilism".

I was pleasantly surprised to get a call from the local library saying that it was available and being ordered.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I actually worked in the interlibrary loan department of my university library when I was an undergrad. Used it a few times too, but only when I was in school.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    One of my Ex's ordered a copy of a very scarce book that had the love letters written by Gen George Pickett during the civil war to his extremely young bride. He was a decendant. ( I don't believe he ever returned it. )
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    When I did a term paper on the planning, organization and construction of Denver's new Airport for my ONLY Urban Planning class in college, I used inter-library loan.

I have thought about it for stuff up here, as the local library is good--- but people seem to check out specific books I want and keep renewing them for a year...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup....

Long ago....in a galaxy far far away.....I ordered about 15 items through inter-library loans....from about 10 places.... I was thinking about trying to get certified in Canada MCIP..... read all of the materials....then decided that I should work up there first......someday maybe.....

Had a good experience with the library loan system I used to use it all of the time in grad school, but was local between U. of Denver Law School Library and U. of Colorado System, as well as the Denver Public Library (FANTASTIC LIBRARY BY THE WAY!!)
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Oct 2003
    When I was living in Toronto, I fell in love with the city's library system. The city has 99 libraries. The best thing about it was the abundance of resources available.

I loved going to their website and putting in a request for whatever books, movies, cds, or what not that I was interested in borrowing and in a short while, I would get notification these requested items are in!

Many of these resources came from different libraries to the library that was closest to me.

I don't know if this is considered "inter-library loans".

This is one of the things I miss about Toronto.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I use it a lot because out library doesn't have the most interesting selection of books.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I love our library cooperative! It is like having a million books at your fingertips. Just about anything we are looking for the library has it.

People who steal library books are worse than scum IMO!

Registered
    May 2005
    Interlibrary loan is way cool. I used it a lot in school looking for obscure articles about African cultural traditions (musical and otherwise) as well as historical documents. This stuff was not in our library, but they tracked it down from somwhere, no problem. They would send it right o my house when it came in - a great present in the mail, espceially when you forgot that you had even requested the stuff.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Inter-jurisdictional relationships
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Jul 2013, 9:29 AM
  2. Inter-departmental beefs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Sep 2012, 1:01 PM
  3. Revolving loan funds and loan underwriting