Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Faxed applications

Registered
    May 2005

Faxed applications

What's everyone's view of accepting faxed applications? Not a big fan myself. Anyone have any interesting tidbits on this subject?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    No. I would accept a faxed application. Is it really that difficult to mail it. Or if it needs to get there, like, now, then messenger it over.

Faxing is usually the last effort of some applicant that dragged their feet and butted right against the application deadline. I like to stick it to them in those cases.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Nope. I must have an original signature, not a facsimile. I will allow a faxed application to hold a docket on the agenda, but it's not going to see the light of day until I have that orginal signature.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2006
    We'd always ask for the original too, but if they faxed it in by the deadline it would get on the agenda.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    We still use a 5 part NCR application form. We occasionally get a copied application and depending how I feel I might shoot it back with an original form for them to fill out. But if I get an application faxed to me it's like I never received it. I ignore it, these attorneys and developers know better, at least get a courier or hand deliever it yourself (plus it's kind of hard to fax a check). Same goes for a cover letter with a single set of plans that says "please look at this tell me what you think". That's what pre-ap meetings are for or you apply and give me a fee and I'll tell you what's wrong with your application.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    We requirement payment of the fees at time of application. That pretty much eliminates the faxed applications.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How uncommon is it for someone to want to submit a project, only to learn that they have a day or two to get it in, or have to wait another month. I usually give these people some leeway. Fax or email me the copy so it can be put on the agenda. Follow up in short order with the original. I don't find that repeat customers abuse this. In fact, since they know the system, they are usually prepared well ahead of time. The person in need is usually a community resident doing a small project and having no previous contact with the planning department. There's nothing wrong with letting a citizen think that we bent over backwards to accommodate them.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    We don't accept faxed or emailed applications. We must have signed originals. Most applicants have the application couriered to the office if time is an issue.
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    How uncommon is it for someone to want to submit a project, only to learn that they have a day or two to get it in, or have to wait another month. I usually give these people some leeway. Fax or email me the copy so it can be put on the agenda. Follow up in short order with the original. I don't find that repeat customers abuse this. In fact, since they know the system, they are usually prepared well ahead of time. The person in need is usually a community resident doing a small project and having no previous contact with the planning department. There's nothing wrong with letting a citizen think that we bent over backwards to accommodate them.
    I agree... this is how I deal with it most of the time. Some jurisdictions in our area take online applications (Edmonton has a good online application program). If I were to turn around and not even take a faxed application to start the process, with a follow up original later, then my little burb would be labeled 'business unfriendly'... the favourite catch phrase of the local developers.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Since I work in a tourist/resort town, I have alot of property owners, both business and residential, that are "from away" - so I do try to accomodate them by allowing documents to be faxed with a follow up hard copy for the record - as Cardinal alludes to, we do try for some reasonable accommodations in an effort to provide customer service

We do also require payment of the fee with the application, so the allowance for faxing isn't the whole application, it's often a sign off from the landowner that so-and-so is their representative, or it's a missing document they had forgotten to include, stuff like that...

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I am with Cardinal and Nerudite on this. Applicants can bring in/fax the form. If incomplete or without all needed submittals, they know that they must be in the office by the day the public notice is published. The day of official notice is the drop dead time, because someone may actually come in to peruse the file.

"Business unfrinedly"?? those words out here come from the city commission.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. PhD Applications
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Apr 2009, 11:10 PM
  2. early applications
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Sep 2008, 7:47 PM
  3. Applications from hell
    Career Development and Advice