Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The 50 Worst Places to Live... A Rant by a Local...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

The 50 Worst Places to Live... A Rant by a Local...

What's so bad about Greeley?... from the Denver Post

Quote Originally posted by DenverPost
    "Greeley is where cows go to die and people go to kill them," writes Dave Gilmartin in his new book, "The Absolutely Worst Places to Live in America." "It is a society based on slaughter, and the smell of death hangs heavily in the air."
    Not knowing any of the other cities on the list within this book of gripes, I found this to be an intersting first paragraph as I read the Sunday Denver Post yesterday. "Wow," I thought, "Greeley made a list of worst places to live.."

So I kept reading.

Bad smell, Rednecks, nothing much to do; yep sounds like my impressions of the town while in college. But that didn't bother me while I lived there. In fact, despite not being a trendy, over designed, "loft town" I found Greeley to be a fine place to live and learn. We had plenty to do and -- you get used to the smell.

So I began to think that the author must have spent a lot of time in Greeley in order to establish this opinion (and even be able to write credibly about the town in a book). But as I read further (not too much into the article yet, mind you) I found this:
    Quote Originally posted by DenverPost
    Gilmartin selected 50 places to shellac in the book, from Philadelphia to Dodge City to Albuquerque. He'd never been to Greeley but polled Coloradans via websites like Craigslist for tips about especially unfortunate Colorado towns. All signs pointed to Greeley.
    He’d never been to Greeley. He wrote about a place to NEVER LIVE and this hack has never been there!

He did his research via Craigslist! CRAIGSLIST?! The site to look for items such as an exhaust for a 78 Firebird? A site where random folks can “hook up” and or rant about lost love? Now, I may have passed time in my college statistics class (in Ross Hall, on the Greeley Campus of the U of Northern Colorado) daydreaming about a non-existent career in the NHL or mentally undressing the girls in the class, but one thing I did gather was that a low-budget website, which is essentially a forum for cynics and people afraid to put their faces with their opinions, is NOT place to gather a representative sample for research to base one’s opinion.

Sure Greeley is a little white bread, can smell bad from time to time, and has a 25cent beer night at one of the local bars. The biggest gripe I had with the city was the lack of an ice rink (which the typically "don't tax me" Conservative voters approved a tax hike for, as well as other recreational amenities my fourth year living there). But to mark it down as one of 50 Places NOT to Live? Hardly.

I guess I would understand if the author had spent time in Greeley, lived there, or visited for an extended period of time. Formulated his opinion while going to Quarter Beer Night at the “Armpit”; visited a Mexican restaurant so authentic, the owner had to get his daughter (the only one there besides me who spoke English) to take an order; walked through Glenmere Park on a warm summer night; and taken in the charm of UNC’s Central Campus, preferably while playing some football in the snow!

But forgive me if I am upset about the fact that someone is getting published (and presumably making a profit) off of a book that is based upon loose anonymous opinion and lazy research methods. I wonder what the other cities are on the list, and if the residents (or former residents) feel the same way.
    Last edited by zman; 13 Nov 2006 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Addition of actual "thread matter"
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Huh??

Well I'd say that living in Camden, NJ would rank up there as a pretty crappy place to live.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    Huh??
    Well I'd say that living in Camden, NJ would rank up there as a pretty crappy place to live.
    ex-pat Jersey Boy agrees.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Sorry, finally got my rant in the thread.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ok.....

Gary Ind.
    Camden NJ (one of my inlaws lives there and when I visited, it didn't seem as bad as advertised )

I think there are equally bad places to live in rich neighborhoods because of the snooty factors and hoitie toitieness of those living there....I can't stand that attiude....so from that standpoint, I'd prefer in many cases to live within the so called "marginal" areas....

Would you rather live with Buffy and Biff or Bubba and Jeanie?

RJ, obviously we know where you and Rumpy stand on this.....he he he....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I wonder if Flint Michigan or Reading Pennsylvania made the list. Looking at his website, of the states available, most of the people said that they would not live in Michigan, with our current Governor and the economy here, I donít blame them.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Camden NJ (one of my inlaws lives there and when I visited, it didn't seem as bad as advertised )
    City of Camden?
    or
    Camden County, NJ

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Gary Ind.
    When I lived in Philly, I took the PATCO train over to "downtown" Camden one weekday afternoon at about 3-4pm. I came up the stairs and there was not a soul in site. All of the "stores" had their steel grates rolled down and there were no cars on any of the streets. All of a sudden a group of about 4 teenagers started looking may way and walking fast toward me. I hustled back down the stairs (which had mugger mirrors at all corners) and boarded the next train back over the Delaware River. Trenton is not much better once you get away from the state capitol.

Interestingly, Allston, Mass. is on the list of worst places to live. As a six-year Allston resident, I would have to wholeheartedly agree!

The Boston neighborhood is a treeless wasteland of 4- to 5-story 100-year-old brick walk-up apartment buildings owned by the same five slumlords. The only transit service is a horrendously overpacked plodding streetcar that takes 45 minutes to travel 5 miles downtown and a bus route that is supposed to run every 10 minutes or less but actually shows up every 45 minutes at best.

The parking supply is so limited that people actually: 1) fistfight for spaces, 2) park in other neighborhoods and take the streetcar home and 3) accept a parking fine as the cost parking overnight.

The residents are a sad collection of struggling immigrants often crowded 2-3 to a room and alcoholic college kids (also crowded 2-3 to a room) who love to scream "woo-hoo" at the top of their lungs at 3am on a Tuesday morning. Living rooms are used as bedrooms in almost every rat and roach infested apartment. The neighborhood resembles a landfill on September 1, when all of the students move in and out.

Ahhh, fond memories.
    Last edited by jmello; 13 Nov 2006 at 1:22 PM.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    ....RJ, obviously we know where you and Rumpy stand on this.....he he he....
    Damn straight we do: we stand next to the world's most beautiful beaches watching bikini clad babes and not in the middle of some god forsaken desert running from snakes. Oh wait, you know my county. Never mind.

Registered
    May 2005
    Does anybody have the full list from this book? I'm curious what other cities were mentioned?
    Regrets, I've had a few; But then again, too many to mention.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Nice View.....

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Damn straight we do: we stand next to the world's most beautiful beaches watching bikini clad babes and not in the middle of some god forsaken desert running from snakes. Oh wait, you know my county. Never mind.

Nice View I'm sure RJ.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat lady.jpg  
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by eightiesfan View post
    Does anybody have the full list from this book? I'm curious what other cities were mentioned?
    Go to: http://www.worstplacesinamerica.com/ecard/ecard.php
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I was looking for Carbon County, PA, but alas.... should be at the top of the list!
    Run down old buildings that should be cared for and preserved, public officials who are getting greasy palms and don't care "how other places do things". Sigh. Sounds a lot like Allston!
    Then again, the website showed Philadelphia as being in the far west of PA!?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    There are 80 cities on the list. This is only a few of them. I can't find the whole list, but I think that is an important part of the marketing campaign for the book.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Allston?!?

Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Interestingly, Allston, Mass. is on the list of worst places to live. As a six-year Allston resident, I would have to wholeheartedly agree!

The Boston neighborhood is a treeless wasteland of 4- to 5-story 100-year-old brick walk-up apartment buildings owned by the same five slumlords. The only transit service is a horrendously overpacked plodding streetcar that takes 45 minutes to travel 5 miles downtown and a bus route that is supposed to run every 10 minutes or less but actually shows up every 45 minutes at best.
    The residents are a sad collection of struggling immigrants often crowded 2-3 to a room and alcoholic college kids (also crowded 2-3 to a room) who love to scream "woo-hoo" at the top of their lungs at 3am on a Tuesday morning. Living rooms are used as bedrooms in almost every rat and roach infested apartment. The neighborhood resembles a landfill on September 1, when all of the students move in and out.
    They must be kidding listing Allston as one of the worst places to live.

First of all, it HAS a streetcar (that's Light Rail Transit, if you want to make it seem more modern.) Second of all, its a very vibrant place with a diverse population, yes, many of them poor, but I don't think they are all sad or struggling.

Now the college kids are a problem. But you are right near Boston and Cambridge and the Charles River. Doesn't strike me as a particularly bad place in the grand scheme of things...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    They must be kidding listing Allston as one of the worst places to live.
    Have you lived there, day in and day out?

[Not to be rude, but much of Somerville (except Davis Square) has the same miserable gray character. Except in Somerville everything has vinyl siding and the poor souls have to ride a bus for 30 minutes just to reach the streetcar or subway.]

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Who is this author? What is his methodology? What data did he gather? Is this guy for real or he is just a delusional twit?

I guess he has not been to Detroit in a while. I am sure that he would think the same thing of Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Salt Lake City made the list!!! Who takes this stuff seriously anyway?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by cololi View post
    Salt Lake City made the list!!! Who takes this stuff seriously anyway?
    I just take the reasearch seriously, not the list.

-Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    When I was in Britain there was a similar book out entitled Crap Towns http://www.amazon.com/Idler-Book-Cra...e=UTF8&s=books as well as Crap Towns II http://http://www.amazon.com/Idler-B...e=UTF8&s=books out of curioisty I looked through the books and was surprised by the list since I had visited several of them and found them to be quite pleasent cities although to be honest most European cities, especially the smaller ones are superior to American cities.

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    This fella has the nerve to include some big cities to 'vote' for:

Atlantic City, NJ
    Philadelphia, PA
    Washington DC
    Baltimore, MD
    Jacksonville, FL
    Cincinnati, OH
    Detroit, MI
    Albuquerque, NM
    Houston, TX
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Barstow, CA
    Seattle, WA

So why isn't Atlanta on the list? I demand a recount!
    Pudding will not fill the emptiness inside me... but it will help.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    AC and Barstow in the same category as Detroit and Philly? huh???
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh View post
    So why isn't Atlanta on the list? I demand a recount!
    College Park, Douglasville and Hinesville, GA are.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I'd like to read the gripes against Seattle. Besides my feelings of claustrophobia while I was there, I thought it was a neat town.

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    I'd like to read the gripes against Seattle.
    Let me guess: teenage beggars, suicides, depressing weather, yippie extremists, isolation from the rest of the U.S., etc.

But, I liked it too. One of my favorite cities.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 08 May 2010, 1:06 AM
  2. Best places in Denver to live?
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 06 Sep 2005, 4:03 PM
  3. Worst places to meet women
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26