Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The 50 Worst Places to Live... A Rant by a Local...

Registered
    Nov 2002

Keeps the Riff Raff in...

Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Have you lived there, day in and day out?

[Not to be rude, but much of Somerville (except Davis Square) has the same miserable gray character. Except in Somerville everything has vinyl siding and the poor souls have to ride a bus for 30 minutes just to reach the streetcar or subway.]
    I have not lived in Allston but know many people who have. My wife worked in the affordable housing field in Allston-Brighton for many years. There are parts that are scungy but - like most of the places on this list - nothing in the same realm as some of the old rust belt cities.

As for your comment about Somerville, if you find it miserable and gray that's your right, but the place must be doing something right when 2-family homes are going for $700,000. And that's not just near Davis Square.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    As for your comment about Somerville, if you find it miserable and gray that's your right, but the place must be doing something right when 2-family homes are going for $700,000. And that's not just near Davis Square.
    I agree. I kinda like Somerville. I went to an open house on Sunday for a nice condo in a neighborhood that used to be gray- Spring Hill- but now it seems like it's changing.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist View post
    I agree. I kinda like Somerville. I went to an open house on Sunday for a nice condo in a neighborhood that used to be gray- Spring Hill- but now it seems like it's changing.
    People live in Somerville because they can't afford Cambridge (or they go to Tufts). People live in Allston because they can't afford Back Bay or Brookline (or they go to BU or BC). Don't kid yourself.

Registered
    Nov 2002

How do you really feel?

People live in Somerville because they can't afford Cambridge (or they go to Tufts). People live in Allston because they can't afford Back Bay or Brookline (or they go to BU or BC). Don't kid yourself.
    All I can say is that I know several people who chose to live in Somerville, not Cambridge.

But that's the last I will say on it because I think you're being kind of obnoxious.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    But that's the last I will say on it because I think you're being kind of obnoxious.
    I am. I apologize.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Wow. I agree, I can't afford to buy a condo in Cambridge. I do, however, like Somerville and Arlington and think either will be just as nice- though neither are cheap.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Okay, I can see why Rock Springs is on the list. But if you are really going to start looking at communities like that, then you need to look at them all. He certainly has not done this.

Albuquerque? It is one of the most authentic southwest cities I know.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2005

The Absolutely BEST Way to Make some Quick Cash

This book is obnoxious! Here is an excerpt of the section on Philadelphia posted on a City Paper blog. IMHO, the writing is petty and just not really very good:

http://www.citypaper.net/blogs/clog/...es-in-america/

This guy must have a real desire to get people to dislike him. I can't think of a better way to insult people than to rant flippantly about how terrible their place is. If you think insulting people's favorite sports team will get you jacked up in an alley, I'd like to see what they do to this guy on his book signing tour...

There appears to be no "methodology" or concrete way to "measure" or "cross-compare" any of the criteria he is considering. Which is to say, I don't think he is measuring any criteria. As has been observed (and despite claims by the publisher that he "traveled these great lands of ours") it seems like he spent an afternoon in Craigslist forums - a potentially self-selecting environment for people looking to vent frustration (which may be rooted in their personality and not the place where they live). Very "scientific."

The publisher is promoting it as "hilarious" and "the perfect gift for friends and family who are unfortunate enough to live in Atlantic City, Detroit, Washington DC or 80 of the other cities mentioned in this book." That's a present that will go over well. "Happy Birthday - enjoy your craphole!"
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Good to see people getting fired up about his methodology.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2005

metho-what-ogy?!

Ok, I gotta let this go, but I just saw this quote from a blog of the author's friend. I found it interesting that he (the author) is only 30.

My good buddy Dave Gilmartin just published a hilarious new book called "The Absolutely Worst Places to Live in America." Dave is a brilliant mind, yet Dave is also very lazy. For this book, he left most of the work up to friends and associates, who submitted their own quotes for him to use about their least favorite locales in the bad ol' US-of-A. I'm in there four times, but if that isn't enough to tickle your interest, David Gordon Green is also quoted.
    found here: http://blogs.indiewire.com/tully/archives/011558.html

There are some interesting, mostly pissed-off, comments at the end of the page.

Its not a good sign if this is the way his friend characterizes the product...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    5 People Shot in Detroit in 10 Minute
    DETROIT -- Police searched for two suspects after a series of shootings that killed two people and wounded three others in the span of 10 minutes Thursday morning.

All the shootings were in a three- to four-block area on the city's west side, Detroit police spokesman James Tate said.
    From the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Is this just another reason/example of why ?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    It turns out my city is on the list too. Oh, well - I guess being in the company of Philadelphia and Seatle isn't too bad. I won't bother boring you all with my defense of a place no one knows about but there are much worse places in the area to pick on.

Frankly, this book would of been more entertaining if KUNSTLER wrote it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    From the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Is this just another reason/example of why ?
    The police have nabbed this guy already. These types of things are very unusual around here. Most crime here is related to exterme poverty and/or drug use. Therefore, if you do not associate with the lumpen proletariat, or flash big wads of cash, you will survive just fine in Detroit.

Detroit is really not a bad place to be, the housing stock is great, the garbage gets picked up, big parades, lots of festivals, world class museums, and sports. In fact Frommer's has it as one of its underrated favorites.

http://www.frommers.com/articles/4032.html
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Let me guess: teenage beggars, suicides, depressing weather, yippie extremists, isolation from the rest of the U.S., etc.

But, I liked it too. One of my favorite cities.
    I like Seattle too. It is kinda far from everything else, if this was Star Wars, it would be one of the Outer Rim Territories. Did I mention how expensive it is. Nice people though. I left my digital camera on the shuttle bus on the airport and I got it back after about an hour.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 08 May 2010, 1:06 AM
  2. Best places in Denver to live?
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 06 Sep 2005, 4:03 PM