Urban planning community

Poll results: What's you dream BCS championship matchup??

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michigan vs. OSU

9 31.03%
  • Michigan vs. USC

0 0%
  • Michigan vs. Florida

0 0%
  • Michigan vs. Rutgers

2 6.90%
  • Michigan vs. Notre Dame

3 10.34%
  • OSU vs. USC

2 6.90%
  • OSU vs. Florida

0 0%
  • OSU vs. Rugters

1 3.45%
  • OSU vs. Notre Dame

0 0%
  • Rutgers vs. Boise State

2 6.90%
  • Don't Care, as long as it's a well played game

10 34.48%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cyburbia's BCS Title Game

Cyburbia's BCS Title Game

Posted are the most likely matchups in regards to their current BCS rankings. Which matchup would you most like to see as the BCS championship game?
    Last edited by ssnyderjr; 13 Nov 2006 at 6:51 PM.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    C'Mon, Michigan and Notre Dame (crosses fingers...for payback time).
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    WTF? Rutgers vs. Boise State is guaranteed to not happen... EVER.

The winner of the UofM / OSU game is guaranteed a place because it is the last game for these two teams and one will finish undefeated, including beating some big name teams. It will be the winner of that game and the looser, or USC.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Rutgers vs. Mich. We lost in the NIT finals to them 3 years back and now it's time for payback on the gridiron.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I see a rematch of OSU and Michigan. I am hoping USC, ND, and Florida will all lose a game. I don't see how ND, even if they win out, can be ranked higher than the team that really beat them up pretty good.

I have to say I am going for OSU. (my great grandfather played football there in the early 1900's and I have had several family members attend). Plus, the first college game I ever went to out of state was when Utah got trampled at the horseshoe in the 80's.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Off-topic:
    Why have a “don’t care” option? If a person does not care, then why should they vote? I could see if there was an “other”, but I think too many people are just able to verbalize there apathy as a way to feel included with those who do care. But that is just my opinion.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm pulling for OSU-Rutgers, but I've pretty much resigned myself to OSU-USC because there ain't a chance in hell of Rutgers getting the nod because of schedule strength. That conference just doesn't have the reputation of, say, a Big XII despite the Big XII sucking all of the air out of the room this year.

I don't like an OSU-UM rematch. Whoever lost the first game stands a good chance of winning the second because they've adapted to the team more--the winner wouldn't know what to expect because of the other team's likely adjustments. Regardless, I believe the OSU-UM game this weekend is the NC.

Rutgers may not get it this year, but they are on the radar now. Watch for them to strengthen over the next few years.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    *cough*

ARKANSAS

*cough*
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Off-topic:
    Why have a “don’t care” option? If a person does not care, then why should they vote? I could see if there was an “other”, but I think too many people are just able to verbalize there apathy as a way to feel included with those who do care. But that is just my opinion.
    Some of us didn't attend school at any of the options, and we don't have strong feelings about the teams that are playing. However, we do like a good football game. I like to watch with my husband, because he does have strong feelings and it makes the game more exciting.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yeah.....

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    WTF? Rutgers vs. Boise State is guaranteed to not happen... EVER.

The winner of the UofM / OSU game is guaranteed a place because it is the last game for these two teams and one will finish undefeated, including beating some big name teams. It will be the winner of that game and the looser, or USC.
    Exactly why I voted for that matchup.....odd couple thing......would be cool to have two regular joe's playing in the big game
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Some of us didn't attend school at any of the options, and we don't have strong feelings about the teams that are playing. However, we do like a good football game. I like to watch with my husband, because he does have strong feelings and it makes the game more exciting.

I didn't go to either school either. I am in the Buckeye state and hear how good them bucks are every day. I am from Michigan and have been a Mich fan since I remember. I used to turn off the game if Michigan was losing and there was like a minute left. I couldn't bear (no pun intended) to watch it.
    NOTE:
    I didn't put I DON'T CARE as an option.

NOTE 2:
    Rutgers would not play Boise State unless there was a Bus Wreck totally demolishing one of the top 2 teams. Although the Smurf Turf is cool.........
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Even though Rutgers is my team I don't think that they will even be in the BCS title game unless the football universe turned upside down. I think that the most likely match up will be Michigan v. OSU or, Michigan v. USC, or OSU v. USC.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Here is how Rutgers can get into the Title game against Michigan.

The Star-Ledger has come up with a simple six-step plan for Rutgers to get to No. 2 in the final BCS standings on Dec. 3 -- which would earn coach Greg Schiano's team a spot in the national title game.

Here it is:

1. Win out.

Sounds simple enough, but it won't be easy. The 9-0 Knights are at Cincinnati on Saturday, play Syracuse at home on Nov. 25 and then get to settle the Big East title on Dec. 2 at West Virginia, where they are 0-14 all time.

2. Root for the Saturday's Ohio State-Michigan loser to take a big tumble.

The winner, of course, will be No. 1. But the loser? If it's Ohio State, the Buckeyes could take a significant drop because they would have beaten just one ranked team (two-loss Texas) all season and lost the biggest game of the year at home. Michigan's schedule is much tougher. So Rutgers wants the Wolverines to win in Columbus.

3. Hope USC stumbles once in its final three games -- but not against Notre Dame.

It could happen. The No. 3-ranked Trojans have Cal on Saturday and close at UCLA on Dec. 2. Rutgers needs them to lose one of those games, giving Pete Carroll's gang a second loss.

4. Become big fans of the SEC West Division winner.

Whether it's Arkansas or LSU -- more on that in a bit -- Rutgers needs to have that team beat Florida, the East Division winner, in the SEC title game on Dec. 2. That would be the Gators' second loss.

5. Have Notre Dame lose at USC on Nov. 25.

That would eliminate another one-loss team ahead of Rutgers in the BCS standings (the Irish are 9-1 now) -- and would pave the way for a clearer path to No. 2 for the Knights.

6. Go Hog wild for LSU on Nov. 24.

Arkansas can win the SEC West by beating Mississippi State on Saturday. But any hopes the Razorbacks have of leapfrogging Rutgers would be eliminated if they lose to 8-2 LSU the next week. Then two-loss Arkansas would need to hand Florida its second loss of the year in the SEC title game.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Just say NO!!! to a Michigan vs. OSU rematch...if you want to play for a national championship, then try winning your own conference first...

I would like to see Arkansas versus Michigan or The Ohio State University (hey, I'm an SEC guy) - McFadden versus a Big 10 defense would be worth watching.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'd love to see 2 undefeated teams play...but we all know that aint gonna happen

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    My take.....if Ohio State wins by a small margin (example, overtime), Michigan will still not go to the Championship Game. If Ohio State loses by that same small margin, voters will still place them higher than any 1-loss team (based on who has lost to who, as of today, 11-15-06), and this Saturday's big game will be played again in early January.

Sorry, Bubba.....the two best teams should play in that final game, no matter what conference they are from. We could argue forever about whether a small-single-loss Buckeye or Wolverine team would actually be "better" than a single-loss Arkansas or USC or Notre Dame or Florida.

Whatever happens, this could be the year that the NCAA finally gets out of their windowless cardboard box and develops a fair and equitable playoff system.....a system that would leave the big bowl games intact (so the promoters of those affairs still could have their New Year's Day parades and hoopla).

Go Blue !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    My take.....if Ohio State wins by a small margin (example, overtime), Michigan will still not go to the Championship Game. If Ohio State loses by that same small margin, voters will still place them higher than any 1-loss team (based on who has lost to who, as of today, 11-15-06), and this Saturday's big game will be played again in early January.

Sorry, Bubba.....the two best teams should play in that final game, no matter what conference they are from. We could argue forever about whether a small-single-loss Buckeye or Wolverine team would actually be "better" than a single-loss Arkansas or USC or Notre Dame or Florida.

Whatever happens, this could be the year that the NCAA finally gets out of their windowless cardboard box and develops a fair and equitable playoff system.....a system that would leave the big bowl games intact (so the promoters of those affairs still could have their New Year's Day parades and hoopla).

Go Blue !!!

Bear
    If nothign else, go with the top four format. Use two of the earlier bowl games, put the top four in them, then play the champoinship game later. How hard is that?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004

Go Blue !!!

Bear

I don't think they will see it. In 2004 there were 5 undefeated (USC, Oklahoma, Auburn, Utah, Boise St) teams going in to bowl games. Very easy to leave Utah and Boise St out ofthe championship game, but Auburn and the SEC had to feel pretty slighted. Remember the same year the controverys with Texas and Cal leaping frogging each other and coaches begging for votes and Boise St. getting left out. And Oklahoma demonstrated that they did not belong in the championship game that year.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Naw - it's the same arguement I use against the wild card in major league baseball - if you want to go to the playoffs, win your division (and if you want to go to the BCS championship game, win your conference).

With that said, this just drives home the need for an eight or sixteen team playoff, which would still allow Michigan a chance at the national title after they lose to Ohio State this weekend.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Cyburbia's new server
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 04 Sep 2012, 10:15 AM
  2. Cyburbia's Most Notorious
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 31 Mar 2012, 10:39 AM
  3. ArcNews Title Highlights Game
    Friday Afternoon Club