Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Orlando's Baldwin Park (no 56k)

Registered
    Jan 2005

Orlando's Baldwin Park (no 56k)

Baldwin Park in Orlando, FL is perhaps one of the best-known new urbanist redevelopment projects in the country. Formerly a naval base, when the project began in 1993 the site underwent a major demolition and cleanup. Today, buildout of the 1,100 acre site is nearly complete. All the benchmarks of new urbanism are in place here, and it lacks the stench of gimmick found in many neotraditional Florida projects. There is a viable commercial corridor where office and neighborhood-scale retail uses coexist with high residential densities. The center is within walking distance of a majority of the units, with single family neighborhoods on a secondary ring which blend in with the surrounding Winter Park neighborhood. There is ample open space and pedestrian networks, and lakes are used for both drainage and recreation.

The varied housing architecture is perhaps the most interesting feature about Baldwin Park. Colonial, Mediterranean, Craftsman, Southern Cracker, and Victorian are interspersed throughout. Odd contrasts for sure, but there is an integrity to the construction that makes it work. Open space networks serve to primarily enhance the appeal of the multifamily units, which seem to be neotraditional-european or something.

The City of Orlando deserves kudos for insisting on a project that enhances the city rather than detracts from it. The plan, which was developed through a two-year charette process, was aimed at establishing a pattern of uses and densities to reduce automobile dependency and encourage transit connections with the rest of the city. In a region with daunting growth management challenges, Baldwin Park is an important illustration of sustainable urban design.

This is all residential.

Here is the finished product.

Here again.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Great photos.

From the pictures, the overall design of the buildings is quite competent, but some of the commercial buildings in the first picutres were not.

I like that the alleys aren't designed to residential street width standards, like many TND developments I've seen.

Thanks for the introduction.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post

From the pictures, the overall design of the buildings is quite competent, but some of the commercial buildings in the first picutres were not.
    i agree- too much stucco, not enough individuality. I do like how the CVS building meets the street though.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    The uniqueness of the place really gets lost with the blandness of building materials. Hopefully at some point, consumers will start demanding better, more durable construction. The Dryvit lobby (not to take away from the other thread) must have had a field day with this one, talk about an architectural wet dream if you really like the material. Used in moderation, it can be quite nice. But when everything ends up with the same material, you've got problems - lack of variation, flatness, etc.

I haven't been to the development, but from seeing photos that would be my only knock.

Here's a few additional photos that show a little of the open space and a little more single family residential:
    http://www.sitephocus.com/search_res...Baldwin%20Park

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Orlando FL - Baldwin Park
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 01 Jul 2013, 9:39 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 5:11 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 May 2007, 9:40 AM
  4. Replies: 0