Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 251

Thread: Run, Forrest, Run....

  1. #26
    Cyburbian Jeff's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Mr. Cool Ice
    Posts
    4,161
    Here's what I always tell the peeps who come to me with the "I want to start running" questions...

    1. Hardest part is getting out the door. Get off the couch, go outside, the rest will fall into place.

    2. In the beginning, your goal should be to run, continuously, for 30 minutes. Dont worry about speed, pay no attention to "how far" you ran. Its all about time.

    3. Start with 3 10:00 run/walk intervals to get you to your 30 minute goal. 9:00 walking, 1:00 running. 4 days a week. then next week 8:00, 2:00, etc. Adjust as necessary if too easy or too hard.

    4. Come see me when you can run continuously for 30 minutes, and we'll go from there.

    ...nobody ever comes back

    The hardest part in starting a running program is the first 3 months. This is where you will decide to stick out the pain, suffering, and misery or give it up.

    it does get easier after ~3 months!! The workouts may get HARDER, and they will, but your body is adept at teh training load you are putting on it.

    Give me 3 months, I'll give you the world!!

    Luncthime....out for an easy 6.

  2. #27
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,014
    Blog entries
    2
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN, circa Nov. 2006 View post
    I go on beer runs and whiskey runs too.

    Sometimes the run includes a stop for a bucket of chicken.

    Actually, I have never been really fond of running, although in High School I was forced to run 1.5 miles once, and felt really good afterward, which I think was the "runner's high". I have been too lazy to achieve that since.

    I have thought about starting again. What do you recommend for a first timer?

    What a Difference a Year Makes...

    I knew there was a running thread somewhere here, but it took a good bit of searching to find it. Now that I have....
    As I have alluded in a couple other threads, that because of a work-sponsored weight-loss competition I have lost 14 pounds, 4 inches, and I have become the fittest that I have ever been in my life. During this program I took to running on the treadmill as a warm-up. A quick 1/2 mile turned into 1 mile which turned into 1 1/2 which turned into 2 miles. Now I have been using running as a great form of exercise and have begun to entertain the thought of running a 5k (probably a winter one, as we Coloradoans are crazy). This past weekend was my first run off of the treadmills, a 2 miler with the dog (she has much to learn herself) and it was good. I did walk a bit (due to side stitches and dog behavioral issues), but other than that I had a great workout in the morning without purchasing a lot of equipment or driving the 6 miles to the gym.

    The biggest issue facing me right now is side stitches. I was getting bad ones at first, then they went away, and then they are back-- which is now holding me back. I focus on my breathing (remember, I have less o2 up here than most Americans) and I try to focus on other things too. That doesn't seem to work. The only thing that works is stopping and walking for a short bit and then starting again (particularly when the pain moves to my right shoulder). What have some of the runners here done about this?

    I also want to welcome myself to the Cyburbia Runner's Club.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  3. #28
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,726
    Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread last year...

    Running is kind of my thing. I am probably one of the few planners who ran in college too (meaning for the university). I have found that not many architects or planner type people ran in college.... not sure why.

    I enjoy my mileage- 60-90 a week. Marathons are a different story though. 5k's and 10k's are fun and enjoyable... but marathons are bad.... ugh.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  4. #29
    Cyburbian craines's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    578
    I use to love to run now I just do the stairmaster and pretend I am moving through a pristine enviorment. I then go home to a pretend meal and sit down to a no calorie age reducing, image improving, iq increasing meal of the finest whiskeys and all the while being served by all the women I have ever met cause they all want me, that is after they get to "really" know me..of course.

    Somedays I reall enjoy my disconnect!!!!

  5. #30
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    In my early 20's I ran about 5-8 miles a day. I even trained fo a marathon, and hit around 18 miles before I blew out a knee. I can't even do stairs now, [haven't had sergury]

  6. #31
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,562
    Im currently training for my first triathlon (which is next week eek!) so i have been doing a bit of running too- i love the feel of being by yourself, some lovely scenery and the feeling of being totally buggered at the run of the run- the best feeling i reckon!!!

    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post

    The biggest issue facing me right now is side stitches. I was getting bad ones at first, then they went away, and then they are back-- which is now holding me back. I focus on my breathing (remember, I have less o2 up here than most Americans) and I try to focus on other things too. That doesn't seem to work. The only thing that works is stopping and walking for a short bit and then starting again (particularly when the pain moves to my right shoulder). What have some of the runners here done about this?
    I have always thought that if you get into a good pattern with your breathing, not over concerntrate, but be aware of it is what helps stitches- and if you ever get one you dont stop, you run them out- but i dont know how scientific/true that is...
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

  7. #32
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    2,789
    would love to do a marathon one day but my shoes feel like they loose their suspension after mile 5 or so, and all I feel is the pavement at that point. Any ideas?

  8. #33
    moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    at the neighboring pub
    Posts
    5,278
    I used to love running and ran cross-country. Lots of untreated knee ligament injuries have sidelined that hobby because my knee tends to dislocate while I'm running. However, I really enjoy cycling and swimming (lower-impact so knee will tolerate it), so the idea of a triathalon has a lot of appeal. I've been thinking about going to a doctor to see about a good quality knee brace to prevent dislocation while I'm running and potentially surgery to see about repairing the damage present.

    "Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

    - Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

  9. #34
    Member
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Student!
    Posts
    12
    I've been running ever since high school. However since I've been in uni I've stepped up my running to 15-20k 2 times a week. In terms of relieving stress, its great. Definately worth it after completing a big studio assignment. Some people say its hard to motivate yourself for running long distances, but my solution is using the Ipod nike+ counter. The stats and challenges are a definate motivator. If any of you guys have nike+ feel free to add me at alix_03@hotmail.com.

  10. #35
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    The biggest issue facing me right now is side stitches. I was getting bad ones at first, then they went away, and then they are back-- which is now holding me back. I focus on my breathing (remember, I have less o2 up here than most Americans) and I try to focus on other things too. That doesn't seem to work. The only thing that works is stopping and walking for a short bit and then starting again (particularly when the pain moves to my right shoulder). What have some of the runners here done about this?
    I don't run. Running has always been a problem for me because of my respiratory problems. But I used to walk up to 6 miles in the Mojave Desert (not that many months before I ended up bedridden). If you don't get any suggestions from anyone else, I will suggest you try taking milk thistle as a supplement and see if that does anything for it. (It's kind of an educated guess, not something I did specifically for this issue. So if you try it, I would be interested in hearing if it actually helps.)

    And congratulations on your healthier lifestyle.

  11. #36
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,726
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    What a Difference a Year Makes...

    I knew there was a running thread somewhere here, but it took a good bit of searching to find it. Now that I have....
    As I have alluded in a couple other threads, that because of a work-sponsored weight-loss competition I have lost 14 pounds, 4 inches, and I have become the fittest that I have ever been in my life. During this program I took to running on the treadmill as a warm-up. A quick 1/2 mile turned into 1 mile which turned into 1 1/2 which turned into 2 miles. Now I have been using running as a great form of exercise and have begun to entertain the thought of running a 5k (probably a winter one, as we Coloradoans are crazy). This past weekend was my first run off of the treadmills, a 2 miler with the dog (she has much to learn herself) and it was good. I did walk a bit (due to side stitches and dog behavioral issues), but other than that I had a great workout in the morning without purchasing a lot of equipment or driving the 6 miles to the gym.

    The biggest issue facing me right now is side stitches. I was getting bad ones at first, then they went away, and then they are back-- which is now holding me back. I focus on my breathing (remember, I have less o2 up here than most Americans) and I try to focus on other things too. That doesn't seem to work. The only thing that works is stopping and walking for a short bit and then starting again (particularly when the pain moves to my right shoulder). What have some of the runners here done about this?

    I also want to welcome myself to the Cyburbia Runner's Club.

    I would suggest pickle juice. I know it is odd, and some would say it is an old wives tale, but I think it works. Just try like two tablespoons fifteen minutes before you go on your run. It doesn't work on everyone, but it has worked on many. It is worth a try, even if you hate pickles.

    If that doesn't work, be sure to stretch your arms before you run. Many times it is the tightness in your shoulders or triceps that can lead to the tightening of muscles. Just some things to try. Good Luck!!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  12. #37
    Cyburbian Plus dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,339
    I've been getting more into running. I even dragged myself out to do 2.5 miles yesterday. Up until a year ago I had not been able to consistently able to run a mile without hitting a mental wall. But I did a 5k in December and just did another one in May. At the May one I had an injured knee but still tied my PR for 5ks. (I like to imagine what I could've done if I hadn't been injured.)

    Last night I took out my new little mp3 player to try to enjoy some tunes and spent most of my running adjusting the ear buds. Annoying!

    Can anyone recommend ear buds/headphones to wear while running?

  13. #38
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,726
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Can anyone recommend ear buds/headphones to wear while running?
    If you are running outside, I would strongly recommend against wearing earphones of any kind. No only do you open yourself up to being a victim, you can't hear cars, bikes, etc.

    If you are running on a treadmill I would go with earbuds, but not if you run outside. It isn't worth the risk. I have been hit by two cars running (I run a lot though) and I don't wear anything.

    Enjoy the weather, breeze, and air. Sorry to be a buzzkill....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  14. #39
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,587
    I'm going to assume Dandy likes to live dangerously Hink_Planner. And realistically alot of it depends on where exactly you are running.

    The ones I use and really like are Sennheiser mm50's.

    The nice thing about Sennhieser earbuds is they are made to have the cord wrap around the back of your head instead of your front, so they are more comfortable and don't get in your way when running.

    They cancel out the noice really well also- so don't tell Hink_Planner
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  15. #40
    Cyburbian beach_bum's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the old north state
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    If you are running outside, I would strongly recommend against wearing earphones of any kind. No only do you open yourself up to being a victim, you can't hear cars, bikes, etc.

    If you are running on a treadmill I would go with earbuds, but not if you run outside. It isn't worth the risk. I have been hit by two cars running (I run a lot though) and I don't wear anything.

    Enjoy the weather, breeze, and air. Sorry to be a buzzkill....
    Yes and you cannot hear a predator if they are coming at you from behind! I used to run with an Ipod, but now I run with clip-on mace spray I got a bright yellow one so people who might think to try something are fully aware of what I'm packing

    If you are running inside, go look at the Nike brand ear buds, they have some with a wrap that keeps them on your ears.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

  16. #41
    Cyburbian Rygor's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Posts
    2,242
    I used to be a runner after having run track in high school, then tons of running in the Army, then did it on my own through college and a few years after doing countless 5k's and 10k's. Having flat feet, though, I always had tons of foot problems, plus my knees/shins always hurt. I stopped and now I lift weights heavy twice a week instead. Believe it or not my joints feel much better now and I look and feel way better than I ever did as a runner. Not saying that anybody shouldn't run if they want to.

    Here are a few articles for the ladies out there on why weight training is way better for weight loss, however, if that is your goal:

    http://articles.elitefts.com/article...female-psyche/
    http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/04/confessions/
    http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/04/70s-big-females/
    http://www.stumptuous.com/lies-in-the-gym
    http://primitivestimulus.com/2011/04/women-and-muscle/
    http://graemethomasonline.com/ladies...r-weight-loss/

    BTW, exercise science and nutrition science is one of my things I'm passionate about, in case you couldn't tell, and I could talk more about it intelligently than I probably even could about planning topics. I personal train on the side and have been a weightlifting coach for a collegiate team for the past 6 years.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

  17. #42
    Cyburbian Plus dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,339
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    If you are running outside, I would strongly recommend against wearing earphones of any kind. ...Sorry to be a buzzkill....
    Total buzzkill. But a good point.

    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I'm going to assume Dandy likes to live dangerously Hink_Planner. And realistically alot of it depends on where exactly you are running.
    Danger is my middle name! Thanks for the suggestions. I do listen to my music quite low when running to be sure I can hear traffic plus I'm a look both ways, two or three times, kind of person.

    Rygor, I'm a firm believer in cross-training. Right now my routine is a combination of pilates, yoga, soccer, and running, with some zumba thrown in. I do still have my gym membership but haven't been in a few months. It is difficult to be inside when it is so nice outside! I too like exercise science and nutrition and have thought about becoming a personal trainer, after I open my bakery and become a pilates instructor. :p

  18. #43
    Cyburbian Rygor's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Posts
    2,242
    Dandy, absolutely cross training is a good thing. I do strongman stuff on the weekends for conditioning and overall strength work plus some interval training like sprinting and hill running. Also do some indoor rock climbing a couple times a month and have recently started learning yoga. All great stuff. Gotta hit all those energy systems!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

  19. #44
    Cyburbian SW MI Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,164
    Happy to report that I survived my first triathlon training today - 30 minutes of laps, 30 minutes on the bike, and 20 minutes of running (which, I am fully ok with admitting I had to walk a few times). Next week we are in the lake. The cold, leechy, lake.

  20. #45
    Cyburbian Plus dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,339
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Happy to report that I survived my first triathlon training today - 30 minutes of laps, 30 minutes on the bike, and 20 minutes of running (which, I am fully ok with admitting I had to walk a few times). Next week we are in the lake. The cold, leechy, lake.
    Congrats on completing day one! That's more that a lot of people can say!

  21. #46
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,698
    Here is a really tough race -

    Leadville 100
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  22. #47
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,258

    Hate the 5K

    Back a number years ago, I was pretty serious runner. Had run cross-country in HS and then reacquired the running bug in my 30's. I'd run nearly every day and raced most weekends throughout the year doing everything from 5K through marathons. In all that time, I don't remember ever enjoying the 5K. At other distances, there was the opportunity to reach a pace that balanced oxygen debt with speed until it was time for a finishing sprint. Not so with the 5K. For me, just about the time that I'd start to hit that comfort zone, the race was ending and the sprint would start.

    It was just 5K of pain. Anyone else have a better experience at that distance?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  23. #48
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,726
    So I have been running competitively since 7th grade. Junior High, High School, College, Road racing. I have accomplished lots of goals 5k under 15, 10k under 31, marathon under 3 hours.

    I don't think I have enough years left, time, or talent to get under 4 for the mile though. It is amazing when you think about it. 60 seconds per lap, 4 times. I have met two people who have ever gone under 4 minutes. When Sir Roger Bannister did it in 1954 no one ever had. Now 56 years later 250 Americans have gone under 4 minutes. With well over 1000 men beating it in the world. Steve Scott has run under 4 minutes 136 times.

    4:00:0. What an amazing number.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  24. #49
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Back a number years ago, I was pretty serious runner. Had run cross-country in HS and then reacquired the running bug in my 30's. I'd run nearly every day and raced most weekends throughout the year doing everything from 5K through marathons. In all that time, I don't remember ever enjoying the 5K. At other distances, there was the opportunity to reach a pace that balanced oxygen debt with speed until it was time for a finishing sprint. Not so with the 5K. For me, just about the time that I'd start to hit that comfort zone, the race was ending and the sprint would start.

    It was just 5K of pain. Anyone else have a better experience at that distance?
    With my new job, I have less and less time for more extended runs which I had been doing the last two years. Usually I would run 5 miles three times a week (with the ocassional 8 miler every few weeks). On a good week, I would also get 20-30 mile bike ride in. But lately, I am lucky to exercise 3 times a week (some combo of the above). And the time I have is less, so I have been running 5ks (3 miles) about twice a week and then a bike ride on a weekend day. Sometimes I don't get to the ride and do a run instead. But the thing that has changed is that my bike rides have become longer. A few weekends ago I went for a great ride way out of the city by some extinct volcanoes. A good 40 plus mile ride with over 1000 ft. of elevation. Great fun.

    At first I did find the 5k to be a little too short, but I have quickened my pace now and run it pretty hard, so I hit the stride a little earlier and feel well worn by the end. I also changed my running style about a year ago. I now do more of a barefoot style with the strike somewhere between the ball of my foot and a mid-sole strike. It really changed my running and especially my speed - I can go faster and feel less tired as it engages more muscle groups. And its great for lower stomach muscles...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

  25. #50
    Cyburbian Plus dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,339
    I signed up for the Rock 'n' Roll Mardi Gras Half-Marathon in NOLA for March 2012. I want something positive to look forward to in March and figured running would be a good focus for me. I'm on day 4 of training and yesterday I ran 1.5 miles. Go me. 15 weeks and 4 days until I need to be able to run 13.1. My only goal is to finish.

    I managed to talk the Hubby and my sister into running the half-marathon relay - that way I'll have company on my run. I hope. Neither of them are runners but they are doing it to support me. I think.

    I realize it is a bit cliche but we'll be wearing shirts in honor of Sylvie.

    As part of my training I'll be doing a 5k in December, a 5k in January, and a 10k in February. Finding a 5k and 10k in the winter in the north east will be a challenge.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast