Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Run, Forrest, Run....

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I signed up for the Rock 'n' Roll Mardi Gras Half-Marathon in NOLA for March 2012. I want something positive to look forward to in March and figured running would be a good focus for me. I'm on day 4 of training and yesterday I ran 1.5 miles. Go me. 15 weeks and 4 days until I need to be able to run 13.1. My only goal is to finish.

I managed to talk the Hubby and my sister into running the half-marathon relay - that way I'll have company on my run. I hope. Neither of them are runners but they are doing it to support me. I think.

I realize it is a bit cliche but we'll be wearing shirts in honor of Sylvie.

As part of my training I'll be doing a 5k in December, a 5k in January, and a 10k in February. Finding a 5k and 10k in the winter in the north east will be a challenge.
    Over the last few years in Michigan, I've noticed more and more Holiday-related 5Ks springing up, so it's usually been fairly easy to find a race during Thanksgiving and Xmas. I've never run one in January or February though.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Over the last few years in Michigan, I've noticed more and more Holiday-related 5Ks springing up, so it's usually been fairly easy to find a race during Thanksgiving and Xmas. I've never run one in January or February though.
    Yes, I'll be running the "It's a Wonderful Run" in Seneca Falls in mid-December. The Jan and Feb ones will be difficult, unless I fly to AZ or CA - which would be fine if I could afford it.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I signed up for the Rock 'n' Roll Mardi Gras Half-Marathon in NOLA for March 2012. I want something positive to look forward to in March and figured running would be a good focus for me. I'm on day 4 of training and yesterday I ran 1.5 miles. Go me. 15 weeks and 4 days until I need to be able to run 13.1. My only goal is to finish.

I managed to talk the Hubby and my sister into running the half-marathon relay - that way I'll have company on my run. I hope. Neither of them are runners but they are doing it to support me. I think.

I realize it is a bit cliche but we'll be wearing shirts in honor of Sylvie.

As part of my training I'll be doing a 5k in December, a 5k in January, and a 10k in February. Finding a 5k and 10k in the winter in the north east will be a challenge.
    That's great dandy! I just signed up for my very first marathon and have been doing the training (13 miles on Sat ) I am running the National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer in Florida in Feb in honor of a dear friend's mom who just passed away from Breast Cancer. Good luck with your training!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    That's great dandy! I just signed up for my very first marathon and have been doing the training (13 miles on Sat ) I am running the National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer in Florida in Feb in honor of a dear friend's mom who just passed away from Breast Cancer. Good luck with your training!
    Good luck on the marathon! I'm very envious of those who are capable of running the marathon. I hope you do well and I think it is a great way to honor your friend's mother. Definitely let us know how the training is going and how you do in the race!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Good luck on the marathon! I'm very envious of those who are capable of running the marathon. I hope you do well and I think it is a great way to honor your friend's mother. Definitely let us know how the training is going and how you do in the race!
    I'm not sure I can run a marathon just yet really the toughest part is staying injury-free so far. I'll update this thread every now and again and let you all know how its going and most importantly when I finish the race!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Yes, I'll be running the "It's a Wonderful Run" in Seneca Falls in mid-December. The Jan and Feb ones will be difficult, unless I fly to AZ or CA - which would be fine if I could afford it.
    My local Y has indoor triathlons, indoor 5ks, other crazy activities. (Zumba dance parties, on a Friday night, when there's a perfectly good contra dance with live music! and men! not far away. YMMZ)

Try friending some local runners; they'll know what's happening when.

(going tuba dancing on Saturday)

Registered
    May 2005
    Well, now I'm excited to go for a run! I've never run as far as a marathon or even half marathon, even thouh I run regularly. The longest single run I have ever done was about 10 miles. But I love the trifecta of running, biking and swimming so I am looking for a triathlon to do in the spring. I did one, a "sprint," which really wasn't as hard as I imagined. 5k run, 20k ride, 400 meter swim.

Good for all you marathoners! I have contemplated the rock-n-roll 1/2 marathon before - there is one in Texas and Arizona that are within shot. They look like a blast and I know someone who has done them and they said it was really a great experience.

Run on!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Well, now I'm excited to go for a run! I've never run as far as a marathon or even half marathon, even thouh I run regularly. The longest single run I have ever done was about 10 miles. But I love the trifecta of running, biking and swimming so I am looking for a triathlon to do in the spring. I did one, a "sprint," which really wasn't as hard as I imagined. 5k run, 20k ride, 400 meter swim.

Good for all you marathoners! I have contemplated the rock-n-roll 1/2 marathon before - there is one in Texas and Arizona that are within shot. They look like a blast and I know someone who has done them and they said it was really a great experience.

Run on!
    We'll see how I do at the 1/2 in NOLA. If I survive the training and the race, maybe I can talk the Hubby into the r-n-r in Arizona and we can meet up.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I would suggest pickle juice. I know it is odd, and some would say it is an old wives tale, but I think it works. Just try like two tablespoons fifteen minutes before you go on your run. It doesn't work on everyone, but it has worked on many. It is worth a try, even if you hate pickles.

If that doesn't work, be sure to stretch your arms before you run. Many times it is the tightness in your shoulders or triceps that can lead to the tightening of muscles. Just some things to try. Good Luck!!
    http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/chom...k-pickle-juice

Hmm.... what do I know?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    The Dallas White Rock Marathon is this Sunday. The forecast is rain with the high temp in the low 40's. I lost my enthusiasm for running marathons a number of years ago after running this race in the rain and a 37 degree temp. Hypothermia and marathons are not a good combination.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yesterday was the It's a Wonderful Rn in Seneca Falls. Hubby ran it with me and beat me by about a minute!! This is the first 5k where he continuously ran the entire race. I'm so proud of him. He and my sister are teaming up for the relay version of the 1/2 marathon in NOLA so this was a good start for him.

Tomorrow my official training begins for my half marathon. I'm nervous but excited.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Tomorrow my official training begins for my half marathon. I'm nervous but excited.
    Yay! I did a 16 mile training run this weekend...and I'm still a bit sore, but it feels good to accomplish such a long training run. I've been trying out a variety of different on the run training foods...let me know if you try any of them (power gels, clif blocs, etc). I'm looking to compare notes.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    The Dallas White Rock Marathon is this Sunday. The forecast is rain with the high temp in the low 40's. I lost my enthusiasm for running marathons a number of years ago after running this race in the rain and a 37 degree temp. Hypothermia and marathons are not a good combination.
    Hubby ran the half again this year - it's 5 years in a row, I believe. It's the first year I wasn't at the finish line. I had a real bad cold, and hanging around in the rain and really cold temps wasn't going to happen. Even after the post-race activities and drive home, his shoes, sock, and gloves were still wet. And very cold. His hat was a goner.

There's a r-n-r half marathon coming up. If you all can make it, the Dallas one is a blast!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think there are 7 or more Running Cyburbians. Might I suggest entering a Cyburbia team for this event in 2013? The Seneca 7 - one day, 7 team members, 77.7 miles.

Some friends and I signed up for this year's race.

There are plenty of wineries around for a post-race laefest!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think there are 7 or more Running Cyburbians. Might I suggest entering a Cyburbia team for this event in 2013? The Seneca 7 - one day, 7 team members, 77.7 miles.

Some friends and I signed up for this year's race.

There are plenty of wineries around for a post-race laefest!
    I would love to do that... if only I lived in NY. I have done the Great Lakes Relay (http://www.greatlakesrelay.com/) numerous times with guys I ran with in college. These types of events are always lots of fun.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Anyone else have trouble running outside as opposed to on a treadmill? Started running inside on treadmill a year ago and didn't have any problems, but ran into huge issues with my periformis muscle when I did the tri-training last year (which was outside). The pain was excrutiating, and stretching, muscle relaxers, etc. weren't working so I took a break from running entirely. I started back up again a month or so ago on the treadmill and haven't had a problem.

(And when I say I "run" it's definately nothing long distance at this point, I would have to put in effort to complete a 5K. But I'm very happy with that considering a year ago I couldn't run a mile.)

I want to do the tri-training again this year, but very scared it's going to be again be an issue and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I would love to do that... if only I lived in NY. I have done the Great Lakes Relay (http://www.greatlakesrelay.com/) numerous times with guys I ran with in college. These types of events are always lots of fun.
    Lucky for you there are hotels in NY! Come for the weekend? Plunk the wife and kids at a hotel/inn by the lake and let them splash around while you run around the lake.

SW MI Planner, I have the opposite problem, I can't run for long distances on the treadmill. I think that is because at this point I'm still working on establishing my pace. Where do you run outside, on the road, grass, a track? Maybe the terrain is giving you issues.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Started running inside on treadmill a year ago and didn't have any problems, but ran into huge issues with my periformis muscle when I did the tri-training last year (which was outside).
    Just say it... your butt hurt Good article on Running Times a couple years ago about that... http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx...m=&CategoryID=

Personally, I have found that stretching really helps. Also counter training the muscle groups (working the hamstrings and quads) to better balance out your legs helps. I have heard about surgery, but most people can "fix" it with consistent stretching.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Anyone else have trouble running outside as opposed to on a treadmill? Started running inside on treadmill a year ago and didn't have any problems, but ran into huge issues with my periformis muscle when I did the tri-training last year (which was outside). The pain was excrutiating, and stretching, muscle relaxers, etc. weren't working so I took a break from running entirely. I started back up again a month or so ago on the treadmill and haven't had a problem.
    A little over a year ago I started running differently – more of the barefoot style, though still wearing shoes. And not those crazy toe-shoes. Its been really great as far as minimizing injuries and improving my running in general. But it is a very mentally active way of running, probably because it requires undoing a lot of things I learned about how I “should” be running over the years. Anyway, its made me much more aware of how I run in different terrains, different distances, speeds, etc.

So, I am wondering if the way you run on a treadmill is different enough from outside and that is what is creating the problem. In one scenario, the earth is moving under you and you work to keep pace with it. Outside, you have to propel yourself and I imagine this engages some different muscle groups – especially the butt muscles that provide that extra propulsion at the end of a stride – the kick when you lift you leg up before bringing it forward. So, it could be that you strained some muscles when you went outside to run because you were working a muscle group not usually engaged on the treadmill. It would be worth comparing both running styles just to see if you can feel the strain in one scenario and not the other. Nothing too exhasting - just do each for 5 minutes or so and think about the muscles you are using and how they feel. But careful not to reinjure! This will help tell you what muscle groups are being strained. You definitely just need to let strains heal with rest, so if that is the case, don't overdo it or you will just keep injuring it.

Otherwise, I find stretching to be so very important. Not as a cure to a pulled muscle, but as prevention. I stretch usually before AND after a run, ride or swim. My body is much happier as a result and it really does help prevent injuries (and general soreness). You don’t want to overdo it, of course, even a light stretch, if you hit the right muscles, will help a lot. I found some nice videos online (not sure where – maybe Active.com?) that gave me some great running and biking related stretches. It was immensely helpful and the videos are very clear.

For runners, the butt muscles and lower back tend to get very big and tight. Making sure these muscles are well stretched will help prevent problems elsewhere. If you are too tight there, not only can those areas start to cause pains, but other areas as well as the body tries to compensate.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Thanks for the link, I'll check it out! Yah, it literally is a pain in the ass It really sucks When I was running outside it was on a paved linear trail. I read online that the even the slight grade of a roadway or trail can cause problems. And Wahday brings up a great point that I'm probably running differently, have to propel myself along as opposed to having it done for me. I feel like I am all healed up now, so come spring I will stretch good before going out and test both ways out to see if I can figure out a difference in the two.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I did a big 20 mile run yesterday in preparation for my marathon in, 33 days, gulp, what have I gotten myself into.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Excellent work, beach_bum! How did it feel? Where did you run?

I'm having similar gulps regarding my 1/2 marathon!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I'm not going to pretend it wasn't tough...I'm still a bit sore from the pounding on my ankles today, but my muscles feel fine. After mile 17 or so its a matter keeping yourself going with fuel, water and not stopping. I ran around where I live, I am lucky to live near the rich area of town and there is an extensive greenway, sidewalk and trail network that is well maintained, so that is where I ran. Highlight of my run yesterday (besides Ice, Ice Baby and Motown Philly coming up on my pandora station) was a lady who let me do tricks with her dog as I was running by. Go dandy!

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I did a big 20 mile run yesterday in preparation for my marathon in, 33 days, gulp, what have I gotten myself into.
    Hey, if you did that, I don't think you will have any trouble at the race. I've never done anything that big, but I did do a mini-tri two years ago. I was amazed at the degree to which, on race day, the excitement and comraderie carries you through. You'll do great, I predict. Rock on!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I will be signing up for the Warrior Dash here in Sydney in Feb. I havent run since March- so i better start soon!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast