Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Run, Forrest, Run....

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    For the want of 2 good knees I would consider it but was a ski bum who never went to a doctor for over 6 yrs.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    WSU_MUP's post on RTDNTOTO made me think about running shoes. What brand/style do you wear? For year's I've been wearing Asics 1000 or 2000 series. I've always loved them except for my last two pairs. They take forever to break in and then they are good for about 1 month before I feel as if I need a new pair.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I've never even seen this thread. I don't know how I missed it.

For those dying to know, here's the post Dandy was referring to:
    I've decided my running shoes stink so bad that maybe I should look into purchasing a new pair before I fly to Florida in a few weeks. I really don't want to put those stinky things in with the rest of my luggage.

The last 2 pair of shoes I've had have been New Balance. Both were a very minimalist and lightweight shoe. I think the model is 790, but the one that currently comes up for that doesn't look the same as what I am used to. The ones I have look closer to the 110 trail shoes. These shoes have been great for me and I've gotten about 1,500 miles out of my current pair. My only problem with them is that since I've moved a few years ago and now run much more on pavement than trails or dirt roads, the tread has worn down quicker than I like.

I think I'm going to stop at one of the local running stores either this evening after work or tomorrow and get professionally fitted since it's been a very looooooong time since I've done that. I've never really been a fan of Nike's but I've been wanting to try out the Nike Free for quite some time. I also like what I've heard about the NB Minimus, even though they are so new.

In the past, I've tried Asics, Brooks, and Sauconey and have had varying degrees of satisfaction with each - nothing that would make me really want to go back to any of them.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    WSU_MUP's post on RTDNTOTO made me think about running shoes. What brand/style do you wear? For year's I've been wearing Asics 1000 or 2000 series. I've always loved them except for my last two pairs. They take forever to break in and then they are good for about 1 month before I feel as if I need a new pair.
    I run in Asics as well, though recently someone gave me a brand new pair of Saucony's that are super light. I wear those for shorter runs. They don't have as much support (lateral - its really easy to twist the shoe and sole) so I don't like them as much for longer runs. And they don't fit my foot as well. For longer runs I wear the Asics. Don't recall what model, but they have a much stiffer sole which I prefer, especially on trails (though I don't run off pavement all that often). A long run for me is 6 miles, a short one is 3.

I have been considering a pair of Nike Frees since I changed my running style, but if people keep giving me free shoes, that probably won't happen too soon. I do find also that running "barefoot" style wears out my shoes less so they last a lot longer.

Lately I have been mountain biking a lot more and swimming. Its partly the season as I don't mind biking in the cold when on trails - I stay plent warm and don't get the continuous blast of cold as on a road bike - and there are very few people out, so its great. I mainly ride in the forested area along the Rio Grande. Its pretty much flat, but some great, squirrelly trails that are a real workout. A good ride is about 4 hours.

Considering a triathlon in March, but we'll see if the date works first. I've only done that once (and it was the same race I am considering) and its a "sprint," so the shortest distances on each leg. But it was fun to train for.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I do longer runs in Brooks and most normal runs in Asics. I have found the Brooks provide a much better base and stability for longer runs.

I go through 4 pairs of shoes at least a year. Last year I ran over 1500 miles. I am hoping to break 500 this year....lol damn kids.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I do longer runs in Brooks and most normal runs in Asics. I have found the Brooks provide a much better base and stability for longer runs.

Brooks were always my first choice, just seemed to fit my feet better than anything else. Used them for both training and racing anything up to marathons. They really became my favorites when I had a pair break down quicker than expected so I mailed them back to Brooks with a complaint letter. About two weeks later, I received a new pair.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Mizuno lover here...I have a bit of a wider fore-foot so the Wide shoes is perfect for me. Light and provide stability.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Started off with Asics, moved to New Balance and now have a pair of Sauconys. I think I have the same issue with them as others and will switch back to New Balance for my next pair. Whenever I get off my butt and start running again that is...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    7 miles yesterday, baby! Booooyah!!! I know it might not seem like a lot to some, but it is a PR! Woot! And I enjoyed doing it! Woot woot! I was having a mental block against running 6 miles so I ran 7 instead.

This weekend I also read Born to Run by Christopher Macdougall. It was so inspirational! That book helped me past the mental block and for the moment has changed my philosophy on running.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    7 miles yesterday, baby! Booooyah!!! I know it might not seem like a lot to some, but it is a PR! Woot! And I enjoyed doing it! Woot woot! I was having a mental block against running 6 miles so I ran 7 instead.

This weekend I also read Born to Run by Christopher Macdougall. It was so inspirational! That book helped me past the mental block and for the moment has changed my philosophy on running.
    Woohoo, I love that attitude! I ran my last big training run for the marathon yesterday, 15 miles...can't wait for the training to be over and just get on with this marathon.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Just updating everyone...marathon is this weekend, Sunday

I'm ready to go, hopefully I won't die...but I'll update this thread and let you all know if I make it

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post

I'm ready to go, hopefully I won't die...but I'll update this thread and let you all know if I make it
    Good luck! Set everything up the night before so you can enjoy the morning. You will do great!!! Have fun!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006

Good Luck! Don't get caught up in the race start adrenalin rush. Just go out nice and sloooooooow and easy. It will pay off later.

Registered
    Aug 2005

Oh my goodness! I can't believe it is this weekend. Best of luck! We'll be cheering for you! Let us know how it goes.

This Sunday I'm running my first 10k. My hip flexor has been nagging me since last Sunday's 8-miler so I'm a little concerned how it will impact this race and the rest of my training.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Started off with Asics, moved to New Balance and now have a pair of Sauconys. I think I have the same issue with them as others and will switch back to New Balance for my next pair. Whenever I get off my butt and start running again that is...
    Saucony Shadow 6000's for nearly 20 years.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    Saucony Shadow 6000's for nearly 20 years.
    Must not put in many miles if they've lasted for 20 years.

Registered
    Aug 2005

How was the marathon? I thought about you as I was fighting the bitter cold and gale force winds during my 10k.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    How was the marathon? I thought about you as I was fighting the bitter cold and gale force winds during my 10k.
    Oh, thank you so much, the wind was relentless for the race and quite chilly for Florida (upper 30s to start!). Also, it was partially on the beach, so we got a face full of wind AND sand. The good: finished my first marathon, the race was so inspiring and everything was decorated pink! All the homes and businesses along the route had pink ballons, streamers, I even saw pink flamingos! The bad: even though I was wearing well broken in shoes and socks I had worn many times, I got 2 massive blisters one on the ball of each foot. So painful! My time was ok, I think I could do better, especiallyi if I wasn't contending with the blisters. I even named my blisters Fred and Barney at some point in the race.

Hope your 10k went great and you are nice and warm by now!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Oh, thank you so much, the wind was relentless for the race and quite chilly for Florida (upper 30s to start!). Also, it was partially on the beach, so we got a face full of wind AND sand. The good: finished my first marathon, the race was so inspiring and everything was decorated pink! All the homes and businesses along the route had pink ballons, streamers, I even saw pink flamingos! The bad: even though I was wearing well broken in shoes and socks I had worn many times, I got 2 massive blisters one on the ball of each foot. So painful! My time was ok, I think I could do better, especiallyi if I wasn't contending with the blisters. I even named my blisters Fred and Barney at some point in the race.

Congrats! I won't say that they get easier but you'll know what to expect the next time. Next time, grease up the feet with vaseline. Doesn't hurt to use it anywhere that you might have some chafing. Much better than blisters or bleeding. If you were wearing cotton socks, switch to wool or a synthetic blend.

Registered
    Jan 2005

You finished! That is really the main goal, so don't worry about the time. Blisters go away. You can now say you finished a marathon!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Nice job beach_bum, that is a huge accomplishment!

Registered
    Aug 2005

Woo hoo!! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! S

Registered
    Aug 2005
    My race is on Sunday! I'm getting nervous. Last Saturday I ran 11 miles in 30mph winds and survived. My legs felt like lead at a few points but I finished. This week is my tapering week. I went for a 4 mile run in DC on Monday. Today is a 3 mile run and then I'll probably go for a 2 mile run tomorrow and then that's it until Sunday. We leave for NOLA on Friday. Yay! Weather is supposed to be in the 70s when we're there and in the low 60s for race day. That's quite a change from the 20-30F weather I've been training in!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    My race is on Sunday! I'm getting nervous. Last Saturday I ran 11 miles in 30mph winds and survived. My legs felt like lead at a few points but I finished. This week is my tapering week. I went for a 4 mile run in DC on Monday. Today is a 3 mile run and then I'll probably go for a 2 mile run tomorrow and then that's it until Sunday. We leave for NOLA on Friday. Yay! Weather is supposed to be in the 70s when we're there and in the low 60s for race day. That's quite a change from the 20-30F weather I've been training in!
    Good Luck dandy! Sounds like great running weather and great after running weather for going out

Registered
    May 2005
    Perfect race day weather! As someone who has done tapers for a few different sports, I can attest to their effectiveness! You'll feel like a million bucks. At least part of the way...

Go get 'em!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast