Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Run, Forrest, Run....

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Dandy....just thinking of you and wondering how your race went. Hope you did well and the weather cooperated!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The race was great! I finished and got my bling. I felt pretty good during the race. I was slower than I hoped at the beginning but it left me with an awesome kick at the end! NOLA was a great place to run. The course was flat and picturesque. The runners, the volunteers, the city, and the musicians were all great. If anyone is looking for a 1/2 or full marathon I would highly recommend this race.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    It was 52ļ at 5:00 a.m. today so it was perfect pre-work running weather. This was the first time this year I was able to get out there and run before work and I got in just under 7 miles in about 56 minutes. Unfortunately, I don't think the weather will be nice enough to do it again Thursday or Friday before work.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Nice job Dandy!

My sister and I are doing an 8 mile race around Mackinac Island in September. Flat, beautiful views of Lake Huron and the bridge. I've never done a race before, so very nervous. Especially since I injured myself running outside last year.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Corktown 5k

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    I'm always tempted to do it but never follow through. If they had a 10k option I'd be more likely to. I just hate the idea of driving all the way down there to just run three miles - especially since I don't really care about the festivities afterwards.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2007
    There was perfect weather for running this weekend. I got in a 12 mile run yesterday - I had found online exactly where Mitt Romney's house was when he was growing up in the Detroit 'burbs so I decided to run past that... Of course the big houses are cool to look at and all but the best part of those neighborhoods, running wise, is that they are the only spots in the area that I can get to without driving that have both hills AND dirt roads. It's a nice change of pace from running on sidewalks or asphalt and concrete roads.

Registered
    May 2005
    My wife and I have been out running 3 times in the last week. We're not signed up for any races yet, but are just getting back into the mix after not running for a few months.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yesterday it was cool in the morning but quickly warmed up into the 70s. I managed to get an 8 mile run in before it got too hot. It is already very buggy. I swallowed one or two. I need to work on running with my mouth closed.

In the cooler weather I wasn't too concerned about dehydrating but now that it is warming up I'm worried that I'm going to do some damage. Do you guys run with water? If so, do you carry it in your hand, on a belt, in a camelback?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Yesterday it was cool in the morning but quickly warmed up into the 70s. I managed to get an 8 mile run in before it got too hot. It is already very buggy. I swallowed one or two. I need to work on running with my mouth closed.

In the cooler weather I wasn't too concerned about dehydrating but now that it is warming up I'm worried that I'm going to do some damage. Do you guys run with water? If so, do you carry it in your hand, on a belt, in a camelback?
    I hear you on the bugs. It seems really bad this year already. I'm hoping for a quick cold snap of a few sub-freezing days to get rid of a bunch of them.

Regarding water... I tried running with a Camelback when I was in the Marine Corps but never liked them because I didn't like the weight on my back when full and didn't like the sloshing around of it when it was half-full. I also didn't like having to worry about cleaning the hose and nozzle which would get gross pretty quickly. I've never tried the belts but they just look like they don't really hold enough to make it worth while. I solved my hydration issue by just drinking a lot of water throughout the day. I normally go through between 1.5 - 2 gallons of water just sitting at my desk each day through the late fall and winter and then between 2 and 3 gallons of water a day the rest of the year. In the hottest part of summer, it's not uncommon for me to put down 4 or 5 gallons of water a day. And yes, all this water leads me to sweat like a harry old Armenian man in a sauna and when I pee, it's usually the color of the water coming out of the kitchen faucet. But hey, like I said, I don't worry about hydration too often when I am out running!

Registered
    May 2005
    I generally run either a 3 mile or 6 mile circuit and I really donít worry about water at those distances. Maybe once you get up over that it makes more of a difference to keep hydrated, but the most I have run is something like 11 miles and that was only once. Drinking and eating while exercising is definitely something I have had to get used to. I go for some pretty long bike rides (3-5 hours depending) and I definitely need to eat something after about 2-2 Ĺ hours or Iíll bonk. My body is more used to it now, but when I started going for these longer outings, it all went down pretty hard. And drinking is essential at those distances (and where I live since its so dry). I wear a camelback when I ride. I prefer it to the bottles in cages on the bike. I can also stuff any light gear I need in the pockets (tools, patch kit, food bar, pump). I imagine running with those could be tricky if it doesnít have a belt to fasten the lower part. But I havenít ever tried, so maybe it wouldnít jump around as much as I imagine.

Iíve been thinking about trying some longer runs down on the dirt trails along the river and was also wondering what to do for water. Maybe Iíll try the camelback down there this week. I donít really like the belt things. They look uncomfortable to me.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Hi all you runners! Iím glad this thread exists, Iíve just started running because my sister convinced me to do the ďRun for Your LifeĒ zombie chase/obstacle course in October. Itís pretty goofy, but it sounds like fun. Iím not quite sure how to train for evading zombies, though. Iím going to do a regular 5K sometime this summer to see how I fare. I enjoy other forms of exercise but havenít run for the sake of running since joining the track team in 9th grade, when I wasnít fast enough for the sprint/relay teams so was put on the long-distance team, and was actually lapped during one of the meets. Fortunately my team members werenít counting on my points to win the meet. Anyway, happy running!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The perfect weather allowed me to get in a 4.25 mile run around the office campus at lunchtime (well, two laps of about 2.15 miles each). I also managed to get in a little over four miles this morning before work and 3.75 miles last night after work. I'm taking advantage of the summer-like temperatures while they last...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    The perfect weather allowed me to get in a 4.25 mile run around the office campus at lunchtime (well, two laps of about 2.15 miles each). I also managed to get in a little over four miles this morning before work and 3.75 miles last night after work. I'm taking advantage of the summer-like temperatures while they last...
    Personal question, but how do you manage to run at lunch and then go back to work? In an earlier post you mention that by staying well-hydrated you also sweat like a fiend, do you sweat during these lunch-time runs? Are there showers at work? Or do you just slap on some extra deodorant, cologne, and hope no one notices?

I've always been interested in running or exercising at lunch but I worry about the sweat/stink factor.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Personal question, but how do you manage to run at lunch and then go back to work? In an earlier post you mention that by staying well-hydrated you also sweat like a fiend, do you sweat during these lunch-time runs? Are there showers at work? Or do you just slap on some extra deodorant, cologne, and hope no one notices?

I've always been interested in running or exercising at lunch but I worry about the sweat/stink factor.
    We have a shower facility at our office. If we didn't have it, I would not run during my lunches. Once I'm done running, I usually take 5 - 10 minutes to walk around in the shade outside and drink water and that helps me to cool down and stop my sweating before I hit the showers.

Registered
    Jul 2007

I have tried to run at lunch, but we dont have showers and it can be really hot in the South in the spring/summer/early fall and I am not able to look like I didn't just work out after that. I do a yoga class and a body sculpting class once a week during lunch with some of my co-workers. I might get a little sweaty, but not like running at high noon.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2002

Gear recommendations?

Any good suggestions for earbuds for running? I have bose ones right now and none of the sizes seem to work, always at least one that likes to slip out after I start sweating. I've bought a few other kinds, but have the same problem.

Any good suggestions for headbands that don't slip? The Goody brand ones with the "no slip grip" still slip off the back of my head.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Any good suggestions for earbuds for running? I have bose ones right now and none of the sizes seem to work, always at least one that likes to slip out after I start sweating. I've bought a few other kinds, but have the same problem.

Any good suggestions for headbands that don't slip? The Goody brand ones with the "no slip grip" still slip off the back of my head.
    If you run with earbuds in both ears, you're just asking for trouble. We've already had one runner killed in a bike/runner collision because she didn't hear the bike and wandered in front of it. FWIW, staples will secure both the earbuds and headband.
    ďDeath comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.Ē

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I use the cheap ear buds that I got with my iPods or iPhone. I've never had a problem with them and they can play the music clear enough that I can actually understand it without having to turn it up too loud. I've tried higher end ear buds from JVC and Sony and I do not care for the rubberized pieces on them - although the sound is better from those ear buds, they seem to make it difficult for the buds to fit in my ear without falling out every couple minutes.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    If you run with earbuds in both ears, you're just asking for trouble. We've already had one runner killed in a bike/runner collision because she didn't hear the bike and wandered in front of it. FWIW, staples will secure both the earbuds and headband.
    I mainly run inside on a treadmill and get completely bored. If running outside I think I would forego the ipod because of the collision issue you mentioned as well as the fear that running through the woods I would get accosted by a knife wielding maniac. (Kind of kidding, kind of not).

Registered
    Feb 2005
    These aren't earbuds, but these foldable Sony sport headphones work great for me. I've had a couple pairs of them over the years and they never slip off or make my ear canals feel kind of... tired or stretched out like ear buds do.

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/4503...ws/reviews.htm

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My favorite time to run each day is early early in the morning, usually starting around 4:45 or 5:00 a.m. I like it because it's very peaceful and quiet, yet there are still quite a few runners, walkers, and dog walkers out that early in my neck of the woods. I also like it because if I run through our downtown area, it's like a totally different world seeing deliveries being made, street sweepers going down the street, shopkeepers opening up, etc. Lastly I like it because after a couple of miles, the sun is mostly up already (at least it is in June, July and August).

However, about five or six times now over the past couple of weeks, I've decided to go run between 7:00 - 10:00 in the evening. I've been running the same 5 mile route most evenings and I can do it in about 8 or 9 minutes less than when I do the same exact route early in the morning. I imagine that it just stems from my body being more limbered up and warmed up but it surprised me just how much of a difference it can make. I don't think I'll permanently switch my early morning runs for late evening runs, but I'll definitely try to get in a few extra ones each week.

Does anybody else notice a significant difference in their speed, pace, or stamina at different times of the day?

Registered
    May 2005
    My favorite time to run each day is early early in the morning, usually starting around 4:45 or 5:00 a.m. I like it because it's very peaceful and quiet, yet there are still quite a few runners, walkers, and dog walkers out that early in my neck of the woods. I also like it because if I run through our downtown area, it's like a totally different world seeing deliveries being made, street sweepers going down the street, shopkeepers opening up, etc. Lastly I like it because after a couple of miles, the sun is mostly up already (at least it is in June, July and August).

However, about five or six times now over the past couple of weeks, I've decided to go run between 7:00 - 10:00 in the evening. I've been running the same 5 mile route most evenings and I can do it in about 8 or 9 minutes less than when I do the same exact route early in the morning. I imagine that it just stems from my body being more limbered up and warmed up but it surprised me just how much of a difference it can make. I don't think I'll permanently switch my early morning runs for late evening runs, but I'll definitely try to get in a few extra ones each week.

Does anybody else notice a significant difference in their speed, pace, or stamina at different times of the day?
    Definitely. I am not a morning person when it comes to working out. I think part of it is that working out also serves as a stress reliever for me. I don't have any stress when I wake up. I have it at the end of the day.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Wasn't easy but I always preferred morning running. It was an energy builder for me. Alcohol was my preferred after work stress reliever and that didn't match up well with afternoon/evening runs.
    ďDeath comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.Ē

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I haven't really found that timing matters much, but weather surely does. If it is a bit cooler in the morning it might just be that your body is as ready to go as in the afternoon or evening when it is a bit hotter.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast