Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why no Canadian Tire stores in the US?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Why no Canadian Tire stores in the US?

Canadian Tire is a Canadian retail institution that really has no equivalent south of the border - a big box store that's a little bit Pep Boys, a little bit Home Depot, a little bit Bed Bath and Beyond, a little bit Dick's Sporting Goods, a little bit Gander Mountain.

Considering how there's no shortage of US retail chains in Canada, and that Canadian restaurant chains have some operations south of the border -- mainly in Buffalo -- it seems like there are few barriers stopping Canadian Tire from entering the US retail market. Still, there's none of them on American soil, and as far as I know there have never been any plans to follow the country's comedians, television news reporters and hockey players into the States.

How come Canadian Tire never expanded into the United States? Patriotism? Studies showing that Americans won't accept such a retail concept? Something else?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Dan, obviously you've never been to Farm and Fleet.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    Dan, obviously you've never been to Farm and Fleet.
    Stores like that and Tractor Supply, though, aren't in urban area. Canadian Tire is more like an urbanized version of the concept.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Obvious... because it's called Canadian Tire and not US Tire... duh.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We used to have Western Auto, which sounds similar from your description, but I haven't seen one of those in 20 years.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Ever since the first wave of invasion led by Canadian General Celine Dion, too many Americans are fearful of a complete take over by Canada. Canadian Tire would be seen as another wave in an effort take over in creation of the Empire of Canakastan!

Fear the Leaf!

We do think you for Shania Twain.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Stores like that and Tractor Supply, though, aren't in urban area. Canadian Tire is more like an urbanized version of the concept.
    I don't know, Tractor Supply and Mills Fleet Farm (a clone of Farm and Fleet) both have stores well within the urbanized Appleton area. Fleet Farm just opened a MASSIVE store, on a size par with a Wal*Mart Supercenter, here, too.

Mike

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    [url="http://www.canadiantire.ca/welcome.jsp"]
    How come Canadian Tire never expanded into the United States? Patriotism? Studies showing that Americans won't accept such a retail concept? Something else?
    Maybe because they don't have regular wear auto parts like:
    Muffler Belts
    Power Mirror Fluid
    Carbeourator chains
    Mud flap pulleys
    Spare Tire regulators
    Glove box sensors
    Alternator Plug wires

to begin with, shall I go on (oh yeah, there's more)??????
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    How come canada tire makes you put in a zip code, and my zip code is only a few miles from a Canada Tire, but I get an error message because it is not a canadian zip-code?

I used to go to Canada Tire as a boy to buy Ice Skates.

I am of the understanding that CT is hurting big time from the expansion of stores like Walmart into Canada, can anyone verify?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I am of the understanding that CT is hurting big time from the expansion of stores like Walmart into Canada, can anyone verify?

They are in the process of reinventing themselves to be a direct competitor to wal~mart. CDN Tire is now carrying more household items and has bought Marks Work Wearhouse. The big thing is that wal~mart does not give crappy tire $$, so it won't win teh hearts of Canadians.

As for their expansion into the US, they tried in the early to mid 80's and failed due to market differences and store layout expectations at that time.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    My answer to the thread's original question was going to be "Whatever demand south of the border for an all-in-one automotive/hardware/recreation/electronics/home store there is, it is surely served by Wal-mart or Target or Costco today..."

I'd say Canadian Tire is still unique in Canada due to the "Motomaster" brand. It's nothing too special, but they advertise unique tools, gadgets, and accessories pretty heavily up here. I admit I do swear by my "Motomaster Reflex Wiper Blades".

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yeah, Farm & Fleet is here in suburban Milwaukee, too. Tractor Supply stores are beginning to crop up everywhere, including urban areas.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 23 Sep 2013, 1:05 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Nov 2011, 4:24 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Mar 2009, 10:17 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 18 Nov 2008, 3:24 PM
  5. Replies: 6