Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Grad paper - sports franchise moves

Registered
    Nov 2006

Grad paper - sports franchise moves

Hello everyone,

I am a grad student working on a paper related to the importance of professional sports franchises to a city's image (and its development). It seems that some cities (Nashville) have deemed a professional football franchise to be of great importance, while others (Los Angeles) don't seem to care that their city has a team.

Why is this? I am wondering if anyone can point me to any particular resource materials other than local newspapers or if you have any other research ideas?

Thanks,
    Allen Bargfrede
    Last edited by allenbarg; 16 Nov 2006 at 12:16 PM. Reason: changing title

Registered
    May 2005
    Try these articles (they are critical of the economic impact of the industry):
    http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/regv23n2/coates.pdf
    http://www.umbc.edu/economics/wpapers/wp_03_103.pdf

This site has a list of articles both in support of and critical of sports franchises as an economic development tool: http://www.planning.unc.edu/courses/261/narcowich/

I have not seen such a thing, but I would imagine someone has also written on the social/cultural impact of sports. In my recent visit to Pittsburgh, sports were a huge part of the local culture. People were proud of them (and by extension the city) and their impressive new stadiums were a a significant part of the three rivers landscape.

Good luck.
    Last edited by wahday; 16 Nov 2006 at 2:47 PM.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I actually did an entire studio on the effects of stadiums/arena/etc. on a city and how their financing structure works in undergrad... but I can't tell you where I found the material.

You should check out Indianapolis and the Colts, the new stadium in New York, and a really good resource is http://fieldofschemes.com/ . Although obviously biased, kinda interesting. Hope that helps.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I wrote a similar paper in grad school with some statistical information to back up my findings. My hypothesis is there is an enmeasureable 'presitge factor' that each city places on their team. For instance would you even know about Green Bay, WI or Sacramento, CA if they didn't have sports teams? Some cities have total ownership of the team or the facility. Some are soley owned by private money. I compared how much certain cities shelled out to keep or get a team into their stadium and others that stuck it to the private money.

Take a look at St. Petersburg, FL probably the best example of this stadium game. They built the stadium to lure a team there. They built it without any guarantees and now sits vacant (in terms of pro teams).

The real question boils down to money in and product out.

If you want more information I'll be glad to share, but I won't be giving you my paper.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2006
    It seems difficult to compare Nashville and LA.

I think it would be interesting to look at cities that are more similar aside from the sports teams and then see how those cities handle the teams. I wonder how much the success of a team and the success of the city is related.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Thanks

Thanks for the leads so far everyone - it's very helpful!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Mar 2012, 2:59 PM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last post: 18 Oct 2010, 7:14 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 27 May 2010, 6:29 PM
  4. Franchise Bans
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 24 Mar 2004, 2:48 AM