Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Essay Editing Services

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2006

Essay Editing Services

Does anyone have any experience using an essay editing service (ie accepted.com or essayedge.com). The services are not cheap and I am trying to determine if it is worth it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    No, it is not worth it. The first thing you should be measured on is your grasp of the subject matter. These services most likely won't help you there (and I would argue, should not). The second thing they can help you with is writing style. By now you should already be able to write well, and if you can't then you need to get those skills, not look to someone else to cover for you.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm not sure what an essay editing service is, but I agree that you should be writing your own essays. Having someone proofread isn't a big deal, as even the best writers have trouble editing their own writing. I always have someone double-check my reports.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I would make a deal with someone else in your program... he/she agrees to proof read your stuff and you proof read his/her stuff.

Don't waste your money.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Having read the sample college admission and statement of purpose essays at accepted.com, I wouldn't bother with such services -- or, at the very least, with accepted.com. The sample essays struck me as being very obviously written with the help of a paid service, and seemed devoid of personality as a result.

Keep in mind, of course, that those of us responding in your thread are not necessarily on any graduate school admissions committees.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Editing and your work
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 05 Jun 2006, 1:04 PM