+ Reply to thread

Thread: US News Best Careers 2010

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008

US News Best Careers 2010

http://www.usnews.com/money/careers/...planner-2.html
    http://www.usnews.com/money/careers/

Well it made the 2010 list as well. Looks like they just cut and paste from last years profile. That Median salary is way off, Ive heard since the recession salaries have dropped by 30% and the APA salary survey isnt accurate. Thoughts?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    With all my beefs with APA, I would never question the accuracy of their works. The next salary survey may reflect the current recession more than last year's data.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Those are some pretty funny comments at the bottom. Looks like Stan wrote one of them.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I think what is misleading is the amount of urban planner jobs, just because it makes these lists doesnt mean that there are tons of positions open. A large metro may have 3-5 openings every 2 months or so and because many of the allied fields have had many cuts/layoffs over the last 2 years, there is much stiffer competition for jobs.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Apr 2009
    The comments below the article are spot-on. Unfortunately, it's not just US News and World Report echoing the myth that planning is a high-growth profession. University faculty tell students the same types of things (for obvious reasons)... "Don't worry, recessions are actually great times for planners with all the stimulative government spending!"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    The comments below the article are spot-on. Unfortunately, it's not just US News and World Report echoing the myth that planning is a high-growth profession. University faculty tell students the same types of things (for obvious reasons)... "Don't worry, recessions are actually great times for planners with all the stimulative government spending!"
    Obama and Michelle are leading for people to come work for community development, less paying careers.. What he wont tell you is he'll still give wall street a bailout and could care less if you are unemployed in a low paying career. Looks like US News goes along with the hype for green jobs, etc.

I did see an article on MSN that architects were the hardest hit by the recession, in which i previously worked in a firm. Cant argue with that, or the fact the majority of firm owners placed too many eggs in the housing bubble.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Only thing I got out of stimulus funding was having to work an extra 10-15 hours a week. Being that I am salary and this has been going on for more than a year its getting real old.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    The woman in the photo in the US News report can't be a planner. First, she knows how to wear a hard hat showing she has been to an actual job site before. Second, she has an actual plan in her hand rather than 8 1/2 x 11 copy of the plan.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by expat123 View post
    Obama and Michelle are leading for people to come work for community development, less paying careers.. What he wont tell you is he'll still give wall street a bailout and could care less if you are unemployed in a low paying career.
    Dude, as folks have asked before in other threads, can you please save your half-baked political ideas for relevant forums? It's getting old.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Dude, as folks have asked before in other threads, can you please save your half-baked political ideas for relevant forums? It's getting old.
    Its a discussion about the career of an urban planner and the future of it. They came out with statements and community initiatives that include the occupation. Politics does cross over with urban planning. Ive worked as a planner in 3 countries and its the same in these 3. Poltical decisions affect the employment, stability and future of the profession. I guess Detroit Planner should be quiet as well, as he complained about the effects of the Stimulus, which is political.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Its a discussion about the career of an urban planner and the future of it. They came out with statements and community initiatives that include the occupation. Politics does cross over with urban planning. Ive worked as a planner in 3 countries and its the same in these 3. Poltical decisions affect the employment, stability and future of the profession. I guess Detroit Planner should be quiet as well, as he complained about the effects of the Stimulus, which is political.
    No, there is a difference. DP's post was about the stimulus, which is political because it relates to the effects of government policy on the career. Saying things like
    What he wont tell you is he'll still give wall street a bailout and could care less if you are unemployed in a low paying career
    amounts to little more than a cliched political non sequiter... it says absolutely nothing substantial about any specific government policy and its effects. Ad hominem attacks professing to know the president's motives add nothing to the discussion whatsoever and serve only to upset those with different political beliefs.

If you have something to say about public policy, it would be helpful to do so without denigrating other people's character or pissing off those who disagree with you.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Sorry its the truth, urban planners wont get a bailout or any money for additional training. Prove me wrong otherwise dude.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Poltical decisions affect the employment, stability and future of the profession. I guess Detroit Planner should be quiet as well, as he complained about the effects of the Stimulus, which is political.
    Who said I was complaining? I am still working! Thats better than many these days. It is a bit stressful however.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Who said I was complaining? I am still working! Thats better than many these days. It is a bit stressful however.
    Right On! Hang in there, buddy!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Good news: Bad news
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Apr 2012, 1:56 PM
  2. Planning careers in WA
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Mar 2011, 10:23 AM
  3. Replies: 29